• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places to stay in Zariquiegui

Ptruong

Time of past OR future Camino
Both albergues there seemed to have closed. Any ideas where to stay or do we need to push on to Uterga or Puente la Reina? We will be there around September 7, 2021.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If you can push on there are options

I walked to Zariquiegui from Trinidad de Arre, then got a taxi back into Pamplona, did some sightseeing etc, took part in the fiesta that was going on with old friends and next morning got a taxi back to Zariquiegui.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Both albergues there seemed to have closed. Any ideas where to stay or do we need to push on to Uterga or Puente la Reina? We will be there around September 7, 2021.
Albergue Casa Baztan has availability on berking.con from 1 July. Albergue Camino del Perdon is said to be opening from 1 July. Given the fluidity of current events I would wait until much nearer my travel time before making any commitments.

Uterga is not a great distance from Zariquiegui. Depends of course where you begin! The idea of getting a taxi back to Pamplona is ok, but with sufficient mental energy, and a booking at the albergue on the left in Uterga, with its range of options from bunks in a common dormitory to private rooms, and an option for dinner, strikes me as achievable. I did it very recently, but before Covid, from Pamplona, and it was a delightful day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On a cold late April morning in 2017, I stopped in "Z" town for a Café con Leche at the old restaurant adjacent to the Camino. I sat next to the crackling fireplace in the corner until I was warm enough to continue on up to the Alto del Perdón thence down and eventually to the day's destination of Puente la Reina. Owing to its challenging pronunciation, Zariquiegui was affectionately referred to by English speaking pilgrims as simply "Z" town and the reference was instantly understood.

Where are you starting from that morning?

We wanted to start slow, and it was during San Fermin (the start was right when we were scheduled to arrive in Pamplona) so we did Orisson, Roncesvalles, Zubiri, Zabaldika, Uterga. Some of our friends didn't get a bed in Uterga so they took a taxi to Puenta la Reina. We never saw them again until the night we were leaving Santiago. We thought they were ahead of us. Turns out they stayed in Puenta la Reina a few days and were behind us!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are older and the idea of walking 10 miles a day for 50 days is a little scary.
It is good that you walk at your pace and distance everyday. What is easy for some can be difficult for others. Pick the distance you think is right for you. You can adjust daily as you watch the weather, and experience your own bodies. Walk your camino not someone else’s.

Thanks very much @Marbe2!

Even though I'm quite "young", I'd not have been able to cover the distance Pamplona - Puente la Reina "easy peasy", and I actually didn't in 2019..

And I'm very grateful that I did not to have to read such comments before walking my first Camino then. That would have been very discouraging to me.

@Ptruong
Just walk at your own speed. You'll arrive in SdC. I did, slowly, but it was a great experience.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have stayed in Zariquiegui before (not a great experience, actually, lots of people with large suitcases, all of us stuck in 2 crowded rooms 😳) and this year it seems all is closed.
So I’m sticking to Pamplona and Puente la Reina. Definitely different this year! But hey! 🙂

I walked to Zariquiegui from Trinidad de Arre, then got a taxi back into Pamplona, did some sightseeing etc, took part in the fiesta that was going on with old friends and next morning got a taxi back to Zariquiegui.
Our first Camino in 2008 hurt a bit as we rushed because of the terrible weather when we commenced in May. The albergue in PLReina was closed under water.
I also believe the first 100 km is when the damage is done.
So Jim the following year , we allowed 45 days and went up market a fraction in certain towns.
We stayed in a lovely hotel 1 km past the worst albergue the year before “L”
The next day we were advised on the river path into Pamplona.
Got there early , dropped off the backpacks and walked to Zariquiegui.
Did as you did , taxi back into Pamplona , big lunch and afternoon , fruit and walk only at night , taxi back to Zariquiegui then slowly down into PLR.
Would repeat if we have another Camino in that area.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, does anybody knows if it is some albergue in Zariquiegui open? On Gronze.com are these albergues missing and on camino ninja is not Information opening.

I didn’t like the albergue in Z town, even if it’s open, I recommend you continue to the next place.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did stay here in 2017 - I don't remember it as being a bad alburgue - I remember a good shower and we had a nice evening meal in good company but the beds were very cramped together in the bedrooms and there was black mould on the ceiling... I remember this because I was in a top bunk in the corner and I coughed and coughed all night long and was very glad to get some fresh air. I think there were too many beds for the space and perhaps too little ventilation but we were well looked after and it was a lovely start to the next morning walking to the Alto.

Hi, does anybody knows if it is some albergue in Zariquiegui open? On Gronze.com are these albergues missing and on camino ninja is not Information opening.
It is indeed odd that there are no albergues in Zariquiegui listed on Gronze.com.

This website https://www.alberguescaminosantiago.com lists two:
  • Albergue de Zariquiegui, Zariquiegui, Navarra – Este albergue se encuentra actualmente cerrado - so it is currently closed, provided the website is up to date

• Albergue San Andrés, Zariquiegui, Navarra – open all year
If you wish to walk soon, it may be best to contact them directly to find out what's open and what's closed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've now clicked repeatedly on the link www.alberguezariquiegui.com . The website opens quickly and without problems.

I emailed this albergue to ask whether they are open.

I emailed Gronze to ask why they don't list the two albergues that Zariquiegui has.

A forum member who currently walks on the Camino Frances posted less than a week ago in this post in the thread about What's the state of the Camino Francés right now - June 2021? when they walked through Zariquiegui: "In Zariquiegi, the bar and both albergues were closed. Fortunately the tiny grocery was open."

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That's not giving us much useful information to make our decisions on!
"Any ideas where to stay or do we need to push on to Uterga or Puente la Reina?"

My answer is:
Don't look for accommodation here, push on.

I emailed this albergue to ask whether they are open.

I emailed Gronze to ask why they don't list the two albergues that Zariquiegui has.
I've not heard back from either of them but yesterday Gronze.com did not show any albergue for Zariquiegui and today they list the Albergue San Andrés under the heading Zariquiegui.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back