• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plan B - in case of illness?

Just_Me

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues (April 2019)
Hi, I am hoping for some suggestions of a Plan B for my upcoming Camino in April
Thing is - I had an encounter with a Mozzie a couple of years ago and it left me with a calling card, a tropical virus that rears it's ugly head every now and then. When that happens I am unable to walk at all (no weighbearing), and get really sick in general for two weeks min. Since I have no idea when it strikes again, or even what might trigger it (would love to know!) it could happen when I walk the Camino.
I arranged to meet a dear friend and family who live in Europe at the end of the walk so don't just want to go home (besides, Australia is a long way to go and I might not be well enough to do the trip). The virus has struck me down now for the fourth time in two years :-( so there is a good chance that it could happen, especially with the jet lag, long trip, travel stress, new food etc.
I won't cancel - that much is clear.
Maybe I am overthinking it right now and just need some reassurance? Positive vibes are appreciated :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Positive vibes being send ;-) First the obvious - make sure your travel insurance covers this pre-existing condition! Second, get a letter from your doctor (and have it translated into Spanish) outlining the nature of your illness, that could save a lot of time in case the virus comes back. Third, as you say stress is a factor, try to plan in enough rest days, both during the travel to the Camino and during the Camino.

Buen Camino, SY

suggestions of a Plan B
When you cannot walk, take a bus or taxi to your next stopping point/meeting point. Bus routes parallel the camino in most places, so often you can move just one stage ahead although there are stretches where you will cover two or three stages. Plan to meet with your friends at the points to which you take transportation. A bus will cost about 2-3E per stage, a taxi is about 1E per kilometer. I think you will have fun. Buen camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, I am hoping for some suggestions of a Plan B for my upcoming Camino in April
Thing is - I had an encounter with a Mozzie a couple of years ago and it left me with a calling card, a tropical virus that rears it's ugly head every now and then. When that happens I am unable to walk at all (no weighbearing), and get really sick in general for two weeks min. Since I have no idea when it strikes again, or even what might trigger it (would love to know!) it could happen when I walk the Camino.
I arranged to meet a dear friend and family who live in Europe at the end of the walk so don't just want to go home (besides, Australia is a long way to go and I might not be well enough to do the trip). The virus has struck me down now for the fourth time in two years :-( so there is a good chance that it could happen, especially with the jet lag, long trip, travel stress, new food etc.
Maybe I am overthinking it right now and just need some reassurance? Positive vibes are appreciated :)

Hola @ G'day mate. As usual SY & Falcon have provided some great advice. As one who has made the trip from Oz to Madrid & Paris a few times jet lag can be an issue. Given your problem I would try to schedule at least one full day before commencing the Camino to allow yourself the time to get onto European local time. You do not mention which city you are flying into but either Paris or Madrid are great cities with things to do and places to see whilst you overcome the jet lag. When starting the camino allow your self the time to get into what I call "camino mood" so basically it involves shorter days on the first 60/80 km - 15km is fine. Don't worry if others fly past doing 25km per day, you are on your camino. Rest days are a given - Pamplona; Burgos and Leon are (imho) all worth a day of rest and exploring. Some say its not a rest day you are walking all over - yes you may be walking - but you are not carrying that 10kg pack and you will be taking extra stops for coffee, beer, wine, food. Feel free to come back if you have other questions. This is the best source of camino knowledge on the planet (again imho). Buen Camino!

If you schedule enough time, you can pause your camino for a few weeks if the illness strikes and resume afterward. Do whatever you want (and you can) wherever you want while you are laid low with the illness. Just be sure to get your credencial stamped wherever you are when you pause and get it stamped a second time in the same place when you resume.

What @SYates said, plus do you have medication for the illness, if so take it with you. Obvious I know and if it strikes take a hotel or pension until it goes, if you don't need a hospital.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Look very carefullly into travel insurance . Read the small print and ask questions . When the event occurs , the
insurance company can be ruthless and very un caring . I had expensive insurance “ Alliance” Australian and if I hadn’t have had $15 thousand up front for an very unexpected emergency operation in Portugal .. who
Knows what would have happened . This matter is ongoing still a month later . On the other hand Portugal support service were brilliant in every way

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola @ G'day mate. As usual SY & Falcon have provided some great advice. As one who has made the trip from Oz to Madrid & Paris a few times jet lag can be an issue. Given your problem I would try to schedule at least one full day before commencing the Camino to allow yourself the time to get onto European local time. You do not mention which city you are flying into but either Paris or Madrid are great cities with things to do and places to see whilst you overcome the jet lag. When starting the camino allow your self the time to get into what I call "camino mood" so basically it involves shorter days on the first 60/80 km - 15km is fine. Don't worry if others fly past doing 25km per day, you are on your camino. Rest days are a given - Pamplona; Burgos and Leon are (imho) all worth a day of rest and exploring. Some say its not a rest day you are walking all over - yes you may be walking - but you are not carrying that 10kg pack and you will be taking extra stops for coffee, beer, wine, food. Feel free to come back if you have other questions. This is the best source of camino knowledge on the planet (again imho). Buen Camino!

And think of sending your back pack on to the next village . Just ring the hostel you hve chosen ( 16- 20 kms on) and book your bunk /bed. All hostels have access to Jacko trans and it only costs 5 Euro .

thank you, everyone, many valuable suggestions, very much appreciated!
It is the unpredictability of when it might strike that has me unsettled but I am going to chance it.
If I get struck down on the Camino I know I can hang out here for good company :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

yes, I think I will definitely have a rest day on arrival, good advice!

A suggestion - I'm not sure how much nursing care you would need, but I found AirBnB a useful app when I was struck down with a foot problem and could not walk, and needed somewhere to stay for a week. I was able to catch a bus to a mid-sized town, found a self-catering apartment very close to shops to which I could hobble for supplies and sitting-in-the-cafe-and-plaza days, and much less expensive than a hotel.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The rural hotels/ hostels are really good and usually on the Camino . Always stay where other people are nearby so you can get heko
If needed. Don’t let it stop you . Just do it !

If you have the time take a couple of days off after arriving in Europe flight before you commence walking. I flew into Paris and spent three days there and did a lot of walking, I then took the train to Bayonne and spent another two nights. I then took the train to SJPDP and commenced walking. The first 8 kms to Orisson was really tough and I had too much luggage. The walk into Zuburi can also be tough for some people because of the rocky path. So as others suggested perhaps for the first few days get your bag transported. I found the first two weeks the hardest and then I realised I was going to finish.

I think you need to walk with a carer just in case.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.