• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places to stay Santiago

Humbertico

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan 2018
Peregrinos i need tips on best places to stay for two days in Santiago near the Cathedral. I am making advanced booking for late Oct.

Gracias!
Humbertico

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Humbertico
I have stayed three times at San Martin Pinario and can recommend it for pilgrims. I have booked at: info@sanmartinpinario.eu and specifically requested a pilgrim room. The cost was 23 or 24 euros per person per night, including a buffet breakfast. As you will be travelling with your wife, you may want to ask about a double room on the pilgrim floor (one floor, still looking like its previous function as a seminary residence). I travel alone, but believe that I have seen previous postings where persons travelling as a couple have shared accommodation there. So long as you know the date of your arrival in Santiago, it doesn't hurt to book ahead. I met one pilgrim who told me that she had booked her room there before leaving Korea to walk the VdlP. It is getting busier, as I have seen postings from forum members who couldn't get a booking. Buen camino.

What's your budget? The Parador is quite close to the cathedral, very nice, has a centuries long tradition of hospitality to pilgrims, and takes reservations, but it may cost a bit more than you want to spend. There are a number of quite nice options that can get you a private room at a somewhat lower cost. And there are some albergues that are quite popular if you want to extend the dormitory experience a little longer and spend even less money.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I stayed at apartamentos Domus Stellae and loved it.. It was really reasonable and extremely close to the cathedral. I have also stayed at the last stamp albergue and it was a nice place, but obviously a very different experience from the apartment.

Last edited:
I, like you Humbertico, am rather new to the forum and not an old timer here. Some people become very jaded over time and may be tired of "stupid" questions. As a newbie, I am sure I have many that irritate someone that has seen the same one over and over. I also have likely been "guilty" of not using the search function. I appreciate the question and the very kind responses herein. It will now show up on my search of Santiago :) Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
San Martin Pinario facing the cathedral.www.hsanmartinpinario.com.It is a former seminary now a hotel where one floor is specifically for pilgrims.Single room rate with ensuite shower inc.breakfast for about 20 euros .I would téléphone to reserve and confirm that you are a pilgrim.
I stayed here for four days after I arrived on my first caminio. Need time to recover from cold. I would recommend it.

I wonder if Humbertico might be motivated, as I have been, to ask "stupid" questions inorder to initiate conversations because he's excited and dying to talk about his planned trip? And nobody in our real lives has any interest in talking about it. Here's a suggestion about improving such a question, though. State your priorities: close to the cathedral? Quiet, cheap, communal meal, friendly hospis, washer and dryer, will store my stuff I send ahead, contemplative, can come and go with no curfew? What are you looking for? And responses should specify reasons for that recommendation. That being said, I recommend not booking so far ahead, to allow for any itinerary changes along the way. Being open to spontaneous changes is good on the Camino. With blessings from KinkyOne's mother, Jill

I heard about San Martin Pinario from other forum members and was attracted to the price, the location, and the breakfast buffet. I had no idea that the building was so attractive, really part of the cathedral setting. I knew that the room was basic, but private, with private bathroom facilities. Frankly, for what I could afford, this was ideal for me and I remain grateful for those who told me about it. But I don't expect that anyone should go to any particular bother to offer all possible details. Others have suggested albergues in Santiago which suited them, but without details, except sometimes general information on location. That is adequate and I remain grateful. I don't know when I may arrive in Santiago with inadequate funds for San Martin Pinario or be unable to get a room there. I am not sure why there is an issue that questions should always be addressed to the search function. I like to gradually get to know new pilgrims, as they introduce themselves and ask questions which reveal their priorities for their caminos. I like to respond with information which shows that I am sensitive to how they present themselves. But then, I have not been participating in this forum for as long as many others, who may be tired of hearing the same questions. Maybe they could just not respond to questions which they feel tired of answering over and over?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I understand how long time forum members tire of seeing the same question asked over and over again, and how frustrating it is to know that there are many other threads with the answers the OP is looking for, if he/she would only use the search function. BUT... if you don’t want to answer the question, don’t answer the question. Why be snarky? (And I’m looking at my good pal K1 when I say this). New members will someday be veteran members, and the more we create a vibe of tolerance and helpfulness, the better the forum will be.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’ve stayed at hostel/hotel libredon in fonseca plaza the last two years, at the end on my walk. Both time were fabulous. I highly recommend this place.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
With blessings from KinkyOne's mother, Jill

For the record, I ended my earlier post with this because K1 had said in an earlier post (that's gone now) that he doesn't bless God; just his mother. I am quite certain I am NOT old enough to be K1's mother. And if I was, I would ground him to his room for shooting off his mouth.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Peregrinos i need tips on best places to stay for two days in Santiago near the Cathedral. I am making advanced booking for late Oct.

Gracias!
Humbertico
Humbertico, I always like staying at the LaSalle Hotel off San Roque I believe. It’s a short walk to the bus station and the Catheral. The staff is nice and helpful the school yard next to the hotel can be loud but I find it interesting. They have different rooms pensions, and albergues.

Have Stayed 4 times in Santiago....best to book.....first time was at "The Last Stamp", which is pod - like & has a curtain across bunk beds for privacy. Next -last October - I stayed 2 nights at the Huge Seminario Menor, 15 minutes walk to the cathedral. I had a fab private room, on the 4 th floor, shared showers & a big kitchen & mini-mart on bottom floor. ( no elevator.)€ 25.
Then Fogar De Teodomiro, closer to cathedral, & bar next door. Rooms have 4 bunks to a room. Nice relaxing lounges. I stayed 4 days. No kitchen. €20.@ night
My last one was free this June, due to the fact that 80 yo Nona washed the marble stairs & I fell down them wearing thongs!!!! Can't tell you the name. ......
One day I'd like to stay at the Parador, book the lucky pilgrims free lunch, (10 allocated,) for €200 a night.....dream on......
Love

Have Stayed 4 times in Santiago....best to book.....first time was at "The Last Stamp", which is pod - like & has a curtain across bunk beds for privacy. Next -last October - I stayed 2 nights at the Huge Seminario Menor, 15 minutes walk to the cathedral. I had a fab private room, on the 4 th floor, shared showers & a big kitchen & mini-mart on bottom floor. ( no elevator.)€ 25.
Then Fogar De Teodomiro, closer to cathedral, & bar next door. Rooms have 4 bunks to a room. Nice relaxing lounges. I stayed 4 days. No kitchen. €20.@ night
My last one was free this June, due to the fact that 80 yo Nona washed the marble stairs & I fell down them wearing thongs!!!! Can't tell you the name. ......
One day I'd like to stay at the Parador, book the lucky pilgrims free lunch, (10 allocated,) for €200 a night.....dream on......
Love

Off season when I go, it can be had for a cool 120.00. Well worth a reward after the walk

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Gracias!
Humbertico

Hello @Humbertico I second all those who suggest stayyst San Marco de Pinario just across the street from the Cathedral. Use the link for booking that others have provided but please note that you need to make clear that it is pilgrim accommodation you want as it also functions as a hotel with rooms at hotel prices. When I was originally trying to book it involved a phone call to confirm some details but as my Spanish is very limited had the support if Google translate. The building is beautiful but was later used as a seminary so the top floor pigrim rooms are spartan but clean, comfortable & en-suite. The breakfast is excellent, as is lunch and there is a communal room/bar to meet up with others. Buen Camino!

I’ve stayed at hostel/hotel libredon in fonseca plaza the last two years, at the end on my walk. Both time were fabulous. I highly recommend this place.
We stayed there too. Ah, the luxury of a cloth pillow case!!! Wonderful location and people

I also stayed at The Last Stamp this past Camino in April/May and loved my experience there, especially the privacy of the Pods. At the end of my first Camino in 2013 I stayed at the Hotel Rua which is directly opposite where the old pilgrims office used to be. This was also a wonderful experience and I had a room directly overlooking the street below and could see the newly arriving Pilgrims each morning, as well as listening to those wonderful street performers who sing such beautiful operatic arias.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.