• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planned Future route. Your Thoughts?

• Thread starter Deleted member 50230
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 50230

Hey!
I just returned from Spain Couple a days ago after walking from Ponferrada to Santiago. Sadly though I took it a little too hard and too fast and ended up with Tendinitis in my knee. Classic rush with no endurance building. Needless to say, Lesson learned for the next time... :oops:

And that's the thing, like many "Camino Junkies" I met on the road, I would very much like to walk the Camino as long as I can walk. I think the next time will be around summer 2017 and I'll have time to heal and train before, so... I am thinking about a challenging 1000 Km walk.

Now, I will probably have around two Months time (End of July -> End of September/Mid October 2017) which I think should be enough If I want to take it easy, in order to avoid farther Injury and enjoy the road like I should have the first time. I would not want to rush things again like I did and finish my way early...

The idea is to start from St. Jean Pied De Port and walk to Leon, take a break there for a couple of days and then walk up the Camino San Salvador. After a break in Oviedo walk through the Camino Del Norte or the Camino Primitivo and once in Santiago walk to Fisterra.

So, the route is Devided to:
1: SjPdP -> Leon
2:Leon->Oviedo
3:Oviedo -> SdC
4:SdC-> Fisterra
Every ending of such "Etape" I will take a couple days break to recover, and after every week of walking I will take one day break. I guess that over time I will build up my endurance, but still would not want to walk more than 25 - 30 Km a day once I'm in shape.

So my question to all the Camino veterans here is does this planned route sound good and well planned (even if only roughly outlined)? Are two months enough for such route to be walked at an easy pace (average 20 km per day from week 3)? Did anybody here did something similar and can advise on how to walk such long distance and different routes?

Basically any comment or advice are welcome ;)

Buen Camino y Ultreia! :)
Tal.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
תבדוק ת-מייל שלחתי לך אחד פרטי מירושלים!

If Scruffy's message suggested including Jerusalem in your 2 month pilgrimage, I'd say 'YES!'. And Rome. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you've had injury problems walking 200km this year, I'd suggest that you should increase your Camino distances rather more gradually - a day's rest a week won't be enough to get you fit for your proposed walk - a better intermediate step might be something like Irun to Santander along the Norte

Thanks Spursfan. The thing is I'm pretty sure the reason I was hurt is because I walked 24 Km the very first day and kept on going at this pace until Santiago o_O
I hope to train for about three months before the next walk, and go easy on myself once I'm there.
But plans change, so what you pruposed just might happen in the end :)

Hi Tal. The plan looks exciting and doable if you are reasonably fit. It;s all personal, but for me training is not the key factor for remaining injury free. I always take special care to do shorter stages during the first week (15 - 20 km) and then gradually increase when I feel like it, but always try to listen to my body and take a rest day or shorter day when I feel tired or just a little pain. Flexibility in your schedule is key I guess. This has always worked for me. Besides, you may want to evaluate your shoes and have some knowledgable shoe salesman giving you advice on which shoes are right for you (well, this was invaluable for me in the past, but it may be different for you). Well, I am sure you'll be fine. Buen camino ! Marc

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey!
I just returned from Spain Couple a days ago after walking from Ponferrada to Santiago. Sadly though I took it a little too hard and too fast and ended up with Tendinitis in my knee. Classic rush with no endurance building. Needless to say, Lesson learned for the next time... :oops:

And that's the thing, like many "Camino Junkies" I met on the road, I would very much like to walk the Camino as long as I can walk. I think the next time will be around summer 2017 and I'll have time to heal and train before, so... I am thinking about a challenging 1000 Km walk.

Now, I will probably have around two Months time (End of July -> End of September/Mid October 2017) which I think should be enough If I want to take it easy, in order to avoid farther Injury and enjoy the road like I should have the first time. I would not want to rush things again like I did and finish my way early...

The idea is to start from St. Jean Pied De Port and walk to Leon, take a break there for a couple of days and then walk up the Camino San Salvador. After a break in Oviedo walk through the Camino Del Norte or the Camino Primitivo and once in Santiago walk to Fisterra.

So, the route is Devided to:
1: SjPdP -> Leon
2:Leon->Oviedo
3:Oviedo -> SdC
4:SdC-> Fisterra
Every ending of such "Etape" I will take a couple days break to recover, and after every week of walking I will take one day break. I guess that over time I will build up my endurance, but still would not want to walk more than 25 - 30 Km a day once I'm in shape.

So my question to all the Camino veterans here is does this planned route sound good and well planned (even if only roughly outlined)? Are two months enough for such route to be walked at an easy pace (average 20 km per day from week 3)? Did anybody here did something similar and can advise on how to walk such long distance and different routes?

Basically any comment or advice are welcome ;)

Buen Camino y Ultreia! :)
Tal.
Yes mine was sjpdp to Finnesterre took 33 days with no days off . Your route is what I plan next with my wife her first time. I think by the time you arrive in Ovideo you should be very fit.

Basically for the first 2 weeks build up to 25k So do what you can starting out stop if you begin to feel pain. So by the first week try to get to 20k consistently. You will be suprised how quickly you will be able to walk what starts @ 8 hrs will only take you 6. Those 40k days by the time you are leaving Santiago are not bad if you want to make the coast a day early, I suggest going to Muxia then on to Finnestere.

I think it's a wonderful plan, other than for the fact you will be on the Frances in July.Mind you, living in Israel you are used to hot temps. Why not walk the Norte which will have a bit more breeze and gorgeous views to Oviedo ( beat time of the year in terms of lodging on that route), bus to Leon to walk the Salvador and then the Primitivo. If heat is a concern. Otherwise I say go for it! You may also prefer to avoid summer crowds on the Frances at that time of the year, or perhaps not. Up to you, but factors to consider.

As for tendinitis, I have never trained, and am more than a little chunky, I just take it easy every day, walking my 20-24 km slowly, and have learned about the importance of stretching and icing. And here and there I will walk 15 km and rest a bit more that day. I have never stopped for a full day. Some lovely beaches on the Norte to soak your tired feet ...

Hi Tal. The plan looks exciting and doable if you are reasonably fit. It;s all personal, but for me training is not the key factor for remaining injury free. I always take special care to do shorter stages during the first week (15 - 20 km) and then gradually increase when I feel like it, but always try to listen to my body and take a rest day or shorter day when I feel tired or just a little pain. Flexibility in your schedule is key I guess. This has always worked for me. Besides, you may want to evaluate your shoes and have some knowledgable shoe salesman giving you advice on which shoes are right for you (well, this was invaluable for me in the past, but it may be different for you). Well, I am sure you'll be fine. Buen camino ! Marc
Thank you Marc! Listening to the body will be the key! ;)

Basically for the first 2 weeks build up to 25k So do what you can starting out stop if you begin to feel pain. So by the first week try to get to 20k consistently. You will be suprised how quickly you will be able to walk what starts @ 8 hrs will only take you 6.
I think I will start by building up to 15 km the first week, since I am pretty flexible with time! But yes walking 20-25 km after a while is the goal with some days of reducing it to 15 for rest.

Why not walk the Norte which will have a bit more breeze and gorgeous views to Oviedo ( beat time of the year in terms of lodging on that route), bus to Leon to walk the Salvador and then the Primitivo
It sound's like a good idea, avoiding the heat and the crowds. I Just ordered a book Called: "The Northern Caminos - The Caminos Norte, Primitivo and Ingles" by Dave Whitson and Laura Perazzoli. I hope to find Some information about the topography and albergues on those routs so I can plan my daily walks and see which one fit's me better! :) and ofcourse, Compare the starting points of the Frances and the Del Norte and make my decision.
thank you for the suggestion!

As for tendinitis, I have never trained, and am more than a little chunky, I just take it easy every day, walking my 20-24 km slowly, and have learned about the importance of stretching and icing. And here and there I will walk 15 km and rest a bit more that day. I have never stopped for a full day. Some lovely beaches on the Norte to soak your tired feet

I would actually like to know more about good stretches for before / after walking!
and icing, you did it every day once you arrived to the albergue or just once in a while?
thanks! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello again,

While I enjoy carrying a paper guide with me to take notes and learn a bit of history I'm afraid this guide, and I do have it, will not give you info on topography and very little on albergues other than mention them. For example, it does not tell you when the ones on the Norte close after the season. It mostly tells you where to turn right and left in case you ,iss arrows. For more detailed info I refer you to the Eroski site, even if your Spanish is minimal you will get what you need from it.

Regarding icing I would do it after arriving at the albergue in the pm, but if possible also during lunch or other breaks. 5-10 minutes when and where I could. Would ask for ice at bars when I would buy a cafe con leche. Just carry a ziplock bag with you to put those icecubes in. Becauce my issue is plantar fasciitis I also carries a small plastic bottle to freeze in albergues where possible to have a large ice cube to roll on the bottom of my feet.

My stretches involved toes, bottom of feet and calfs, again for PF.

Good luck!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We are planning to walk the Camino Frances again in late August 2016, God willing. On August 12 th,2015, I was in a serious car accident and broke a veribrae in my back and had to have surgery. I am hoping by 8/2016, I will to be in shape to make to make the trip that I had been so looking forward to for three years. Buen Camino.

We are planning to walk the Camino Frances again in late August 2016, God willing. On August 12 th,2015, I was in a serious car accident and broke a veribrae in my back and had to have surgery. I am hoping by 8/2016, I will to be in shape to make to make the trip that I had been so looking forward to for three years. Buen Camino.
Vilma, I wish you full health! Hope you will get better and walk the way again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back