• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Placing the Via Francigena GPS route onto Offline Maps with Maps.me (iPhone & Android).

kiwiDavid

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012 - SJPP-Finisterre
Have wondered how to place GPS tracks onto offline maps and came across a great post - 'Melanie and Michael Go Walking' - their Blog mentions iPhone but it's good for Android too.Link below: https://memismsblogs.com/maps-me/
Great features mentioned by M & M are you don't need mobile data or connection and it will show you your position in relation to the VF by satellite. Downloading the Maps.me app and then emailing the VF KMZ files to my phone and opening them with Maps.me was pretty straight forward.Then just downloaded the offline maps around the route as it appeared. I placed both VF and Lightfoot routes alongside each other. NB:You can find VF & Lightfoot KMZ files on this Forum which worked for me but I had to open the files leg by leg (except for the Lightfoot ones - 2 files). PS: Hoping people won't think I'm way overthinking this but I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment and I love planning.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Check out Windy Maps. Most major hiking trails are already on it.
20210813_223431.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Check out Windy Maps. Most major hiking trails are already on it.
View attachment 106742
Thanks trecile - haven't heard of this one - will have to look it up.I liked the Wikiloc site mentioned by Melanie & Michael because of the great elevation profiles and you can use it on your PC.Would love to find one of these apps I can install on PC - Maps.me is only on mobile.

Google Maps can work in exactly the same way and there are many other mapping tools that can do what you describe.

As a fallback position perhaps consider the GPS app supplied through the official Via Francigena website.
I found the app, the download positioned at the bottom of the page, to be quite sufficient when I walked the Swiss section of the VF. (Use Google Chrome for the automatic translation)
The complete route from Canterbury to Rome is covered.

Regards
Gerard

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We downloaded the gpx files from vie.francigene.org onto our gps unit but only used it as a check, often followed our own route in france to avoid wandering around on the GR145. Also used lightfoot guides in france and switzerland but the italian one in italy, terremezzo, english lang. version. Took the IGN maps for france too, cut out the bits we needed. This was useful for working out more direct ways to get somewhere.

Just a little add on: If you download the files from this link - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...z-files-for-google-earth-besancon-rome.63706/ - to your phone you can open them directly with Maps.me by clicking on them - it should then give you a choice what to open them with or say you don't have anything which will open them (if no Maps.me app click search - Maps.me should be one of the options) - click Maps.me and the route should open on the app.NB: You need to have Maps.me installed on the phone I think. Do this with each leg you want - then download maps surrounding the route for offline use.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back