• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning a Solo Walking Trip from Valenca to Santiago: Itinerary Questions and Tips

Lizbird58

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Camino 23
Intro: planning to walk solo from Valenca to Santiago, 3rd week in October, on the central route as I have a limited number of days. In my mid 60's with fussy feet. Prefer to book a private room for each night in advance, so I have a plan and know where I will be staying. Currently walk my dog approx 3 miles a day and will "train -up" between now and then to be ready. Was thinking about walking a few days, then taking a day off - just to make sure I don't over do it. I'm also thinking of breaking up the 14 mile walk from Padron to Santiago into 2 days, if I can find a place to stay half-way but options are limited.

Here are my questions:
1) Where is the best city for an extra night stay- Pontevedra or Caldas de Reis - why?
2) Would you break the walk from Padron to Santiago into 2 nights or would you prefer to power through and spend an extra night In Santiago - why?
3) How far in advance would you make your room reservations?
4) How far in advance do you book your airfare (I'll be flying in from New Mexico - no hubs here) but think 10 months ahead is too early to book? I will pay extra for a changeable but non-refundable ticket.

Any other advice that might help with my planning is appreciated. Thank you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Lizbird58, I walked the CP in May using the Central route.
1) Where is the best city for an extra night stay- Pontevedra or Caldas de Reis - why?
I didn't stay in either, but if pushed, Pontevedra looked to be a more interesting town than Caldas de Reis. Would it be best? Your call.
2) Would you break the walk from Padron to Santiago into 2 nights or would you prefer to power through and spend an extra night In Santiago - why?
I walked from Arcade over four days to spread out my walking days, and stayed in Glorioso the night before reaching Santiago. I am slow, and I wasn't in a rush. But at about 12 km to go, it would be possible to get into SDC in the morning with an early start and a brisk pace. I didn't, and went to the midday mass the following day.

I was also able to spend another day in Santiago, and took a tour out to Fisterra and Muxia.
I booked accommodation in Santiago before departure, but where I could book along the way, that was normally the night before, maybe two nights. Someone else might give you a better idea of what might be needed in October.

I use a CPAP machine, so I like to check that I will be able to get a bed near a power-point, or a private room if one is available.
4) How far in advance do you book your airfare (I'll be flying in from New Mexico - no hubs here) but think 10 months ahead is too early to book? I will pay extra for a changeable but non-refundable ticket.
I start looking for specials about 11-12 months out from when I want to travel for the major flights into and back from Europe. I normally visit family and friends in the UK after my camino, and don't book those flights more than a fortnight out from reaching Santiago.

Last edited:
Hi Liz, let me see if I can add in to what’s already been said.

My preference would definitely be Pontevedra. It’s a wonderfully lively city with a charming historic center. For a rest day, there’s plenty to do there and lots of good eateries. We stayed at the Slow City Hostel which offers private rooms.

What I’m not clear on is how many miles you plan on walking every day. The two times that we’ve walked this route, we did the last part as one stage and arrived in SdC by early afternoon each day. But, walking 14 mikes was a pretty typical day for us. If you visit Gronze.com that website will give you a good idea as to accommodations between Padrón and Santiago. If you can walk that distance as one stage, or have an extra day, having an second day in Santiago is advised. It’s a wonderful city to explore and bump into Camino friends. We’ve always planned at least two nights there.

Start now. First, figure out your stopping points. I like to use both Gronze.com to identify accommodations and Booking.com for making “refundable” reservations (just in case my plans or itinerary change). If you find a place where you want to stay and they don’t use a service like Booking, contact them directly by email. Most are very good at responding quickly.

4) How far in advance do you book your airfare

I’d at least start looking now. Although airfares always seem to increase not decrease, I think you still have some time before buying your ticket. However, if you see a good fare, buy it when it becomes available.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here are my questions:

I can't answer all of your questions because I have not walked the same route - but personally I would prefer to have an extra night in Santiago for the following reasons: 1) I do like getting my compostella and it gives me plenty of time to get that 2) I do like to go to the service at the Cathedral and I did want to see the Botafumeiro swing - getting a spot in the Cathedral for the mid-day mass means getting there VERY early (that is the mass where it is most likely to swing it seems). And if there is no Bota during the mass I attended, I do try to go back and see if it is at another service 3) There is a lot to do and see in Santiago! 4) Gives me time to have goodbye celebration lunches/dinners with pilgrims I met along the way

As for airfare - I personally book about 6 months in advance. Why? It gives me time to pay off that ticket (if I put it on credit and didn't pay it off immediately) and save more money for the actual journey. Is 10 months too early? Only if you can't find lot of flights to chose from, in which case you might not get a more competitive price. I find most airlines post their tickets by about 6 months in advance. Of course, you can also book closer to the date. But give yourself some buffer time if at all possible in case you have injuries or need extra days. Even with changeable tickets - you often end up paying a lot more for changes closer to flight dates as prices are usually higher then and you still have to pay for the difference in price.

Rest days - I recommend having time built into your schedule but only take them if you need them or are inspired to do them. Not just because you think you have to schedule them. Be flexible. You might not want it where or when you thought you wanted it. You might not need or want one at all.

Reservations - listen to people who know that route better - but my general recommendation is to not book more than 24 hours in advance unless you know it will be difficult to find a bed in a particular location. Again - I don't know the route - so better to listen to people who do.

I hesitate to make overnight arrangements far in advance.

You don't know what the weather will be. I hadn't planned on staying extra nights on the CP but the weather forced it on me last October.

You can't know in advance how you will handle the Camino. You may need to take time off even though you sound like you are thoughtfully planning to be in shape.

There will be unforeseen circumstances that no one, not even experienced pilgrims, can predict.

I had no problem finding accommodations on the CP Central in October 2022, even without reservations.

It's a relatively short Camino. Enjoy the sights and the people you will meet. Do not lock yourself into staying in a particular place on a particular day too far in advance. All the cities and towns have fun things to see - it's much more about the people you will meet.

Buen Camino!!

Thank you all who replied. My initial thoughts were to walk approx 10 miles a day - again to make sure I dont over do it, but given my limited number of days, there are going to be a few days where the miles exceed my comfort level. Who knows maybe with "training" over the next year I will be fine to do 13-15 miles back to back? Part of me says be spontaneous book while there, the other part says book ahead since having a plan will make the trip easier - knowing where I need to be? I am making this the "year" of the camino with contemplation and prayer. Feeling a sense of calm already! Again thank you for sharing your ideas.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here are my questions:

1. It depends on your priorities and how you are feeling. Pontevedra is a bigger city with more to see and do. Caldas de Reis is a small town with hot springs nd spas. Which sounds more appealing to you? Would you rather look at museums or sights, or spend time relaxing in the spa?

2. I didn't break the walk from Padron to Santiago, although I did break several other stages between Porto and Santiago that others were doing in one day. 20-25 km is my sweet spot, and this stage fit it well.

3. I generally make accommodations a day or so in advance (when I make them) unless there is a spot I particularly want to stay (Casa da Fernanda on that Camino, but it was before Valença). If a particular place is important to me and I have reason to believe it fills up, I will make the reservation as far in advance as I can.

4. I like to book about 5 months in advance (I think I was once told by a travel agent friend that is a good time) but I am late to book flights for my June Camino.

We walked from Porto to Santiago last May. Pontevedra is definitely bigger and more interesting than Caldas de Reis, although we did celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary in Caldas de Reis, and the Gin & Tonics are great in both (with Nordes gin).
We also walked from Padron to Santiago in one day. It is too far to get to Santiago for the pilgrim Mass, so one reason for breaking it up is that you have a short last day of walking, and get in in time for the pilgrim Mass that morning. People we know stayed in O Milladoiro the last night. You probably want to allow yourself to be in the cathedral at least 40 minutes before the Mass time in order to get a seat, if not longer.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back