• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places to swim along Camino Frances

madwild

Time of past OR future Camino
Camio Frances, Camino Norte (2013)
Hola everybody!
I am nearly on my Way (starting May 6th from SJDPP). I couldn´t be more excited&anxious at the same time:) I have been a quiet reader to all of the posts and I have learned so much from all of you. So a BIG THANK YOU for everyone who has shared their expierences. They really have helped a newbie like me pack better, train more and let go!
So my question is: Is there a nice place any of you would reccomend for a detour/rest day that would have a lake/river to swim in?
Cheers!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Gosh! Good question. You don't pass many lakes really - only the reservoir outside Logrono springs to mind. One place where pilgs like to get their feet wet is Ribadiso just before Arzua, but whether or not you could actually swim there I can't remember. It might be too shallow.

Buen Camino!

Hi Madwild,
You have indicated you are doing camino Frances and Norte during 2013.
May i suggest you save your all your swimming for the lovely coastal path and when and if you reach Muxia / Finasterre :D
Have a great walk,
David

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At Boadilla del Camino the private albergue "En El Camino" has its own swimming pool in a garden setting. You can stay in the albergue or upgrade to a private room (bed and breakfast) in the main house.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367629404.272660.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367629404.272660.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,959
As kanga has wrote some albergues have swimming pools, but as I understand madwild he/she is more interested in natural swimming environment :)

You'll cross many rivers, but they're more like creeks or let's say shallow rivers, so I don't know about swimming, but for shure you will be able to tuck your tired feet in them.

First larger water area I can think of is just before Logrono, but it is a natural park for wild birds. I can also remember Plantano de la Grajera (3,8km after Logrono) with large picnic area, but when I was there (23.05.2011) a lot of fishermen were there. So I think that's more like a fishing pond rather than lake for swimming.

Then there were local people by the river just after Belorado, but nobody really swimming.

Another artificial lake Embalse de Barcena is near Ponferrada. It's few kms off the Camino so I can't tell you more.

Next place I could think of is Embalse de Belesar before Portomarin, but don't really know if swimming is allowed there althought a couple of pilgrims told me they're going to stay somewhere in that area just because of swimming.

I saw people in the river after Palas de Rei (app.4km after) near the private albergue Casa Domingo at Ponte Campana Mato, which I also recommend as a perfect spot for relaxation.

Ribadiso (with nice albergue) before Arzua was already mentioned.

And if you're gonna walk to Finisterre there's a nice place to swim (I saw kids in the river on 24.06.2011) at Ponte Maceira before Negreira. And the Embalse de Fervenza before Lago with camping place as I remember signposts.

In the end of course Cee, Corcubion, Estorde, Sardineiro and Fisterra with nice sandy beaches. I don't know Muxia though I've heard there's very beautiful also.

Have a nice time. Ultreia!

@ madwild:

Oh, if you want to see some photos of those places I mentioned send me a PM with your e-mail.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Boadilla was the only albergue I found with a swimming pool. There is also a swimming "beach" on the river near the bridge at Molinaseca. The river is full of snow melt in spring so it would want to be pretty warm before I tried it!

The Camino Ingles has a great swimming opportunity at Mino. It's a lovely beach in a cove and you can just wade into the sea. I bet it's cold, but I was there in autumn and loads of people were in there! Buen Camino! :D

I am surprised no one has mentioned Albergue Camino Real in Calzadilla de la Ceuza. The pool there is a godsend after a day of walking on the dusty, treeless, fountainless path across Palencia.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, many of albergues have swimming pools, but madwild was asking for lake/river detour for swimming :D

I remember another one which is really a detour for a few kilometers. There is app.10km detour between Melide and Arzua to the south - Embalse de Porto de Mouros. Even found quite nice place to stay: http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/casa-lu ... 44194623X5 or
http://casa-lucas.com/

biarritzdon said:
I am surprised no one has mentioned Albergue Camino Real in Calzadilla de la Ceuza. The pool there is a godsend after a day of walking on the dusty, treeless, fountainless path across Palencia.
I'll be racing through that village in future. That's where I got shot. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Quite many albergues have pools but they are VERY small and you cannot really swim in them. The pools are unheated and the water is cold. Many pools are in use only during the summer months.

All pools are used by pilgrims to soak they aching and often blistered feet!!!

There are many many beautiful beaches along the coast line if you walk the Norte, Portugues or to Finisterre/ Muxia.

I remember several towns had a "playa fluvial" (river beach). Before Pamplona the camino cross a bridge which has a popular river beach to the left of it. Burgos has a very nice sandy river beach near the Fuente Blancas camping area (which has an albergue). Villafranca del Bierzo I believe has a river beach. I'm sure there were more that I can't remember!

If you love swimming in the ocean, the Camino del Norte might be right for you. It passes so many amazing beaches.

Many camino towns have "rivers" running through them. Some are swim-able, but you don´t often see the locals in the water... they have polideportivos for that! Still, I know in my area the rivers/canals in
Burgos
Carrion de los Condes
Sahagun
Mansilla de las Mulas and
Puente Villarente
Boadilla -- Fromista

are all surrounded by parks and are more or less swim-able, if not wade-able. If you want to poke around the river, just ask a local kid how to get down the banks. Some places are wildlife habitat, though, or part of irrigation or flood-control systems, so the water might move awfully fast, or be otherwise unwise to approach.

I´ve been in the Rio Esla many times (the Camino Vadiniense follows along it, into Mansilla), it is a delightful trout stream, but sometimes runs dangerously fast.
I swam in the Rio Porma in Puente Villarente back in 2001. It is also a fast-moving little river and a wonderful COLD swim, there´s even a bathing beach alongside and a brand-new pilgrim/pedestrian bridge across it, right where we swam. I also took a swim at Molinaseca a few summers ago, where they dam the river and make a lovely beach. Too crowded for any real swimming, but still a lot of relaxing fun.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If you are tempted to swim at the ocean beach ar Finisterre just the other side of the hill at the back of the town, take GREAT care. There is a fast dangerous current from left to right along the beach, and the water is cold. There are notices warning of the danger. I saw a young women very close to being swept out to sea and drowning.

I have only tried the riparian pool at Molinaseca (to cries of El Aqua es fria! I responded, No por los canadienses!) and a quick dip in the Rio Esla just downstream of Mansilla las Mulas, but would echo the warning about the sea at Finisterre. Even the surf was a bit rough at Zauratz on the del Norte, but other beaches were far more agreeable. The city-long beach at Laredo is extraordinary as is the beach at Islares.

There are no decent places to SWIM [wadding was not mentioned] on the Frances.
On the Norte you have plenty,you be the judge but suggest a populated beach.

Be careful in Finastere as advised
In Muxia you two or three lovely bays within the village and all close to a cafe.

Enjoy your camino's Madwild,
David

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I came across a thread several weeks back about pools along the Camino Frances and copied the info to a word doc for later reference. Unfortunately the original poster of this info is unknown :oops:

My Three Favorite Pools Along the Camino de Santiago

Walking all day through the heat and dust of northern Spain in the summer there was never a sight as inviting to me as that of a big pool. There are alburges now that have their own pools, usually smaller lap pools or even smaller foot pools, but my passion has always been for the big municipal pools in towns like Hontanas, Obrigo and Portomarin.

The pool in Hontanas is communal and is about 50m long. It is located about 500m down the road, almost at the edge of town, down the main road and is completely worth the trip. It has lots of green grass around it and a nice bar on premises which serves light food as well as cold beer.
In Obrigo the pool is across the river via the new short bridge (just follow the signs saying “piscina” which is Spanish for pool). Here you will find the biggest pool along the Camino. Over 100m long and very wide this pool does require that you wear a cap when you swim but you can get one of those for a euro at the entrance desk. There is a very cool little restaurant/bar right next to the pool and a large grassy area, almost a park, with big trees and shade around the pool to lounge around in when not swimming.

The prettiest pool I saw was in Portomarin. This pool is large and free and is setup as an infinity pool overlooking the river below. A mere 5 minute walk from the main street this pool was my favorite as it always seemed full of people and the view is second to none.

A few quick tips on the pools in Spain. They are free but in some cases you will need a swim cap to enter, do not bring your own as you can get one from the front desks for free or 1 euro a piece and it is not worth carrying your own for the one or two times you may need it. They are very clean but do remember to shower afterwards to get the chlorine off as this does dry your skin a lot and it is no fun to walk the next day with chlorine bleached skin in the sun. Be careful of staying in the sun too long. You get some strange tan lines on the Camino and it may be tempting to try and mitigate these with an afternoon session pool side but the last thing you want in the morning is a sunburned back of legs. I had a great time swimming in Spain and the pool is an obvious spot to spend some time with friends after a hot, long day walking. Just keep your eyes open for that special “piscina” sign and enjoy!

I swam in rivers at least three times on the Camino. Off the top of my head I can remember the locations of two of them. In Villafranca Bierzo in Leon there is a swimming beach on the Rio Burbia. It was delightful. I also swam in the Sarria River in Samos in Galicia. Samos is on an alternate route from Triacastela to Sarria. I thought it was a lovely way to go, the monastery there is picture perfect! anyhow, there are definitely places to swim on the Frances

Buen Camino!

€149,-
I came across a thread several weeks back about pools along the Camino Frances and copied the info to a word doc for later reference. Unfortunately the original poster of this info is unknown :oops:

My Three Favorite Pools Along the Camino de Santiago

Walking all day through the heat and dust of northern Spain in the summer there was never a sight as inviting to me as that of a big pool. There are alburges now that have their own pools, usually smaller lap pools or even smaller foot pools, but my passion has always been for the big municipal pools in towns like Hontanas, Obrigo and Portomarin.

The pool in Hontanas is communal and is about 50m long. It is located about 500m down the road, almost at the edge of town, down the main road and is completely worth the trip. It has lots of green grass around it and a nice bar on premises which serves light food as well as cold beer.
In Obrigo the pool is across the river via the new short bridge (just follow the signs saying “piscina” which is Spanish for pool). Here you will find the biggest pool along the Camino. Over 100m long and very wide this pool does require that you wear a cap when you swim but you can get one of those for a euro at the entrance desk. There is a very cool little restaurant/bar right next to the pool and a large grassy area, almost a park, with big trees and shade around the pool to lounge around in when not swimming.

The prettiest pool I saw was in Portomarin. This pool is large and free and is setup as an infinity pool overlooking the river below. A mere 5 minute walk from the main street this pool was my favorite as it always seemed full of people and the view is second to none.

A few quick tips on the pools in Spain. They are free but in some cases you will need a swim cap to enter, do not bring your own as you can get one from the front desks for free or 1 euro a piece and it is not worth carrying your own for the one or two times you may need it. They are very clean but do remember to shower afterwards to get the chlorine off as this does dry your skin a lot and it is no fun to walk the next day with chlorine bleached skin in the sun. Be careful of staying in the sun too long. You get some strange tan lines on the Camino and it may be tempting to try and mitigate these with an afternoon session pool side but the last thing you want in the morning is a sunburned back of legs. I had a great time swimming in Spain and the pool is an obvious spot to spend some time with friends after a hot, long day walking. Just keep your eyes open for that special “piscina” sign and enjoy!
I know this is an old post, is the information still up to date ?
Bill

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back