• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning 40 Days on the Camino Frances

SirRon

Time of past OR future Camino
May-July 2023
I apologize for my questions. I just like reading different people's POV. So not including the travel day to get to SJPDP I rally need to complete my Camino! I wish I could go for 45 but I can't. Good news is my oldest daughter is getting married a couple weeks after I get back and I'm sure I'll be needed for some pre-wedding duties. Okay back on topic.

I got some good advice in my last post so here's my conundrum. I do think it's a good idea to take it slower the first few days (Not walking all the way to Roncesvalles in one day). However, I would really like to spend an extra day in Pamplona. Too much love of Hemingway in my college days I guess. I don't think I can afford to take an extra day to get to Roncesvalles and take a day off in Pamplona since I also want to spend a few days going to Muxia and Finisterre before my 40 days are up. So what would you suggest?

1) Push through to Roncesvalles in one day so I can take an extra day in Pamplona or
2) Split the trip to Roncesvalles over 2 days and just try to absorb as much Pamplona as I can the day I arrive there and prior to leaving out the next day?

I totally get that this is just preference but sometimes reading other opinions helps me out. If you don't like my questions, feel free to grumble and skip replying haha.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Actually you could take two days at the beginning maybe go through Valcarlos and then push to Burgette which is also a Hemmingway town? Then on to Pamplona. Or you can start in Roncessvalles or Burgette (which is only short distance from Roncesvalles) or even start in Pamplona and that way you would not be rushing, but could spend the extra time you want exploring.

Actually you could take two days at the beginning maybe go through Valcarlos and then push to Burgette which is also a Hemmingway town? Then on to Pamplona. Or you can start in Roncessvalles or Burgette (which is only short distance from Roncesvalles) or even start in Pamplona and that way you would not be rushing, but could spend the extra time you want exploring.
thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
How many Hemingway towns are there on the camino?
A few but I read a lot about his time in Pamplona back in my college days. Or more specifically, I had an English professor who discussed it a lot while we read a lot of Hemingway's work. Mind you I've been out of college for 23 years so I might have forgotten a few things.

If you love Hemingway, I can definitely second @Rick of Rick and Peg and @J Willhaus – Burguete is a gem. Perhaps it is not necessary to stay there overnight? Personally, I only walked through Burguete on the way from Roncesvalles to Larrasoana, but it was enough to linger awhile and reflect on the river. When you're lucky enough to see fish and/or fly-fishers out and about, it feels like you're right beside Papa H fishing there himself.

Burguete_fishing.JPG

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1) Push through to Roncesvalles in one day so I can take an extra day in Pamplona or
2) Split the trip to Roncesvalles over 2 days and just try to absorb as much Pamplona as I can the day I arrive there and prior to leaving out the next day?
Here's a thought, mirroring what others have said:
Day 1. SJPP - Orisson or Valcarlos (1/2 day only)
Day 2. Orisson or Valcarlos - Burguete (with all its Hemingway vibes)
Day 3. Burguete - Larasoanna or Zabaldika
Day 4. Larasoanna or Zabaldika - Pamplona (With more Hemingway vibes; another short day)

I'd personally be very willing to ditch the Mixia/Finisterre part in favor of an interesting and slower start. But then I will completely own being one of those people who doesn't get the allure of the add-on walk to the coast. That may not be you.

Day 4. Larasoanna or Zabaldika - Pamplona (With more Hemingway vibes; another short day)

I'd personally be very willing to ditch the Mixia/Finisterre part in favor of an interesting and slower start. But then I will completely own being one of those people who doesn't get the allure of the add-on walk to the coast. That may not be you.
I'm also okay taking a bus to Muxia Finisterre instead of walking that part haha. Thank yo for the 4 day suggestion. I will look it over. Definitely a good idea!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Yes thank you again! I think i will do this :)

Another idea is that you take as much time as you need to go easy at the beginning, then when you get to the Meseta, you rent a bike for the Burgos-Leon stretch and "gain" some days back, if needed.

I agree with starting easy and adapting as you go further :)

EDIT: also, if a Compostela is important for you, you eed to walk the last 100km on foot. But before that, no harm if you need to take a bus or a taxi at some point. You are in charge and this is your camino :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Another idea is that you take as much time as you need to go easy at the beginning, then when you get to the Meseta, you rent a bike for the Burgos-Leon stretch and "gain" some days back, if needed.

I agree with starting easy and adapting as you go further :)

EDIT: also, if a Compostela is important for you, you eed to walk the last 100km on foot. But before that, no harm if you need to take a bus or a taxi at some point. You are in charge and this is your camino :)
Oh i definitely plan to walk all of it but yes I will keep that in mind :)

I apologize for my questions. I just like reading different people's POV. So not including the travel day to get to SJPDP I rally need to complete my Camino! I wish I could go for 45 but I can't. Good news is my oldest daughter is getting married a couple weeks after I get back and I'm sure I'll be needed for some pre-wedding duties. Okay back on topic.

I got some good advice in my last post so here's my conundrum. I do think it's a good idea to take it slower the first few days (Not walking all the way to Roncesvalles in one day). However, I would really like to spend an extra day in Pamplona. Too much love of Hemingway in my college days I guess. I don't think I can afford to take an extra day to get to Roncesvalles and take a day off in Pamplona since I also want to spend a few days going to Muxia and Finisterre before my 40 days are up. So what would you suggest?

I totally get that this is just preference but sometimes reading other opinions helps me out. If you don't like my questions, feel free to grumble and skip replying haha.
My favourite part of the Camino has always been the Pyrenees. I would take 2 days to go through them, stop in Roncenvalles for coffee and a short wander and push on from there

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The city of Pamplona has a Hemingway webpage with a number of old photographs showing parts of the city that Hemingway mentioned. The photograph showing the running of the bulls shows the biggest change between Hemingway's day and our own.

It's quite easy and affordable to take a one day bus tour to Finisterre/Muxia from Santiago. You will find people handing out leaflets outside the cathedral. Rather than being overly focused on that portion of the journey, I think it's important to give yourself the luxury of taking time where you want it, in Pamplona or elsewhere along the way.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

I would take the two days to Burgette; take the bus to Finisterre if time is short.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Are you planning to spend a night in SJPdP? If so, you can save a night by walking up to Honto or Orrison the afternoon you arrive (after picking up your pilgrim passport) instead of staying the night in SJPDP. Just make sure you arrive by dinner time. :)

Maybe do both and take a bus tour to Muxia and Finistere at the end? Or skip some other day?

Are you planning to spend a night in SJPdP? If so, you can save a night by walking up to Honto or Orrison the afternoon you arrive (after picking up your pilgrim passport) instead of staying the night in SJPDP. Just make sure you arrive by dinner time. :)
It depends what time I get there. My flight when I book it, should land around 7am. Then I plan on catching a flight to Biarritz. Then bus to Bayonne, and train to SJPDP. Or at least that's what I'm thinking now. I would like to look around SJPDP but yeah if i can get there early enough I could walk to Orisson then or the the next morning.

If you don't have a reservation at Orisson or Borda you can still walk up there in the afternoon then taxi back to St Jean. Next morning taxi to Orisson and start walking.

Or use the Express Bourricot Mountain Shuttle.

la-navette-du-matin.png

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As an alternative to Orrison, I recommend checking out Auberge Borda. It's only about a kilometer beyond Orrison and a lovely setting. The host, Lorenzo, runs a 'tight ship' but it's very clean, modern, and he prepares and serves a 3 course dinner (also offers breakfast and a 'to go' lunch for the trek to Roncesvalles). My friend and I had a wonderful experience there.

Burguette is a pretty sweet little village. 😉

We spent a couple days in Pamplona to acclimate before we began our Camino in St. John. Depending on what of Hemingway you're interested in, I think you could probably see most of it, including visiting the Catedral (not Hemingway related, but which is definitely worth seeing) in an afternoon. Cafe Iruna is lovely!

"Weather, illness, injury or an emergency back home may prevent the completion of your camino but you're likely going to make it to Pamplona."
This is a reality! Not to be negative but my friend (also from Georgia) and I had to pause our Camino just before Viana. A freak accident - I made a misstep, fell and hit my elbow, (hard to stop a fall with a backpack on) and had to have surgery, so needed to fly home. We'll go back to finish in the spring and next time, I'll be using my poles ALL the time. 😊

Whatever you decide, it's an amazing, unforgettable experience- even after only one week. And Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Do both (stay in Orisson or Borda) and see Pamplona. Personally, I prefer to stop and spend the night in Pamplona before heading to SJPdP. This would depend on how you are getting to SJPdP. I usually fly through a Madrid so this makes sense and gives me time to recover from travel. If you need to make up time later, then bus to Burgos and in/out of Leon. This is a city/industrial walk and you will miss nothing. You will get stronger as you go and will be able to cover more distance.

As an alternative to Orrison, I recommend checking out Auberge Borda. It's only about a kilometer beyond Orrison and a lovely setting. The host, Lorenzo, runs a 'tight ship' but it's very clean, modern, and he prepares and serves a 3 course dinner (also offers breakfast and a 'to go' lunch for the trek to Roncesvalles). My friend and I had a wonderful experience there.

Burguette is a pretty sweet little village. 😉

We spent a couple days in Pamplona to acclimate before we began our Camino in St. John. Depending on what of Hemingway you're interested in, I think you could probably see most of it, including visiting the Catedral (not Hemingway related, but which is definitely worth seeing) in an afternoon. Cafe Iruna is lovely!

"Weather, illness, injury or an emergency back home may prevent the completion of your camino but you're likely going to make it to Pamplona."
This is a reality! Not to be negative but my friend and I (also from Georgia) had to pause our Camino just before Viana. A freak accident - I made a misstep, fell and hit my elbow, (hard to stop a fall with a backpack on) and had to have surgery, so needed to fly home. We'll go back to finish in the spring and next time, I'll be using my poles ALL the time. 😊

Whatever you decide, it's an amazing, unforgettable experience- even after only one week. And Buen Camino!
I do have Auberge Borda written down as an option besides Orisson! I have considered it and have thought about it to.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On my first Camino I walked from SJPdP to Finisterre in 36 days, including an extra day in León (after that I learned that I prefer to do a couple of consecutive short days rather than a full rest day).

I was 58, and had never done a long distance walk nor used a hiking backpack before in my life.
Spend the extra day in Pamplona if you want. You have plenty of time.

Or, rather than spending two nights in Pamplona you could do these stages and arrive in Pamplona early, then leave late the next day:

SJPdP - Orisson 7.7 km
Orisson - Burguete 20km
Burguete - Akerreta 24.86 km
Akerreta - Pamplona 14.7 km
Pamplona - Zariquiegui 11 km

But you have 6 months to think about it. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I started slow, stayed in Orisson (split first “stage”) and still had time to have a rest day in Pamplona and elsewhere in 40 days. My personal recommendation would be to start slower in the Pyrenees and make up time/distance later when you naturally become fitter.

Due to health issues we have decided to start in Pamplona. I am taking two days in Pamplona to absorb this city. As the saying goes..."I may never pass this way again ".
Bon Camino.

I have loved adding in Muxia and Finesterre at the end of my Caminos. I treat them as "vacation days" as I allow a couple of days in each to relax near the beautiful water, but I always walk the approx. 22 miles between them, staying overnight halfway in Lires between the two.
I take a bus from Santiago and back again at the end.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have loved adding in Muxia and Finesterre at the end of my Caminos. I treat them as "vacation days" as I allow a couple of days in each to relax near the beautiful water, but I always walk the approx. 22 miles between them, staying overnight halfway in Lires between the two.
I take a bus from Santiago and back again at the end.
I intend to walk to both after my arrival in Santiago. Which one did you walk to first ? Is it off road walking between Fisterra and Muxia ?
cheers

I intend to walk to both after my arrival in Santiago. Which one did you walk to first ? Is it off road walking between Fisterra and Muxia ?
cheers
I have always taken the bus to Muxia first as it is more quiet, beautiful, and feels like a little vacay and decompression after the excitement and busyness of Santiago, whereas Finesterre is quite busy although lovely in its own way. I have always ended in late May.
There are a few small backroads when walking between the two, but I recall no traffic, good signsge, and there is also a more remote trail you can choose very near the coastline which I did not do.

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding. Start slowly. Allow some adaptation. Besides the first stages have a great deal of ascension. There are many other stages past Burgos that you can shortened into fewer. There is absolutely no rush. Remember you can not rush through life, it takes the same amount of time. Take your time and enjoy - start with that and life will reward you. Now, you do have plenty of time so I would not worry. In the end, it will depend on how many kilometres you will walk on average per day. Regardless, 40 days is sufficient so relax and enjoy.
Buen Camino,
Ricardo

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
IMO I think the Pyrenees and Pamplona are much more interesting than Fisterra or Muxia. Two days over the Pyrenees and a day of rest, re-organization and tourism in Pamplona.

And Roncevalles is such a key experience in so many Caminos, you want to experience it.

The Camino will throw you a lot of curveballs, plan the first part, see what happens at the end. My Camino ended up being so different from what I had planned. Pack brutally light, walk slow the first week, and make as many friends as you can.

IMO I think the Pyrenees and Pamplona are much more interesting than Fisterra or Muxia. Two days over the Pyrenees and a day of rest, re-organization and tourism in Pamplona.

And Roncevalles is such a key experience in so many Caminos, you want to experience it.

The Camino will throw you a lot of curveballs, plan the first part, see what happens at the end.
Thank you for your advice. I prefer experiencing the Pyrenees as much as I can. Since I obviously haven't started I figured I would ask advice from those more experienced. For that I appreciate your comment. I really don't want to make any reservations or "concrete plans" beyond Pamplona. Beyond that I'llll take the trip as it comes.

I would love to know what gave you the power to gaze into my soul and make such a narrow minded assumption. I asked a question I had . I didn’t feel the need to convince you why I saved money for four years, was delayed due to my daughter’s near death and my desire to make this trip in her honor since she can not go with me anymore. But forgive me for daring to also having an interest in seeing a couple of places that interest me since my college days. Please tell me how I should make this journey instead oh wise one: or better yet, just click ignore on my posts and spare us both your judgmental attitude. During that time please work on your reading comprehension and discover that 40 days and inquiring about one rest day in no way would make a normal person to think I wanted to rush and be a tourist.
Text (especially informal text) can be an abysmal method of communication sometimes.

To have 40 days is splendid; it gives you the freedom to pretty much do as you wish.

Rather than plan time in Pamplona / which is a nice place - perhaps just get there and see how you feel about it. Sometimes the smaller places can be more relatable if you have a day or two to spare. Don’t underestimate the Santiago experience, I’ve always tried to spend a couple of days there and I’ve been several times.

Text (especially informal text) can be an abysmal method of communication sometimes.

To have 40 days is splendid; it gives you the freedom to pretty much do as you wish.

Rather than plan time in Pamplona / which is a nice place - perhaps just get there and see how you feel about it. Sometimes the smaller places can be more relatable if you have a day or two to spare. Don’t underestimate the Santiago experience, I’ve always tried to spend a couple of days there and I’ve been several times.
In no way am I underestimating haha. I have no plans beyond how I start. Just asking opinions and yours is fine. I really just was looking at what others would suggest or had experienced and after reading several suggestions, I do think I'd like to try and go slowly over the Pyrenees and get to Pamplona early one day and then see how I feel then. If I want to take a day when I get there, I will. If I don't feel the need, I'll keep on trekking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your advice. I prefer experiencing the Pyrenees as much as I can. Since I obviously haven't started I figured I would ask advice from those more experienced. For that I appreciate your comment. I really don't want to make any reservations or "concrete plans" beyond Pamplona. Beyond that I'llll take the trip as it comes.
….And even if it doesn’t always sound like it, 99% of theadvice and comments you get here are intended in the spirit of friendliness. I know mine is, but I worry that it sounded didactic. Something for me and everybody to keep in mind.

We’re all rooting for you that you have an amazing and transformative camino.

Or that you just have fun!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you love Hemingway, I can definitely second @Rick of Rick and Peg and @J Willhaus – Burguete is a gem. Perhaps it is not necessary to stay there overnight? Personally, I only walked through Burguete on the way from Roncesvalles to Larrasoana, but it was enough to linger awhile and reflect on the river. When you're lucky enough to see fish and/or fly-fishers out and about, it feels like you're right beside Papa H fishing there himself.

View attachment 132357
I met some French walkers who passed through Roncevalles and spent the night in Burguette. If I ever walk this way again I'd consider doing the same.

Last edited:

The Camino will throw you a lot of curveballs, plan the first part, see what happens at the end. My Camino ended up being so different from what I had planned. Pack brutally light, walk slow the first week, and make as many friends as you can.
@Stephan the Painter When you say Pack brutally light would care to expound please? Brutally light is what I'm looking for!

@Stephan the Painter When you say Pack brutally light would care to expound please? Brutally light is what I'm looking for!
Off topic, sorry.
I just mean, to not take anything that you absolutely don't need. It's amazing how little you can do with. And it's not only carrying it, It's having to sort and clean and repack, etc. It just really makes your entire trip more pleasant. And you can buy anything you require or forgot in Spain.

I'm not going to post a packing list, but here is one that claims she managed with 4 KG or about 9 pounds.

Last edited:
Of topic, sorry.
I just mean, to not take anything that you absolutely don't need. It's amazing how little you can do with. And it's not only carrying it, It's having to sort and clean and repack, etc. It just really makes your entire trip more pleasant. And you can buy anything you require or forgot in Spain.

I'm not going to post a packing list, but here is one that claims she managed with 4 KG or about 9 pounds.
I am always amazed how much stuff folks take. Whilst I can walk forever I have poor upper body strength so this is key for me. Two changes of clothes (and I only wear shorts), a pair of flip flops, a wallet, passport, toiletries and a hat! Think that about it!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back