• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places to stay, Leon to Villafranca

mike O Brien

Time of past OR future Camino
Started walking in 2003 and have done stages since then. Last walked in 2011 and finished in Leon
I am walking in early august from Leon to Villafranca del Bierzo , can anyone recommend a must stay in place along that route, and places to avoid. Thanks in advance, Mike

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hostal San Martin in Leon
Albergue Leo Villafranca
I've mentioned these on other posts but worth recommending again.

I second Albergue Leo in Villafranca

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hostal San Martin in Leon. Good facilities, close to the cathedral and the people were very helpful. I'll stay there again next time.
Rabanal , Albergue de Peregrinas del Pilar- great atmostphere and my favourite village
Villafranca, Hospederia San Nicholas El Real

Last edited:
Hostal San Martin in Leon
Albergue Leo Villafranca
I've mentioned these on other posts but worth recommending again.
Thanks for your help, very much appreciated

I am walking in early august from Leon to Villafranca del Bierzo , can anyone recommend a must stay in place along that route, and places to avoid. Thanks in advance, Mike

What type of accommodation are you looking for?
Albergues, Casa Rural, Hotels, Historic Buildings?
Budget per night ?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What type of accommodation are you looking for?
Albergues, Casa Rural, Hotels, Historic Buildings?
Budget per night ?
I don't have any preferences on this trip, but would like to try anything that fellow walkers have good reports of. I have stayed in Albergues, and Hostals mostly, but just looking for a steer/recommendation of a must stay in place. I have an open mind on the type of accommodation and price.

I've heard many reports that the Case Verde in Hotel de Orbigo is wonderful; I missed it on my first go.

My daily expenses on Camino averaged to 27 euros, but I did splurge in Astorga to deal with leg injuries and checked into the Via de la Plata spa hotel there -- if you find that you have terrible shin splits, their special ice-cold/hot immersion basins for the legs were amazing. Also, if you stay with them, there are 2 or 3 places in the square that they own and you take your hotel ticket with you to acquire a pilgrim supper (or at least that was the case when I stayed in 2014). I intend to treat my dear Spouse to a night there this year as he will have come all the way from SJPDP and I am merely meeting him mid-way this time.

I stayed in a Cast Rural 2 villages below O' Cebreiro on the day of the descent from there. That was very nice (they had *heat*, and I and my walking companion had come down with colds).

The parochial in Astorga was difficult. The hospitaleros were lovely, but the dorms were very crowded and we were actually subjected to a couple making out in a bunk in the middle of the room. And for whatever reason, the youth (presumably) felt a need to draw penises all over the doors in the WC's. Kitchen facilities were pretty barren. But it was also only 5 euros and I still needed rest and time for my walking companion to catch up, so....

We found the municipale in Vega de la Valcarce was clean and comfortable and a lovely pair of young women from Brussels decided to cook for all of us which was nice. There's a funny/quaint al fresco dining/kitchen area.

Make what you can of these little notes.

Hostal San Martin in Leon. Good facilities, close to the cathedral and the people were very helpful. I'll stay there again next time.
Rabanal , Albergue de Peregrinas del Pilar- great atmostphere and my favourite village
Villafranca, Hospederia San Nicholas El Real

Agreed! Good ones, all three!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've heard many reports that the Case Verde in Hotel de Orbigo is wonderful; I missed it on my first go.

My daily expenses on Camino averaged to 27 euros, but I did splurge in Astorga to deal with leg injuries and checked into the Via de la Plata spa hotel there -- if you find that you have terrible shin splits, their special ice-cold/hot immersion basins for the legs were amazing. Also, if you stay with them, there are 2 or 3 places in the square that they own and you take your hotel ticket with you to acquire a pilgrim supper (or at least that was the case when I stayed in 2014). I intend to treat my dear Spouse to a night there this year as he will have come all the way from SJPDP and I am merely meeting him mid-way this time.

I stayed in a Cast Rural 2 villages below O' Cebreiro on the day of the descent from there. That was very nice (they had *heat*, and I and my walking companion had come down with colds).

The parochial in Astorga was difficult. The hospitaleros were lovely, but the dorms were very crowded and we were actually subjected to a couple making out in a bunk in the middle of the room. And for whatever reason, the youth (presumably) felt a need to draw penises all over the doors in the WC's. Kitchen facilities were pretty barren. But it was also only 5 euros and I still needed rest and time for my walking companion to catch up, so....

We found the municipale in Vega de la Valcarce was clean and comfortable and a lovely pair of young women from Brussels decided to cook for all of us which was nice. There's a funny/quaint al fresco dining/kitchen area.

Make what you can of these little notes.

Thanks for that info, appreciated

I would spend the night in Léon at Albergue del Monasterio de las Benedictinas. In Astorga I would stay at Albergue de peregrinos Siervas de María. The next day I would walk up to Foncébadon and spend the night there, enjoying the once abandoned village (in 2001 there wasn't a soul) while spending the night at the Albergue Parroquial Domus Dei, where there is a side room where you can spread out a mattress and sleep in your sleeping bag. In the morning I would go over the 1,504 meter pass and descend the mountain to Ponferrada and stay at the Albergue de Perregrinos San Nicolas de Flue. In the morning I would probably stop at Villafranca for lunch but -- weather and health permitting -- go on to the hamlet of Trabelo and stay at the municipal albergue.

I would spend the night in Léon at Albergue del Monasterio de las Benedictinas. In Astorga I would stay at Albergue de peregrinos Siervas de María. The next day I would walk up to Foncébadon and spend the night there, enjoying the once abandoned village (in 2001 there wasn't a soul) while spending the night at the Albergue Parroquial Domus Dei, where there is a side room where you can spread out a mattress and sleep in your sleeping bag. In the morning I would go over the 1,504 meter pass and descend the mountain to Ponferrada and stay at the Albergue de Perregrinos San Nicolas de Flue. In the morning I would probably stop at Villafranca for lunch but -- weather and health permitting -- go on to the hamlet of Trabelo and stay at the municipal albergue.
Thank you for all your suggestions, very much appreciated. Michael

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am finishing my walk in Villafranca. Any suggestions on the best way to get to Vigo. Thanks

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back