• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plan to return , but to which Camino

Penny Kingma

Never Stop Trying !
Time of past OR future Camino
Hoping to walk again in 2023.
Trying to decide between walking the full Frances again or the Portugues from Lisbon.
Walked in 2016 with what was wrongly diagnosed as Multiple sclerosis.
Now correctly diagnosed with 4 Lyme diseases.
Unfortunately after a successful walk I had a waterskiing accident 8 days after my return to Canada.
The result was both hips and both knees replaced in 4 surgeries in a 13 month period.
They've all celebrated there 4th Birthday.
It's time to go....now deciding on the one I know or the adventure of new.

Hoping for a start of May 12th ...Mother's Day in Canada.
40 years before I was expecting my first child in July 1983.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Between Lisbon and Porto the pilgrim infrastructure is no where near as robust as it is on the Camino Francés, therefore there are areas where you may have no choice but to walk longer stages than you might prefer.

Trying to decide between walking the full Frances again or the Portugues from Lisbon.
Unfortunately after a successful walk I had a waterskiing accident 8 days after my return to Canada.
The result was both hips and both knees replaced in 4 surgeries in a 13 month period.

Glad you will be returning! We hope to go a little later in May than you, but will probably volunteer either the first or second half of June somewhere if we can get assigned an albergue. I will try to pm you where will be in case we can meet up again!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I echo the welcome back. You have certainly been through the mill. Yes, the road less travelled can be for your subsequent camino. đź‘Ł

You will find there is only one Camino and you have never left it.

Keep on truckin

:)

Samarkand.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's always nice to walk the Frances again and again - you see more the second time as you "know the ropes" and can relax more.

If you'd like to do a shorter, but fully supported route, I'd highly recommend either the Madrid or the Aragones. Both can be done quickly - easy in and out transport - and are beautiful walks.
Good luck and Buen Camino, whatever you decide.

Well if you were going about 4-6 weeks earlier, I would plan to meet you on the camino. I did the Frances in Sept/Oct 2019. On March 26, I will fly into Lisbon and tour a day or two, and then train to Coimbra and tour a day or two. Then start walking from Porto. I also have had 2 knee replacements, but 4 years apart. I had my 2nd one done last year. SOunds like you have undergone a lot of surgeries in a short period of time, and I admire you for your perseverance. Good luck in whatever route you choose and buen camino.

I can recommend the walk from Le Puy to Saint Jean P de Port, Penny. It's a beautiful route, well marked and well catered for with accommodation, food and lots of pilgrims. I did it just a couple of months ago. However, there are some steep uphills and a few tough down hills, so it depends on how confident you feel and able you are. I think it's just a little bit more challenging than the Frances, for terrain, but not that much. The stages are reasonable and there are shorter stages too if you want to do moderate distances. It's a lovely walk. I would do it again, any time. I wouldn't quibble though ...... the Frances is always a favourite.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can recommend the walk from Le Puy to Saint Jean P de Port, Penny. It's a beautiful route, well marked and well catered for with accommodation, food and lots of pilgrims. I did it just a couple of months ago. However, there are some steep uphills and a few tough down hills, so it depends on how confident you feel and able you are. I think it's just a little bit more challenging than the Frances, for terrain, but not that much. The stages are reasonable and there are shorter stages too if you want to do moderate distances. It's a lovely walk. I would do it again, any time. I wouldn't quibble though ...... the Frances is always a favourite.
Is Le Puy to SJPP about 5oo miles also? That is my next Camino aFTEr Portugues. I just don't have the time to do that one right now.

Wow, you have been in the wars you poor thing! I hope that those replacements all combine to give you a wonderful 4th birthday present.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Le Puy route is indeed very beautiful (the more so if you walk the alternative route through the Celevalley) A few things to consider:
- The difficulty certainly in the first, most beautiful 2 weeks. A few steep hills
- At least 80 % of the walkers are french which means that the common language at dinner tables will be french.
- It has less the atmosphere of a Camino. For many walkers it's just a walk on on of the many GR routes. You will make more reservations because most of the times you don't stay in alberguestyle accomodation. Instead you sleep in "pensionstyle" with shared dinners. You are more threated as a guest and the food generally is very good.

The Le Puy route is indeed very beautiful (the more so if you walk the alternative route through the Celevalley) A few things to consider:
- The difficulty certainly in the first, most beautiful 2 weeks. A few steep hills
- At least 80 % of the walkers are french which means that the common language at dinner tables will be french.
- It has less the atmosphere of a Camino. For many walkers it's just a walk on on of the many GR routes. You will make more reservations because most of the times you don't stay in alberguestyle accomodation. Instead you sleep in "pensionstyle" with shared dinners. You are more threated as a guest and the food generally is very good.
Thank you for this information. This will definitely be my next camino, after my March 2023 camino portugues. All of your info above tells me I will be going sooner rather than later.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...
I am hiking the Norte and Primitive routes starting May 16, 2024. This will be my first Camino. I have access to the Buen Camino app, Gronze, and a guidebook which are all excellent at providing...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back