• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planes, trains and automobiles...

amocatnerak

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances April 2018, Frances October 2019
...or "Is this trip going to happen?"

I thought (silly me!) that my plans were all good since I was effectively going to be arriving in France before the train strikes.

However, France seems to have some other ideas for me. Now Air France is striking tomorrow (3/30) and my flight is canceled!:mad:

That means I won't make my train trip from Paris to SJPdP and have to lose my stop-over in Bayonne.

The nice lady at Air France customer care has booked me on the next overnight flight (3/31) and I have secured passage (another AF flight!) from Paris to Biarritz (who needs a train ride anyway??) but now I have to find transport from Biarritz to SJPdP. Hopefully I can make it to Gite Makila on Sunday night or I will lose that reservation too. :confused: Yikes.

Thankfully I purchased travel insurance, so I can get these things reimbursed but .....geez, what a hassle.

Anyone else going to be affected by the Air France strike?

Nerak

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What time are you coming to Biarritz, Karen?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A selection of Camino Jewellery
We fly in to CDG on May 31. The trains are "supposed" to be running both to Le Puy and going back to the airport when we end in Moissac as our travel dates are not officially "blackout" dates for the train strike, but I am still wondering if everything will go as planned...keeping my fingers crossed, so to speak.

I contacted Express Bourricot, all full.

I contacted Biarritz Airport Transfers, all full.

:(

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@amocatnerak , if you are truly stuck and there's no way to get up to SJPP, all is not lost. You can walk directly to Pamplona from Bayonne on the Baztanes. It's a little longer than from SJPP, 5 days rather than 3 or 4. But it's stellar walking. You get the first stamp at the cathedral n Bayonne. And if you need a place to stay in Bayonne, the Hotel de la Gare is nice and good value - and right across the street from the station.

Haha! Not flying today... Air France strike canceled my flight. I am flying tomorrow, overnight, and get to CDG on 4/1 and my flight to BIQ is 4/1 and lands at 1745. I have a reservation in SJPdP 4/1 and my plan was to start walking 4/2. I really wish I could get the extra day back... but oh well.

Looks like taxi share or private car hire will be my best bet. Luckily for me this trip was booked on points so I do have some extra funds I can use in case of emergencies!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Haha! Not flying today... Air France strike canceled my flight. I am flying tomorrow, overnight, and get to CDG on 4/1 and my flight to BIQ is 4/1 and lands at 1745. I have a reservation in SJPdP 4/1 and my plan was to start walking 4/2. I really wish I could get the extra day back... but oh well.

Looks like taxi share or private car hire will be my best bet. Luckily for me this trip was booked on points so I do have some extra funds I can use in case of emergencies!!
You can post taxi share in this thread:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-share-thread-biarritz-bayonne-to-sjpp.52040/

Buen Camino!

There is a replacement bus service to SPPdP, as the railway line is temporarily (?) closed due to subsidence. You will be in plenty of time for the last bus - timetable here.

After all of these flight changes/reservation cancellations/re-bookings from yesterday, now Air France is telling me that they canceled my reservation CDG-BIQ and put me on a flight from Orly to BIQ which gets in even later, not to mention forcing me to change airports! :mad: Plus, now I have to cancel or amend my car hire or get a hotel in Biarritz for the night, which means cancelling my reservation in SJPdP.

I get the feeling that maybe this (Camino) was not meant to happen.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
After all of these flight changes/reservation cancellations/re-bookings from yesterday, now Air France is telling me that they canceled my reservation CDG-BIQ and put me on a flight from Orly to BIQ which gets in even later, not to mention forcing me to change airports! :mad: Plus, now I have to cancel or amend my car hire or get a hotel in Biarritz for the night, which means cancelling my reservation in SJPdP.

Are you certain that you have to cancel your reservation in SJPdP? This may not be the case for you, but a lot of times an email notification that you are arriving later than planned, even late at night, will be understood by the proprietor or manager and allow you to keep your booking. I've had to do this and it worked out fine in my instance.

Nooooo @amocatnerak don't let this beat you! The last bus from Bayonne to St Jean (replacing the train) departs at 9.10pm on Sunday, so you may be able to catch that, or adjust your car hire time. Accommodation providers in St Jean are used to pilgrims arriving on the last train, so I'm sure if you contact them with a later arrival time that will be fine. Good luck - your Camino has of course already begun! ;)

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.