• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places with Internet on the Vdlp

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, everyone, I've put together this list of the towns I stayed in and an indication whether, and if so what kind, of internet was available. I may have missed some, and of course there are lots of towns I didn't stay in that I can't comment on, but this was my experience in May 2010.

Guillena -- there is a casa de cultura at the end of town with free internet, also a bar across the street from the casa de cultura with coin-fed machines.

Castilblanco -- free internet in the job training offices downstairs from the albergue.

Almaden -- free internet in some little building at the opposite end of town from the albergue, open 5-7 or 8. It has about 9 machines and they are very pilgrim friendly. I think it’s connected with the school.

Real de la Jara -- free internet both in the tourist office (this was one old machine that was hard to use) and also in a government office a little out of the center (beyond the Dia supermarket as I remember, lots of machines, few users)

Monesterio -- free internet in the library, but maybe only open in morning hours (i.e., till 1:30 or 2:00).

Fuente de Cantos -- free internet right in the albergue itself

Zafra -- the library on the square across from the parador has lots of free machines.

La Almazara -- one computer in albergue (thanks Anna-Marie).

Villafranca de los Barros -- Casa Perin has a machine available for all guests to use. Also in the public library, http://www.bibliotecaspublicas.es/villa ... macion.htm.

Torremegia -- Internet in a small community center/library near the church and near the ancient house with scallop shells (now an albergue)

Merida -- public library with lots of internet (worth a visit in itself because of the incredible construction -- the library is built one story off the ground with Roman ruins excavation going on down below)

Aljucen -- free internet in the Hogar del Pensionista, very close to the albergue

Alcuescar -- free in the regional office (maybe it's some sort of job training office) on the main street you take from the albergue to get into town)

Caceres -- public library has tons

Casar de Caceres -- both the public library and a school across the street from the public library have free machines (these are both back toward the part of town where the Vdlp enters town, about a 5 minute walk from the albergue) (and if you’re a coffee addict as well as a camino addict, the churros place on the street parallel to the albergue, on the right as you walk out of town, opens very early. I’ll leave it to you to decide whether it’s a good idea to start walking with a bunch of churros in your belly).

Canaveral -- don't remember any

Galisteo -- don't remember any (but I think it was a Sunday)

Carcaboso -- small library with a couple of machines, open morning and afternoon

Oliva de Plasencia – didn’t find any

Banos de Montemayor – internet on the top floor of the public library near the main square

Fuenterroble – none I can remember

San Pedro – none I can remember

Salamanca – I stayed in a hotel with free internet, but the public library (in the Casa de las Conchas) has lots of machines.

Valdunciel – even in this tiny little town, the library upstairs from the job center (I think), where you had to go to pick up the albergue key, had 3 or 4 machines

Villanueva del Campean – didn’t find any

Zamora – public library with many machines, and the library doesn’t close during the afternoon. You can sign up for an hour at a time.

Montamarta – didn’t find any

Granja de Moruela – didn’t find any

Tabara – public library had several

Santa Croya – Anita’s albergue has a machine for use by all

Rionegro – library, very close to albergue, has a couple of machines

Palacios de Sanabria – no internet that I found

Puebla de Sanabria – there is a bar at the bottom of the street up to the castle with free internet if you buy a drink or something; there is also a job training or some type of regional center on the left of that same street near the bottom with internet, and the library/tourist office up in the castle also has internet.

Requejo de Sanabria – don’t remember any

Lubian – don’t remember any

A Gudina – library in a building right across a square from the albergue has several machines, and even lets peregrinos print stuff out for free if necessary.

Laza – there are machines in the basement of a building right next to Proteccion Civil where you check into the albergue, but I never saw them actually work.

Vilar de Barrio – library is right behind the albergue, up some stairs, several machines

Xunqueira de Ambia – library right around the corner from the beautiful church has at least 4 machines

Ourense – internet in albergue, but hospitalero sort of doled it out to the people he liked. I’m certain there is a public library here, but I didn’t go to it because I was one of the hospitalero’s chosen few. (one of the advantages of being a grey-haired old lady).

Monasterio de Oseira – nothing

Laxe – didn’t see anything, but it was Sunday I think

Ponte Ulla – the woman in charge of the nice pension where I stayed let me use her machine.

Now that I’ve made this list, I’m sort of surprised to see how few places there were where I didn’t find internet. And maybe I missed some spots as well. But this should help give you an idea of what you’ll find on the Vdlp.

Buen camino everyone, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Laurie!
Thank you again, your information of all kinds is a great help to me before starting next spring. Your pictures were beautiful too.
Randi

Thank you so very much Laurie, exactly what I needed. You're a star.
Buen camino.
Carole

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you, Laurie, from me as well. I have followed all your postings with keen interest. I have gleaned so much information from your posts that I feel quite 'confident' setting out to do the VdlP on my own. My friends think I am crazy! However, I have no doubt that it will be a fantastic experience, no matter how it unfolds. I know I will be walking with the spirits of all who have gone before.
Other threads on this forum have helped me decide on a sleeping bag (Stowaway-the small one), to take poles, to pack very lightly, and even helped me book my stay in Sevilla for Semana Santa (not an easy task to find single rooms at that time of year: thanks, Restless Rose!)
So, Thanks to Laurie and all the others who contribute so much to this forum.

Sue

Oh, Yes. I forgot to mention that I leave Sevilla on April 25/26, so I know at least 2 others who will be on the Way with me. See you there!

Good walking and fair weather,

Sue

Hi SueH,
Getting a bed during Semana Santa can be a challenge. Not only do Spanish people go to the city for a weekend holiday, many take the opportunity to do 4 or 5 days on the Camino. On Easter Saturday 2006, I couldn't find a room in Merida because my guidebook said there wasn't a refugio there. My solution, at 7:00 pm in the evening was to take a taxi 17 km up the camino to the little village of Alucen. I got a bed in the refugio there. Only later did I learn that Merida did indeed have a refugio, and that there was empty space that evening.

I did the VdlP again this past spring. After the Easter weekend accomodation will normalize and you won't have any difficulty.

Enjoy your dreaming as you lead up to your journey.

David, Victoria, Canada.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
David et al,
I plan to arrive in Merida on the Tuesday before Easter 2011 (April 19). How are buses around the holidays eg. Good Friday, Saturday, Sunday? I was thinking I would get the bus at least from Caceres to Casar de Caceres, as I walked that in 2010, and maybe from Alcuescar or Valdesalor to Caceres, but it may be Good Friday.
Also to add to Laurie's list, in Villafranca de los Barros there is internet in the library. See
http://www.bibliotecaspublicas.es/villafrancabarros/informacion.htm
It is a very interesting building, a converted factory now a cultural centre with lovely garden, library upstairs and a bar on the ground floor where people wait to pick up their kids from band practice. We watched Rafa Nadal beat someone in the French Open from here while taking turns to use the internet. Very civilised.
Some information about the history of the building is here:
http://www.villafrancadelosbarros.es/areas_de_actuacion/casa_de_cultura.htm
Marianne

Hi, Marianne,

Just a note to say I added the Villafranca de los Barros library to the list (I'm keeping the list simple without adding thanks or comments so the list itself can be easily cut and pasted in its entirety). I've never walked during Semana Santa, but imagine it must be quite spectacular.

I wish I had been to the library in Villafranca, it looks very nice -- and here's another plug for the one in Merida, it is an amazing place, with the ground floor excavation of, what else, Roman ruins found at the site. Laurie

Just thought I'd bump this up to the top, in case others could add more locations where internet is found on the Vdlp. I also hope this will help people like Anna-marie currently on the Vdlp who are having trouble finding internet. It's really quite widely available. (This is, of course, totally self-interested, since I love hearing from people along the way!)

Buen camino a todos, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks, Laurie.

I know there are places, I just don't always get there at the right time (or am too exhausted to find them).

I'm currently using Internet at the La Almazara, the albergue just before Villafranca de los Barros, which is free (there's only one computer, but no one else seems to want it).

Anna-Marie

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back