• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning Ahead for Summer 2017

sadaigh

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (July 2017), Via Francigena (May 2019)
I'm finally going to do this! I have been reading and planning in my spare time for the last 6 months, and despite all the great threads on this forum, I still have some questions. Hopefully some of you awesome people can help me get some answers! I'm starting my Camino in mid-June and will stay for all of July.

1) Sleeping bag/liner/quilt
I've done quite a bit of research and found a sleeping quilt, Enlightened Equipment's Revelation http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/#.WAp-X1nFbzw.email, that is highly recommended and very light weight. I am the type of person who sleeps with a warming blanket under my down blanket when it's colder that 65 degrees F, so I know I'm going to need something more than a liner. For those of you out there who have used a quilt instead of a sleeping bag, how is it different? What was your experience?

2) Pants
I love hiking and walking and usually just wear workout leggings... any women out there have any experiences they could share about whether or not this will work? I've seen quite a few women talk about skirts and dresses to reduce heat, but I just can't do it. I need something between my legs. Any advice?

3) Shirts
Merino wool is what I keep reading and I'm probably getting a Merino wool shirt to try out before I leave, but when it comes down to it... does it really matter? Is it really worth it or will any comfortable workout material-type shirt work?

4) Planning
In case you didn't notice, I am a planner. I just can't help myself. I've used the planner at http://www.godesalco.com/ to strategize a trip that can be done in 33 days that will leave 3 "extra" days in case we don't make it one day or in case of injury. Anyone have any experience with such a trip? How did it go?

5) Technology
My husband is not coming with me and he is a major worrier. I need to bring an emergency phone so he can get in touch with me, and I do want a few pictures from along the way... but I also don't want to live my life behind the lens of a camera or the screen of a stupid smart phone. Experience? Advice? What to take and what to leave behind?

Any and all help appreciated! I have only the most basic idea of what I am doing and have never ever done anything like the Camino before. Thank you in advance for everything!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Mid-June to July? A down quilt/sleeping bag seems a bit OTT ;-) but the weight is attractive! I would go for the lightest version 50F/10C which still should give you plenty of warmth. As for sleeping, these kind of 'zippable' kilts don't differ much from a sleeping bag, apart of the missing 'hood'.

2) Pants
What about a light weight hiking shirt over the leggings? Or just normal hiking trousers?

3) Shirts
In summer I wouldn't bother about Merino, yes, it has its advantages, but also its price. Normal sports/function wear will be fine.

4) Planning
Really depends how many kilometres you can comfortably walk per day. There is no hard and fast rule, but I tend to err on the side of slowliness and plan in more time. If you arrive 'too early' you can always spend extra days in Santiago and/or walk on to Finisterre/Muxia.

5) Technology
A phone is a tool, like many other things - it depends on you how you use that tool. Wifi is abundant in Spain, so no need for an international plan or even a Spanish SIM card, unless you want/need to have one.

Buen Camino and you will be fine - just as thousands of others before and after you ;-)

SY

For those of you out there who have used a quilt instead of a sleeping bag, how is it different? What was your experience?
On the Camino Frances in 2015 my sleeping bag was too warm so I bought a light weight version. There is a European standard for sleeping bag ratings and the one I bought had a comfort rating of 13 degrees centigrade (55F), a thermal equilibrium limit (lower limit) of 10 degrees centigrade (50F) and an extreme limit of -1 degrees centigrade (30F). I used the sleeping bag during most of June mainly as a blanket. For most of July in Galicia I didn't use it at all.

Wikipedia discusses the sleeping bag standard at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_13537

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Most quilts are really just snug blankets, with a pocket for your feet. Your back is not enclosed at all. You'll therefore probably want to bring along a liner or small sheet to lie on to protect yourself from the mattress.

Hi @sadaigh, re. your sleeping bag question: I have that EE quilt/sleeping bag and I absolutely love it. I open it out fully and use it with a silk liner. In colder weather I would probably fasten the clips to make it more like a regular sleeping bag (I haven't needed to do that yet).

Would I take it on a summer Camino? Probably, since it's so light and it can be squeezed into a small dry bag.

Re. shirts, trousers etc: if you already have comfortable and lightweight walking or sports clothing, just wear that. Although there's lots of talk about merino wool on this forum, most people you meet on the Camino won't have fancy gear.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Hi! I am starting at around June 3 or 4. I just purchased from Campmor.com a fleece 50/10 sleeping bag, one that can be used alone or add to a bag in cold temps, for $18.00. I'll be using it by itself. A great deal! (made by Coleman)

In re: leggings this is my own opinion: they belong only in the gym. I think they are not appealing when worn alone outside of a gym. Also, you'll be in villages where there are churches and leggings would not be appropriate attire to enter the church. Just my opinion.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I last walk with a quilt, and, while I love not feeling trapped, the little bugger kept getting away from me during the night, typically on the floor. Also, the price for the Enlightened products is outrageous in my opinion, especially if looking for something for warm temps. My 30$ Costco throw is 10x less expensive.

I use a Macabi skirt bit to wear after reaching the albergue. For walking I use walking pants, with lots of pockets. Anti thigh-rub, carry all, protect my legs from sun and burrs.

Synthetic is just fine, no need for Merino which btw, takes longer to dry. Yes synthetics smell more, but the inly Camino I smelled bad was on the Norte by 33 degrees C and ups and down galore. And who really smelled me? The second I reached the albergue one showers and does laundry.

Get an international plan on your phone or unlock your phone and buy a local SIM card, whose number you will only give to your husband. But remember to tell him the phone will ne off from 9pm to 6:30 am your time, or else fellow walkers will want to stone you for waking them up. Wifi available in most bars, restaurants and albergues, so you should be able to send an "I'm alive, good bye" text at least every 48 hours. And phine can serve as a camera.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I too vote for a silk liner with your light sleeping quilt. I love my liner. I had another brand of lightweight quilt -- I would place my liner on top of half of it, get into the liner, and throw other half over me. If I woke up hot, I could toss off that half of the quilt. Hope this makes sense.

I want to comment on the leggings: lots of women hike in leggings. I brought a pair plus hiking pants. I ended up using the hiking pants every day, as I had 2 problems: the biggest one was no pockets -- I made good use of my pockets on my hiking pants. And second, I found them to be too hot, even in weather over 65 degrees F.

But like I say, many women were very happy hiking in them. I guess I'm an exception...
Buen Camino!

a quilt instead of a sleeping bag, how is it different?
Most albergues require that you have something to sleep in. Sleeping directly on the mattress is rarely permitted (think of a few thousand sweaty pilgrims laying directly on the mattress). That makes a sleep sack a bit preferable to a quilt. In virtually every albergue there are blankets to put on top. In the summer you may have to ask for one from storage. Albergues that are too hot are a bigger problem than ones that are too cold.

Buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good advice here. I've done 2 caminos and am in my 60's. I find that for walking in Europe, I prefer legging-like pants or smart capris over hiking pants. European women don't look like nerds and frumps when they hike! With leggings I use a microfiber sports dress or tunic for coverage. You can also wear a skirt over them. Technical fabrics can look great and dry fast. Wool--not necessary at that time of year.

Extra days-go for it. You might find you need them all, or you can enjoy Santiago, Finisterre or Muxia afterward.

I always take my phone because I can use it for pictures, e-reader, and communication. No need to be glued to it. I have always gotten international phone package, but I think a sim card from Europe is probably a cheaper option. I plan to try it next time.

I'm finally going to do this! I have been reading and planning in my spare time for the last 6 months, and despite all the great threads on this forum, I still have some questions. Hopefully some of you awesome people can help me get some answers! I'm starting my Camino in mid-June and will stay for all of July.

I've done quite a bit of research and found a sleeping quilt, Enlightened Equipment's Revelation http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/#.WAp-X1nFbzw.email, that is highly recommended and very light weight. I am the type of person who sleeps with a warming blanket under my down blanket when it's colder that 65 degrees F, so I know I'm going to need something more than a liner. For those of you out there who have used a quilt instead of a sleeping bag, how is it different? What was your experience?

2) Pants
I love hiking and walking and usually just wear workout leggings... any women out there have any experiences they could share about whether or not this will work? I've seen quite a few women talk about skirts and dresses to reduce heat, but I just can't do it. I need something between my legs. Any advice?

3) Shirts
Merino wool is what I keep reading and I'm probably getting a Merino wool shirt to try out before I leave, but when it comes down to it... does it really matter? Is it really worth it or will any comfortable workout material-type shirt work?

4) Planning
In case you didn't notice, I am a planner. I just can't help myself. I've used the planner at http://www.godesalco.com/ to strategize a trip that can be done in 33 days that will leave 3 "extra" days in case we don't make it one day or in case of injury. Anyone have any experience with such a trip? How did it go?

5) Technology
My husband is not coming with me and he is a major worrier. I need to bring an emergency phone so he can get in touch with me, and I do want a few pictures from along the way... but I also don't want to live my life behind the lens of a camera or the screen of a stupid smart phone. Experience? Advice? What to take and what to leave behind?

Any and all help appreciated! I have only the most basic idea of what I am doing and have never ever done anything like the Camino before. Thank you in advance for everything!
I walked this year from August 22 to September 23.
I brought a silk liner and this superlight down throw blanket from Montbell. It's very small, but just the right size to tuck into the silk liner to add extra warmth if needed. Though for most of my walk being too hot at night was more of a problem than not being warm enough. You can also buy a very lightweight down blanket at Costco right now for only $20. It's bigger than you need if you use it with a silk liner, so you could cut it down and save some weight that way. I think that it weighs in at just about a pound.

I 100% recommend merino wool. Its advantage over technical fabrics is that it doesn't get stinky as quickly as the synthetics. I actually made myself two t-shirt style dresses (see one in my avatar) out of t-shirt weight merino. It was the perfect thing to walk in for me. I wore a lightweight pair of running shorts underneath for potential chafing and modesty. I brought a pair of merino tights for colder days and evenings.

I brought my smart phone, and my T-Mobile service gives me free unlimited data world wide, along with unlimited texting to and from US numbers.

I also traveled alone and had never done anything like this before either. I had never even carried a backpack before. I had no problems at all. I hope that you love the Camino as much as I did!

2) Pants

3) Shirts

4) Planning

5) Technology

I too am hoping to do this trek June-July 2017. I am very beginning phases so am excited to find this forum. I will be watching for any and all advice/suggestions as the months unfold.
My biggest concern is going to a foreign country alone. But, that is also the most exciting piece.
Thank you for your questions- as I share in them.
Kelly

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am soooo excited reading all of these posts!! I love the idea of sewing your own T-shirt dresses. When I trekked in Nepal, I wore a T-shirt under a sleeveless rayon dress. I'll have to bring something like that. I didn't know there were skirts designated as "hiking."

In all of the posts I've read, I haven't seen anything about lightweight backpacks. I am a small framed women, 5'2". What have you all used?

I-Messaging works between iPhones through wifi anywhere in the world. Also, What's App works well.

What did you all do with an extra bag with things that weren't part of the 10% body weight essentials while you were walking? Such as, books to read on the plane and any other clothes for AC (is this of the Camino lexicon? After Camino. :))

I love this forum. I feel a kinship here.
Sue

What did you all do with an extra bag with things that weren't part of the 10% body weight essentials while you were walking? Such as, books to read on the plane and any other clothes for AC (is this of the Camino lexicon? After Camino. :))
Last year I brought a suitcase with my pre and post Camino clothes and things, that I left with a friend in Madrid.
This year I plan to ship the suitcase on to Santiago, because after spending over a month in the same two sets of clothes I don't want to wait until I get back to Madrid to wear something different. And I may have a week or so after the Camino to travel around Spain, so I don't want to have to go back to Madrid right away for them.

My first Camino I had only what was in the pack. In Santiago I bought a new outfit. I read on the phone so no need for books. Second time I sent some things from Lisbon to care of Ivar. Third time I returned to start point where I left some stuff stored in the hostel. I'm 5'3" and used an Osprey Kestrel 38. Aside from one hiking pant and shirt, for walking in, I used leggings and a skirt for after walking hours while on Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As for an ultralight backpack: I used a Z-Pack Arc Blast, a small company in Florida, US. They do not distribute in stores, you order online. I'm a similar size as you, and it was perfect for me. It is not cheap, but you also don't need things like pack covers because it's waterproof. It weighs about a pound.

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back