• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plan for my first few days...

tohams

Wanted opinion from those who've walked before me on whether or not this timeline looks good for my arrival and getting started on my Camino.

I arrive at 6:55 am at Charles du Gaulle International Airport in Paris on September 26 after an overnight flight from Washington, D.C.

My plan for that day is to find a box and a post office to send my "backpack bag" back home. (It's a bag the backpack goes in to protect the straps and trekking poles from the airline baggage handling machinery and people.)

After spending the day in Paris kicking around, I'll take the overnight train (4053) to Bayonne, arriving on September 27. From there, I'll get on Train #67303 to St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port which gets me in at 9:37 AM.

I have my Credencial del Peregrino from American Pilgrims on the Camino already, but I'll probably stop by the pilgrims office in SJPdP to check in and get a stamp. Then I'll take my time walking to Refuge Orisson (I'll get a reservation).

The next day (September 28), I'll walk to Roncevalles and continue with the rest of my Camino.

Thoughts? Does this sound like it'll work?

Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It sounds like you have an excellent plan for the first days of your voyage to Europe. I travelled the same way than you (but from Stockholm ) to Paris the Charles de Gaulle Airport. Took the airport couch to the right railway station through the city of Paris. It took about one hour. The ticket can be bought at the airport information desk, they speek English and the cost was about 16 euro for the bus ticket. Or you can take the Metro, much cheaper. Then I took a train in the afternoon to Bayonne with a change to a local train taking me to SJPP. Arrived about 10.30 pm. No hostels open so late so I had a hotel reservation (hotel Ramuntcho). Walked the next day to Orisson, took about 4 hours with some breaks for snacks and admiring the wonderful wiew of the mountains.
So your plan is excellent, book Orisson in advance though.http://www.refuge-orisson.com/

SJPP is a nice little village and worth spending some hours there before you start walking to Orisson.

buen camino
annie

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Sounds good to me but I know nothing about flying so jet lag is just aeroplane insulation to me .. is that two days enough to recover? I expect it is ..

but, why not post your bag ermm bag down to Ivar in Santiago then you can collect it and have it for the flight home ...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi I would suggest that you forward your backpack bag to Santiago as the rules,and their application, re walking poles as hand luggage are erratic to say the least. If they have to go in the hold you will need your Backpack Bag to keep them safe and sound. Unless you are going on all the way to FIsterra and going to entirely divest yourself of your pilgrims garb you will probably want to take your 'companions of the road' i.e. your pack and poles home with you?
It is a little ironic, considering that our initial relationship a love hate one (I loved to hate them) how my pack and poles have assumed an almost totemic status for me since returning. I'm just not comfortable with a daypack and walking without sticks. Perhaps this is a sort of Camino Blue Blanket syndrome? Anyway I would forward your bag to Santiago so you have the option. Bonne route

I would leave your backpack bag at home and wrap your bag and poles all together in the plastic wrap they have for security at the airport. That way you don't have to negotiate the postal system and you can just get on with your camino. Buen camino.

tohams said:
I have my Credencial del Peregrino from American Pilgrims on the Camino already, but I'll probably stop by the pilgrims office in SJPdP to check in and get a stamp.
Do go to the Pilgrim's Office.... they have a couple of very useful info sheets...plus you walk up an interesting hill-street to get there, and can walk through the historic gate at the top...
Margaret

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back