• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

plan a cycle trip

Mick Brett

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to cycle in the future
My Mother has requested I travel the El camino with My Fathers ashes . I would like to cycle from Santander along the Costal route ? or maybe the Coastal route from Bilbao. I am 56 years old and of good health. Please could anyone advise on the following. Although I am well travelled I will take advice from those who have completed a similar venture

I would fly from Manchester.

Where could I hire a bike for the duration ? how much and how long should I allow for the trip?

Should I bring my own bike - road bike?.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi and welcome to the forum @Mick Brett I am sure that other bicigrinos will chime in, but I am curious to know why you have decided on cycling instead of walking. Also, 'my mother has requested' kind of raises concerns in me, no matter how you do your pilgrimage, you yourself need to be behind that idea also ...

Buen Camino, SY

Hello Mike...... In my opinion a road bike would be not be the right way to go . I have not ridden the coastal route but, i have ridden the French route and the via del Plata and on both i stuck faithfully to the Camino so not a great deal of riding on roads . There are cyclists that sort of follow the Camino on nearby roads but for me the camino is the camino and this is the way i want to go .

There were stretches on the Via del Plata ,and it may well be the same on the camino you are planning , that were incredibly hard on a loaded Mountain bike ( rocks ...stony tracks....very muddy tracks.....non of which would suit a road bike .

My advice ...leave your road bike in the shed at home and hire a Mountain bike .
This is where i hired my bike from ....no complaints ....https://www.cyclingthecamino.com/ and they will ship it out to your starting point . Another company is based at the Triana Hostel in Seville and they will also ship a bike out to your starting point and pick it up in Santiago .

One last point .......make sure you bring a bike bell with you in your luggage , just in case there is not one on the hire bike . It is just a courtesy to warn walkers when you are approaching .

Regards....John

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?
I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back