• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places we would not recommend

frances

Unless you like to sleep in a locked building until after 8:00 AM., with no running water between 10PM and 8:00 AM, I would avoid the Parochial Albergue in Acebo. Not my finest hours!

Moderator comment - Be aware that the views expressed here are personal and one person's worst place to stay may not be another person's. WM

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Re: not recommended

I'm so sorry to hear that! That parochial albergue was very high on my list of favourites in 2008 - perhaps there are no volunteers to operate it in "off" months? Pity.
Buen Camino,

I agree with Diedre. The Parrochial Albergue in El Acebo is on my list of better albergues. I guess that you had a bad experience towards the end of the season. It's a pity that the hospitalero didn't warn/inform you of the hours, because I can assure you that it wasn't like that when I stayed there in June 2008. Anne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Let me add to your list of not recommended.

8.6 km past O’Cebreiro is Alto do Poio. If you cross the road to the Hostal Santa Maria do Poio, you will come across the rudest, and obviously the most unhappy bar owner in Spain. After almost four weeks on the Camino, it was my first really unpleasant experience. If I’d walked only 3.5 km more, there is a beautiful new albergue in Fonfria.

Three different reports in the past month adds up to a warning for you all: When you enter Boadilla del Camino, DO NOT stop at the first bar/albergue, a new-ish private place on the right. Name is reported as either El Pozo or La Mochila, in any case the owner seems to be motivated entirely by money. The bartender is nice, but the owner is a troll. If you don´t agree to the full dinner and room deal at the outset, the owner gets nasty and closes the bar and tells you to get out. And those who agree to stay (at least in winter) find there is no hot water, and then no heat after about 11 p.m. The owner by then has left the premises.

Be warned.
Reb.

Re: Single travelling Peregrinas should avoid Albergue Putzu

Hello.
I also got notice that the owner is molesting single travelling Peregrinas.
How will someone run a refuge with such bad reports?
Buen Camino
Jochen

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Re: No unjust to Albergue "La Mochila"

Hello Rebecah.
Name is reported as either El Pozo or La Mochila
I think you mean the Albergue "El Puzu". Is that so?
We should not be unjust to the owner of the refuge "La Mochila".
But I cannot find the refuge "La Mochila" in the internet. Who can help me to find precise information about this refuge?
Buen Camino

Re: Refuge "La Muchila" is NOT "El Putzu"

Hello.
In the meantime I found out, that the refuge "La Muchila" at Itero de la Vega has nothing to do with the refuge "Putzu" at Boadilla del Camino with the nasty Hospitalero.
Buen Camino
Jochen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Francisco J. Garcia said:
Hola,

I will start in SJPP sept the 3rd, where I can find the list of municipal albergues for the Camino Frances?

Thank you.

Francisco J. Garcia.

If you go to the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP, you will be given a list of ALL (well almost all) the Albergues along the Camino Frances.

On another note....the Casa Nostra albergue in Castrojeriz is to be avoided if it is cold outside. They have NO heat. I stayed there two nights ago and it was 8 degrees celsius during the day. Good thing I have a good sleeping bag.

Four weeks of walking on the camino last october: The only albergue I would not recommend is 'Quarto Cantones' in Belorado. Cold water, cold room.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Alberque Camino Real in Calzadilla de la Cueza was not one I go back to. It was dirty, there are open urinals in the unisex bathroom (not a prude but these are particularly "out there"), no heat, and very noisy. The plus is that it opens at noon and there is a pool in the patio.

I stayed at a private albergue at Fromista and while the facilities were good, the attitude of the owners was very unwelcoming. We arrived in the torrential rain, soaked through and all our clothing very wet and damp. The washing facilities are outside, so you cannot wash your clothes if it is raining. The clothes drying rack was also outside, so again one cannot dry any clothes while it is raining and the owners made no effort to try to make alternative arrangements for us to dry our clothes - e.g bringing the clothes drying rack inside to the sitting room with a gas fire. Consequently, we all had our wet clothes draped all over our bunk beds in the dormitory, none of which got dry. Throughout the albergue there were rules telling us what we couldn't do and it was rather like being in school. The albergue was the owner's private home as well and while we were allowed in the sitting room on certain chairs, there was a big 'private' notice on the couch in the middle of the room, which was reserved for the owners only. One pilgrim checked herself out and into the hostal next door because she felt so unwelcome. The rest of us just endured the strange attitude towards us, but were quite relieved when we left the next morning to escape the atmosphere.

Four weeks of walking on the camino last october: The only albergue I would not recommend is 'Quarto Cantones' in Belorado. Cold water, cold room.

Well, I had a different experience there this summer.
I was there in June and found it to be a sweet place.
Hot water and good food.
Maybe it's a winter problem?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would never in a million years sleep at San Javier in Astorga or Hornillos Municipal.
I've never passed either when there are not bedbugs.

I would never in a million years sleep at San Javier in Astorga or Hornillos Municipal.

I stayed in both those places in June of 2013. I didn't experience any bedbug issues but I did have a treated sheet and pillowcase with me. I had my own single bed by the window in San Javier so was quite happy with it.

Donna in Vancouver

I've stayed in both San Javier in Astorga (April 2013) and the Albergue in Hornillios (April 2011). I liked San Javier, it was full of character. I did NOT like Hornillios.
I didn't get bedbugs in either. Maybe it was the time of year?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A pilgrimage often leads to a holy place, a church. The pilgrimage bares the stamp of the pilgrims’s seven key words: simplicity, spirituality, slowness, silence, freedom, light-heartedness and sharing.

We stayed here in April 2012 and had a great experience. Warm rooms, loads of hot water for both showering and washing clothes, they even had a warm drying room for washed clothes. The food was great, prepared in their own restaurant and we we found the owners both very friendly and helpful. This is an extract from my blog from that day

We all got into Belorado at 16.00 and booked into a private albergue, the Albergue de Peregrinos Quatro Cantones.
This albergue cost only €5.00 and had a restaurant and bar as part of it. The staff couldn't have been nicer. There was plenty of hot water and the whole place was so warm. We washed all our clothes from yesterday and had them dry in no time. We met some very nice people here, a young guy, Mike, from New York and his brother in law who had walked from St Jean. They were walking about 40km a day as they were tied for time. They were walking to Burgos in the morning then taking the train to Madrid and then a flight home. We also met Ulrike, who I thought at first was an American who spoke very good German but I learned a few days later that she was a German who spoke perfect English with an American accent, a really lovely girl. We shared a table at the meal with Mike and his brother in law. We were discussing how nice the staff were and in particular the girl who checked us in, she was a real beauty and couldn't be more helpful. Mike got a little tipsy with all the wine and told her, as she served us, that she was the most beautiful woman he had seen since he left St Jean, she smiled and said "but Senor, that is because you have spent most of that time looking at the ground". Sharp as a tack.

First class albergue and first class staff.

Alberque Camino Real in Calzadilla de la Cueza was not one I go back to. It was dirty, there are open urinals in the unisex bathroom (not a prude but these are particularly "out there"), no heat, and very noisy. The plus is that it opens at noon and there is a pool in the patio.
If one only walks up to 15 miles a day the is every chance that this will be one of the albergues that you will stay in. There is no supermercardo and the the Albergue ( which has no kitchen) is owned by the same chap who owns the only Bar/Hostal in town. In 2003 I was on a tight budget and felt that I had been forced into eating dinner at the bar. The resentment I felt was over shadowed by one of the finest menus of that camino.
More recently I have been twice and the standard of the food at the bar has crashed though the floor .........por me es nooo sooo guuut.
The other option of course is to get a far more expensive room at the Hostal if the Albergue is not to ones liking.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Three different reports in the past month adds up to a warning for you all: When you enter Boadilla del Camino, DO NOT stop at the first bar/albergue .................
Be warned.
Reb.
The next albergue after this is the municipal which looks a bit like a jail house ....continue to the third albergue hidden behind high walls and giant wooden doors. Here Eduardo and his Mum run one of the best Albergues in the Meseta .... 'En el Camino'

I stayed in both those places in June of 2013. I didn't experience any bedbug issues but I did have a treated sheet and pillowcase with me. I had my own single bed by the window in San Javier so was quite happy with it.

Donna in Vancouver

On my first Camino, I stayed in Javier and loved it.
But the next few times, it not only had bedbugs, when I told the fellow, he just shrugged.
So I avoid it now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've stayed in both San Javier in Astorga (April 2013) and the Albergue in Hornillios (April 2011). I liked San Javier, it was full of character. I did NOT like Hornillios.
I didn't get bedbugs in either. Maybe it was the time of year?

Could have been - April is early and the little buggers haven't hatched in many places.
You were LUCKY! :p

I loved San Javier in May 2011. I first went to the Municipal, where there was a long long queue and it smelled strongly of sweat. By contrast San Javier was friendly and full of character, and no bedbugs. Also one of the best ratio of showers, basins and loos per pilgrim that I've met.

I loved San Javier in May 2011. I first went to the Municipal, where there was a long long queue and it smelled strongly of sweat. By contrast San Javier was friendly and full of character, and no bedbugs. Also one of the best ratio of showers, basins and loos per pilgrim that I've met.

As I said, I agree that the first time I stayed here, it was lovely.
Could just be that the particular room I was assigned had bugs, but we found them in several beds, so we left.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A shrug could mean that they know, and are taking action.

In this case, it meant, "We give up!" which I understand.
But it also means I will not sleep there again.

It must be horribly frustrating for them.
I know I ran into bedbugs at Ave Fenix one year.
They arranged for a private room on a farm and explained that just one week earlier, they had taken all the beds out of the rooms, sprayed the rooms, bought new mattresses, and BLOWTORCHED the frames, only to have a pilgrim bring bedbugs back into the facility a week later.

Bedbugs are something I feel pilgrims should be educated about at each albergue.
I wish I lived in Spain; I'd print up handouts and leave them at each albergue.

In the case of Hornillos, it's a filthy place and even if there were not bugs, I'd pass it by.

I have stayed in San Javier five times and never seen a bed bug. One winter they were using only the top floor while they fumigated the second floor. That means they know they have bed bugs, and are doing something about it. Pilgrims should protect themselves. A dire, somewhat inappropriate illustration was dentists that refused to treat HIV-positive patients. Then someone pointed out to them that any of their patients could be HIV-positive without them knowing about it. They went to universal protective practices, and now treat everyone. Treat every albergue as though it has bed bugs, and you cannot lose.;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did my first camino like a rabbit in headlights, never even gave a thought to bed bugs (there was so much else to think about) and never saw one! I did see people badly bitten though but never in the same albergues as mine. It never even worried me, ah the innocence lost!
The second year, HA! I think it may have been in Monte Gozo, but I cannot tell for sure of course... I brought the critters - well I must have... - into the very nice hotel I stayed in in Santiago. It was horrid as I discovered I was allergic to their bites, I suffered for weeks afterwards. Put me off this time walking to Fisterra and Muxia, I was in a terrible state and went home :(
Bother, I forget what the question was! Ah yes! The one place I would not recommend is the municipal albergue in Larrasoaña. But then however 'awful' , I still had a good time and a good laugh and I lived to tell the tale! It was an experience! And I met lovely people there. And it gave us something to talk - and laugh - about for days!

I also choose to stay in San Javier and no bed bugs in four stays(all in May) Love the ambience. Stayed in Ave Fenix on first two Caminos with no problem but now all the talk of bed bugs has put me off going back.
In six Caminos no bugs! Hopefully the Norte this May will be the same. Touch wood!!!

I also choose to stay in San Javier and no bed bugs in four stays(all in May) Love the ambience. Stayed in Ave Fenix on first two Caminos with no problem but now all the talk of bed bugs has put me off going back.
In six Caminos no bugs! Hopefully the Norte this May will be the same. Touch wood!!!
The main reason why you have not been bitten is the month you choose to walk . I would think one would have to be a tad unlucky to come across bugs at this cooler time of year..................to say very the least.
Yes , yes yes ...I'm sure some forum members have been bitten in May , but this is not the norm. Forget the histeria and enjoy your Camino as you always have.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm sure you are right Renshaw.I love walking in Spring.The only year I walked in September was 2010 on the Portuguese in Rubais and someone had drawn a picture of a bedbug on the previous day's day book.
Needless to say we were all nervous that night but we survived with no unwanted visitors.:)

Hornillos Municipal looked so frightful, I ran for the hills. I don't know about bedbugs, because I didn't stay there, but the place was so awfully run down, it was depressing. I ended up in a lovely place about six km outside Hornillos. The owners picked a few of us up and the next morning dropped us back at the same spot.

I agree with Cheynee about Hornillos Municipal. I actually checked in, looked at the mattress and pillow, and told her I changed my mind. I just could not go through with it, as the stains were ridiculous. I had NO intention of asking for my 5 Euros back, but she insisted. I stayed at the private albergue, "Albergue El Afar" and was quite happy. Cheynee, what is the name of where you stayed??

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you are asked to sleep in the overflow at Larrasoana, I suggest you keep on walking.

If you are asked to sleep in the overflow at Larrasoana, I suggest you keep on walking.
I heartily agree with this sentiment - a real shock to the system at the beginning of your adventure.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hornillos Municipal looked so frightful
I found it very comfortable and warming in the winter. The lower level wood burning stove kept us warm, and the restaurant had great food.

For me, what this thread clearly shows is that each pilgrim's experience is unique.
Whether or not an albergue is good/bad depends on many factors including who is hospitalero that week, what the pilgrim's expectations are, what the pilgrim is willing to accept as "ok," the mood of the pilgrim that particular day, the weather, the season, the availability of alternate lodging, and many other factors.

Just another example of "your Camino is YOUR Camino - not the Camino of the pilgrim standing next to you"

I love it!

The next albergue after this is the municipal which looks a bit like a jail house ....continue to the third albergue hidden behind high walls and giant wooden doors. Here Eduardo and his Mum run one of the best Albergues in the Meseta .... 'En el Camino'
I HAVE to agree with this comment......probably THE best place I stayed during my entire Camino.....so warm and welcoming, plus the food was superb..

I heartily agree with this sentiment - a real shock to the system at the beginning of your adventure.
I stayed there as well. One upside of the Larrasoana overflow was that I really appreciated the albergues further along the way!

buen camino

Regarding San Javier in Astorga. Aside from the general sense of loathing that came for the manager, the beds are literally held together with zip ties, the shower was so hot that it scalds (no option to change temperature) and the room was unbearably hot. Avoid at all costs.

Via de la Plata: Casa Rural El Bruñedo in Montamarta when female and travelling alone. Owner couldn't keep his hands off. Besides, they charge 20 euro, while the competition charges 15.

Well, differences of opinion...different seasons-different reasons. It was great...I can't believe you think so...meal fantastic...fantastic-in a pig's eye. I was touched by the quaintness-I was touched by his highness. Often when asked for an opinion on about anything...that's exactly what you will get...anything; and usually not what you thought. I've been told that, if you are in a room with 100 people there is a near 100% probability that at least two people will have the same birthday. Therefore, it stands to reason that, on any given day, at a given time of year...the number of good experiences at a given albergue will equal the number of pilgrims predisposed to a certain quality of living regardless of the reality of the location.

The Ritz-Carolton in New York City...a Five-Star hotel with rooms priced from $700-4,500 for a suite has had a bed bug problem. When this was brought to the hotel's attention, "Bedbugs are inevitable,' said Scott Geraghty, the hotel’s general manager shrugging his shoulders and placing his hand on the complainant's shoulder in sympathy.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-swanky-Ritz-Carlton-hotel.html#ixzz3AUn5WUdO
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Fab albergue..5/5...stayed there last May, would love to stay again in September.

But..sticking to the topic..San Javier stands out.

That sounds like the one I was at. The wife went crazy at a man who dripped some water on the floor. The husband growled at another pilgrim who had put her feet - with only socks - on a chair and then the wife came in and lay on the couch and put her feet on it! Shoes and all. But they did serve a great dinner.

I stayed at a private albergue at Fromista and while the facilities were good, the attitude of the owners was very unwelcoming. We arrived in the torrential rain, soaked through and all our clothing very wet and damp. The washing facilities are outside, so you cannot wash your clothes if it is raining. The clothes drying rack was also outside, so again one cannot dry any clothes while it is raining and the owners made no effort to try to make alternative arrangements for us to dry our clothes - e.g bringing the clothes drying rack inside to the sitting room with a gas fire. Consequently, we all had our wet clothes draped all over our bunk beds in the dormitory, none of which got dry. Throughout the albergue there were rules telling us what we couldn't do and it was rather like being in school. The albergue was the owner's private home as well and while we were allowed in the sitting room on certain chairs, there was a big 'private' notice on the couch in the middle of the room, which was reserved for the owners only. One pilgrim checked herself out and into the hostal next door because she felt so unwelcome. The rest of us just endured the strange attitude towards us, but were quite relieved when we left the next morning to escape the atmosphere.
at sounds

When I stayed at the private albergue in El Acebo in 2011, there was no running water, and thus no flushing toilets etc until 8.00am. I later learnt that this is because the municipal authority turns off the power during the night and thus water cannot be pumped into water tanks. In 2010 it was OK, but on both occasions, I encountered bedbugs.

hahahahaha!!
i'm loving this scroll through this thread! the human experience is a varied one to say the least! i have extremely fond memories of the San Javier.... its patio out back full of geraniums, the vinegar and water fountain pool for your feet, the warmth of the hospitaleros. my first time there Javier's wife was due any day and he was laughing about going home and scaring her so she'd give birth he was so excited to meet his daughter!
people and albergues have bad days...
i've written my books... i've read other pilgrims' books and accounts and it's just fun sometimes to be awash in the diversity of very real experiences in the EXACT same place!
except for honest warnings about sexual impropriety (like the dirty old man with a milky eye working the alimentacion in Molinaseca who grabbed my precious groin) - i'm laying out the grains of salt! hahaha

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.