• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

planes and trains

Time of past OR future Camino
July-August 2023 Camino Frances
Looking for advice! We are flying into CDG this summer and landing at terminal 2E around 6am. Is there any hope of making it to the TGV train leaving at 8am for Bayonne? We have reservations made in St Jean Pied de Port for that night. Was really hoping to avoid having to get to Montparnasse station to catch the train there but I realize we might not have enough time to get through passport, customs etc. We will not have any baggage to pick up and I believe the TGV station at CDG is also in terminal 2E.

Also since the train schedules are not out for that time yet, I am basing this on current schedules. Perhaps there will be more trains available in the summer months?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How about flying to Biarritz instead? Make sure that you have several hours between flights - when booking this far out there's a high likelihood that one or both flights will change times.

From Biarritz you can use Express Bourricot's shuttle.

Hey Paula. I’ve done a similar thing that you hope to do. First, arriving at 6 am is the best time. The couple of times I’ve been in that early to CDG, I’ve had no difficulty getting through immigration quickly. However, with that said, it doesn’t mean it will always be that way. The biggest problem will be whether or not the plane is on time is on time. If on time, two hours should be enough time at that time of day to catch the TGV to Bayonne.

Making the connections can be most stressful. What I prefer to do, besides the early morning arrival into CDG, is to go to the Montparnasse station to catch a later train there. It’s really not much of a hassle considering the excellent bus and metro systems in Paris. That early in the morning, you can get downtown pretty quickly. I’d suggest catching the 10:08 train to Bayonne where you can then connect to the regional rail into SJPP and still be in there good time in the afternoon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looking for advice! We are flying into CDG this summer and landing at terminal 2E around 6am. Is there any hope of making it to the TGV train leaving at 8am for Bayonne? We have reservations made in St Jean Pied de Port for that night. Was really hoping to avoid having to get to Montparnasse station to catch the train there but I realize we might not have enough time to get through passport, customs etc. We will not have any baggage to pick up and I believe the TGV station at CDG is also in terminal 2E.

Also since the train schedules are not out for that time yet, I am basing this on current schedules. Perhaps there will be more trains available in the summer months?
If you are not under a completely rigid schedule with no room to change things, why don't you just change your reservation for the next night in St. Jean and take your time and not have to stress. Sleep in Bayonne. It is a lovely place and get up and go to St. Jean the next day. You can easily spend a leisurely day there and be even better rested for the trek over the mountain.

The Camino starts when you leave your house – some even say it begins when you start thinking about it. My point is: What's the rush? Get into the spirit and mindset of the Camino. A stop in Paris and/or – what I warmly recommend – one in beautiful Bayonne? A leisurely dinner al fresco along the Niva river?
(Getting over the jetlag at the same time.)
Folks, give all those wonderful, never to return experiences a chance by letting them happen.

Folks, give all those wonderful, never to return experiences a chance by letting them happen.

Some folks have obligations, some are on a schedule, some are on a budget, some have other considerations, and still they can have wonderful experiences....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Some folks have obligations, some are on a schedule, some are on a budget, some have other considerations, and still they can have wonderful experiences....
The motto of this forum is "Where past pilgrims share, and future pilgrims learn".

I would personally be stressed with the time frame you are are suggesting. If everything is on time, you would likely make it. If not, you will be stressed. For what? Take the later tain. Give yourself extra time and start out more relaxed!

Also consider that the cheaper train tickets usually are non refundable. So if you had one and missed the train ,you would have to buy another one at a much more expensive rate that day.

Thank you for all the advice and responses. We will look into a train ticket (when available!) that is refundable and/or transferrable and have Montparnasse trains as our backup plan. Good to know that it wouldn't be that difficult to get there from CDG.

We absolutely love the planning stage when thinking about any travel plans! I certainly know that things can go awry and plans might have to be changed. We are not very spontaneous people and maybe this camino will be the thing that helps us with that! For sure, it will be a unique experience and we are so excited at the prospect of spending so much time in another culture and place of beauty!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have very fond memories of landing on a rainy day in Paris, catching the metro to the Eiffel Tower / Champs de Mars and walking from there to the Gare Montparnasse to catch the train to Bayonne and from there to St. Jean Pied de Port. Lots of moving pieces, but it all worked out fine, and we had a fun time doing it.

That said, I think your chances are good, but not certain to make it through immigration and catch the TGV at CDG at that time of day. Last Spring in CDG I think we were through immigration in a matter of minutes. That is not always the case of course.

The Camino starts when you leave your house – some even say it begins when you start thinking about it. My point is: What's the rush? Get into the spirit and mindset of the Camino. A stop in Paris and/or – what I warmly recommend – one in beautiful Bayonne? A leisurely dinner al fresco along the Niva river?
(Getting over the jetlag at the same time.)
Oh my goodness, that is exactly how I feel...like my Camino has already begun. I feel like I am there in some way already, and I haven't even purchased my tickets yet!

Be prepared with a plan B. I realize you aren’t flying till summer, but transportation strikes in France are as common as croissants. Currently there is a great debate over changing the retirement age in France, and it has led to protests and strikes by a wide range of workers unions, students, regular folks and the bored and restless. Who knows how long it will continue, but the Yellow Vest protests, tho’ mostly weekend affairs, went on for quite a spell. It just pays to have a backup. Best to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. Suerte y buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
France, not the place to be doing any travel early in February 2023.

Be prepared with a plan B. I realize you aren’t flying till summer, but transportation strikes in France are as common as croissants. Currently there is a great debate over changing the retirement age in France, and it has led to protests and strikes by a wide range of workers unions, students, regular folks and the bored and restless. Who knows how long it will continue, but the Yellow Vest protests, tho’ mostly weekend affairs, went on for quite a spell. It just pays to have a backup. Best to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. Suerte y buen camino!
Seems to be a huge amount of strikes across European countries at the moment, some of which impact travel. France, Spain, UK and many others. Seems to be very similar issues across European countries, in fact, many countries globally. Many sectors, some of which impact travel, either travel companies themselves, or services, such as border force. It gonna be a lively year I think! Its quite hard to plan around and of course many planned strikes don’t happen. Tends to be a ‘workround’ in most situations as long as you can be fleet of foot and build some flexibility in, both time and money!!

The big upside is of course that Europe is so well connected transport wise, getting north to south or even east to west can often be just a cheap and short flight away so don’t despair!!

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back