• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Places where children can play....

Amelia

We are walking to Santiago in July with our children (aged 4 and twins aged 7) and I have been trying to book hostals where there will be some trees to climb or an area of grass to play on when we arrive each afternoon. I have got as far as Portmarin (we are doing short stages) and have discovered that there is a place in Ribadiso with a swimmable stream...? Can anyone suggest any albergues which might hold some charm for children - eg. with a dog or other animals or where the owners have young children of their own or a rope swing...? Any suggestions for between Portmarin and SDC would be gratefully received.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Amelia,

Don't take my post too negatively, but I wanted to reply.

I walked the Camino last year and was surprised by the lack of children under ten on it. I met one woman walking with her daughter and I'd say that was it. When I got to the cathedral and saw children running around the place, it was like, "what are they?". Bit like the feeling of sitting into a car again after five weeks of walking. So the Camino isn't very child friendly as there are very few children walking it.

Most hostels your pretty well packed in with very little free space. You'll be lucky at times to find free space to hang your clothes. No luxury of family rooms or family showers or anything like that. So it's going to be a challenge. And I say fair play to you if you are up for it. It will be a great experience.

I can't remember any albergues with swimming pools, but crossed many rivers where pilgrims were jumping in for a midday cool down. Two things I noticed in Northern Spain that we don't have here in Ireland. The first is that walls on bridges seem to be very low and am sure they must be a danger to children. Secondly is the amount of open water and irrigation courses along the walk with no protection barriers.

Again apologies for my negative post. Let us know how you get on.

Thank you for responding - not negative but realistic advice from someone who has been there for which I am grateful. Mmmmm, it will be interesting to see who copes best with the 'roughing it' - the children or us... I have been trying to imagine how it will all work out and have just decided to go for it and just deal with each day as it comes. I had imagined meeting some friendly surrogate grandparents on the way who would be able to teach them "Hello" in all the different languages we come across - perhaps I have a romanticised view of the whole thing. Thanks for the warning about dangerous bridges and water ways - we'll keep a close eye on them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first time we walked our youngest was 6. We are currently walking again and she has just turned 8. I am also walking with a 10yo, 11yo and 13yo. They are all happy to play on the playgrounds we find - and you know what? There are heaps of them! Sometimes just a swing and slide, often with adult exercise equipment too and other exciting things. Even a flying fox (but not where you will be!) If you are happy to hang out there and do your blogging or reading or diary-writing or whatever, you will be happy.
We have been walking for over six weeks now and have come across only one other family (3 and 4yo kids), so they are rare! However, it makes them a bit of a novelty and I have lost count of the number of things my kids have been given (icecreams, sweets, cookies, fruit, toys, badges, necklaces....)
I have found many adults having a harder time than my kids - no one tells them to stay home. So jsut realise there will be some bad moments - but you have them at home, too, don't you! The good has far outweighed the bad for us and people have commented frequently on how the kids do their own washing and packing and are considerate of others.
I say GO FOR IT! and possibly even don't try to plan too much - you will come across wonderful opportunities without needing to orchestrate them.

Hi Rachael, I spend ages on the computer last night after discovering your blog laughing away and admiring your patience and good humour. What an amazing adventure for you and your children! It stuck me that you were learning so much as you walked as well as just the children, ever ready to reflect on your own niggles! Thanks for your response. I am delighted to hear that swings and slides abound - perhaps some local children to play with too. I have been trying to teach the children a bit of Spanish but so far just emergency phrases in case they get lost like "I want water"! I shall follow your blog with interest. Buen Camino!

Amelia,
You might be surprised at how much English even young kids (8 or 9 yrs) speak here. If your kids like kicking a ball around, they will make friends! I would advise you to bring a tennis ball and deck of cards. Pilgrims will willingly play with kids too - in fact, it was fellow pilgrims who taught us a new game way back in Belorado and we've been playing it ever since!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I didn't see this mentioned yet, but the Plaza Mayor (main square) in any Spanish town is THE place to be in the evenings, from 5p to 7p or so. Often the entire town comes out. The senior citizens will be spread along the perimeter on the benches, kids of all ages will be playing (balls, skates, toys), and the adults will be chatting with their friends. My favorite Plaza Mayors are Pamplona, Estella, and Astorga, plus Logrono and Leon in front of the Cathedrals. And any playground in town will also be hopping at this time.

There are a number of swimming pools along the way, so do bring along the swimsuits. A search for 'swimming' on this forum will yield some older threads on the topic.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I've no specific places to mention but based on experience travelling with young children, local people will greet & note you, but you probably know this already. Watch out for locals in their daily routine. Fishermen although sleepy endure innocent folk, firemen & their place of work are a charm for youngsters, policia might even smile. Yep, encourage yer kids to utter phrases in Spanish and grab those photos. Any playground area will be sufficient for the kids. Cherries are good to eat this time of year. If you're lucky you will encounter fiestas an hour or two before albergue curfew! Buen Camino.

I didn't see this mentioned yet, but the Plaza Mayor (main square) in any Spanish town is THE place to be in the evenings, from 5p to 7p or so. Often the entire town comes out. The senior citizens will be spread along the perimeter on the benches, kids of all ages will be playing (balls, skates, toys), and the adults will be chatting with their friends. My favorite Plaza Mayors are Pamplona, Estella, and Astorga, plus Logrono and Leon in front of the Cathedrals. And any playground in town will also be hopping at this time.

There are a number of swimming pools along the way, so do bring along the swimsuits. A search for 'swimming' on this forum will yield some older threads on the topic.

I agree - love this part of Spanish life. If you can eat your main meal at about 2pm (when the Spanish do) then your kids don't have to be stuck in the albergue during the evening. I always think it a shame than many people walking the Camino miss out on mixing with the locals.

Spanish is a really easy language for children to learn - you will be surprised at how much they will pick up from other children - and exposure at their age will mean even if they quickly forget, they will always be able to relearn it with a good accent.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Back