• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planes and Trains in Lyon

thomryng

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (x3), Primitivo, Podiensis
While I had planned on walking from Le Puy to Santiago in the Spring of 2024, circumstances intervened and I now find myself with plane tickets from Seattle to Lyon on August 15-16 of this year.

Fun!

I'm hoping somebody can help clarify for me how to get from the Aéroport de Saint-Exupéry to the train station that will take me to Le Puy. There seems to be a station at the airport, but also it doesn't seem to be the station that I need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
thomryng,

You might be tired after a long flight and consider staying in Lyon for a bit. See this earlier thread about cheap lodging near the Le Puy train.

Lyon, France, has an historic silk weaving tradition. I have always enjoyed wandering through the distinctive old neighborhoods associated with this by following the system of alleyways called traboules. See this Wikipedia site and its links for more traboule info and maps in English. For many more visiting possibilities in Lyon here is the English edition of the official tourist board site .

Bon voyage and Buen camino,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
thomryng,

You might be tired after a long flight and consider staying in Lyon for a bit. See this earlier thread about cheap lodging near the Le Puy train.

Lyon, France, has an historic silk weaving tradition. I have always enjoyed wandering through the distinctive old neighborhoods associated with this by following the system of alleyways called traboules. See this Wikipedia site and its links for more traboule info and maps in English. For many more visiting possibilities in Lyon here is the English edition of the official tourist board site .

Bon voyage and Buen camino,
I've baked some extra days into my schedule with the idea that if all goes well, I can spend some days in Lyon prior to my flight home, and if things don't go well and I need to take extra days for rest or injury, then I will visit the city on a future trip.

The tram is pretty easy to find in the Lyon airport. Just follow the signs. It's called "Rohnexpress."

From Lyon you can take a train to Le Puy. My notes says you have to transfer in Etienne. (It's a small station so easy to find the connection.)

I spent one night in Lyon and one night in Le Puy. Enjoyed both. If I had to choose though, I'd say definitely spend a night in Le Puy, and leave yourself time to explore the town. The views from Saint-Michel and from Notre Dame statue are fantastic.

While I had planned on walking from Le Puy to Santiago in the Spring of 2024, circumstances intervened and I now find myself with plane tickets from Seattle to Lyon on August 15-16 of this year.

Fun!

I'm hoping somebody can help clarify for me how to get from the Aéroport de Saint-Exupéry to the train station that will take me to Le Puy. There seems to be a station at the airport, but also it doesn't seem to be the station that I need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
We are going in August as well. Tram to downtown. Will spend two nights in Lyon. Incredible food, glorious city. From there to Le Puy there are three options: train, bus or rideshare, which actually looks the most appealing. Funny name: Blablacar.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We are going in August as well. Tram to downtown. Will spend two nights in Lyon. Incredible food, glorious city. From there to Le Puy there are three options: train, bus or rideshare, which actually looks the most appealing. Funny name: Blablacar.
When in August? Perhaps we'll meet! My plan - such as it is - has me arriving in Le Puy on August 16 and starting the walk on the 18th.

And "Blablacar" is hilarious!

The tram is pretty easy to find in the Lyon airport. Just follow the signs. It's called "Rohnexpress."

From Lyon you can take a train to Le Puy. My notes says you have to transfer in Etienne. (It's a small station so easy to find the connection.)

I spent one night in Lyon and one night in Le Puy. Enjoyed both. If I had to choose though, I'd say definitely spend a night in Le Puy, and leave yourself time to explore the town. The views from Saint-Michel and from Notre Dame statue are fantastic.
Thank you! I'll look it up and figure it out from there. I already have my train ticket from Lyon to Le Puy. I've given myself plenty of time to get through customs and make the connection.

I'm spending one night in Le Puy, both the explore and to shake off the jet-lag.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.