• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning ahead

Bob Calver

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked the Norte in September 2019.
I am planning to walk El Camino del Norte in May next year (2019). I have family in Cantabria so for sentimental reasons (and some practical ones) want to start my pilgrimage there. I'm thinking of starting from Castro Urdiales. Any advice/thoughts/warnings will be gratefully received. I've walked a few trail stages - Comillas to Colombres, Santillana to Comillas and Santander as far as Boo. I'll be almost 67 by next may but am pretty fit. Bob

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am planning to walk El Camino del Norte in May next year (2019). I have family in Cantabria so for sentimental reasons (and some practical ones) want to start my pilgrimage there. I'm thinking of starting from Castro Urdiales. Any advice/thoughts/warnings will be gratefully received. I've walked a few trail stages - Comillas to Colombres, Santillana to Comillas and Santander as far as Boo. I'll be almost 67 by next may but am pretty fit. Bob

I just finished the entire El Norte and the stage from Castro Urdiales to Santono, here’s my journaled summary so make sure you get good directions - I’d take the coastal,route if physically capable otherwise takebthe long route that starts to the left under the highway overpass bridge - the road was my worse day.

CdN Day 11: Castro-Urdiales to Santoña (36 gruelling kms ). A day I don’t want repeat. There were 3 possible routes: 1 flat boring and 35km, another 25km high up on a coast path and the 3rd 25km straight roadside walking (pavement all day). I had decided to take the safer straightforward flatter long route but after 3 km on it a local man told me it was crazy long and walked me back down and showed me the coastal route. Weather was 20C no winds so I was confident taking the high coastal path but when I got to the start 5 km later a local lady warned me against it saying it was crazy to go alone as it was narrow with sheer cliff drops to the ocean so back I went and ended up on the worst being a 2 lane highway with minimal shoulder to walk. 31 km later I arrived in Laredo a beach resort where I took off my socks and sandals and walked in the cold Atlantic water (therapeutic) for 5 km more to the docks where thank God the tiny ferry was waiting to skipper me across to the other side of the bay to Santoña. This ferry service just started the season today and i caught the last one. If not it would have meant an additional 18 km walk around the bay. So despite my 2 Camino angels today not being able to agree I made it and enjoyed the beach. Now to sleep. Tomorrow is another day - to Güemes. Not many pics.

@Bob Calver , there is some great advice on the alternatives written by @peregrina2000 : https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/coastal-alternatives-to-the-nortes-asphalt.49578/
My wife and I are also in our 60's, and we're walking the Norte during September and October. I have also taken the advice from @Luka on walking the coastal bit between Castro Urdiales and Laredo (the bit referred to by @Colette Zaharie ): there is a marked path, and it is safe, so we're following that path. We're actually breaking the journey in Oriñon (found an AirBnB place), so that we can walk that coast at a leisurely pace. If you remind me in October, I'll let you know how it was.
Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Bob Calver , there is some great advice on the alternatives written by @peregrina2000 : https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/coastal-alternatives-to-the-nortes-asphalt.49578/
My wife and I are also in our 60's, and we're walking the Norte during September and October. I have also taken the advice from @Luka on walking the coastal bit between Castro Urdiales and Laredo (the bit referred to by @Colette Zaharie ): there is a marked path, and it is safe, so we're following that path. We're actually breaking the journey in Oriñon (found an AirBnB place), so that we can walk that coast at a leisurely pace. If you remind me in October, I'll let you know how it was.
Buen Camino!
Yes I printed out and used peregrina2000 alternate route descriptions BUT given I had heavy rain and at times high winds walking the coastal path alone was just too risky. But I did walked 90% coastal,routes.

Hi @Bob Calver ! I'm starting del Norte around May 1, 2019. I am planning on getting to Castro Urdiales around May 9 (or so...). I have no idea what route I will be taking. If I am following you, I'll be on the lookout for some updates! If I'm ahead of you, I will try to post some! If we get there on the same day, we better have a vino tinto.

Buen Camino!!!
Suzanne

Hi @Bob Calver ! I'm starting del Norte around May 1, 2019. I am planning on getting to Castro Urdiales around May 9 (or so...). I have no idea what route I will be taking. If I am following you, I'll be on the lookout for some updates! If I'm ahead of you, I will try to post some! If we get there on the same day, we better have a vino tinto.

Buen Camino!!!
Suzanne
Thank you. I will keep in touch - and good luck with your own plans

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes I printed out and used peregrina2000 alternate route descriptions BUT given I had heavy rain and at times high winds walking the coastal path alone was just too risky. But I did walked 90% coastal,routes.

Thank you for this. It's all very helpful. I know that from Santander to Boo de Pielagos the coastal route is considerably longer but, having walked the shorter 'official' leg at Easter I know the coastal route is much more attractive

Buen Camino!
Thank you for your help and support

Buen Camino!!!
Suzanne
Hi I hope your Camino goes well. For various reasons I am now starting my walk from Castro Urdiales at the end of August. One quick question. I have my 'pilgrim passport' but how do I get my first stamp. As Castro Urdiales is a rather random starting point I am not clear how I 'sign in' as it were

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi I hope your Camino goes well. For various reasons I am now starting my walk from Castro Urdiales at the end of August. One quick question. I have my 'pilgrim passport' but how do I get my first stamp. As Castro Urdiales is a rather random starting point I am not clear how I 'sign in' as it were
Hi Bob, interestingly, my Camino will now start on August 29 in Irun, so you'll still be just ahead of me! You don't need to sign in, per see, you simply need to get your first stamp. That can happen at albergues, hostals, bars, visitor's centers. Maybe our paths will cross, even still! Buen Camino!

Hi Bob, interestingly, my Camino will now start on August 29 in Irun, so you'll still be just ahead of me! You don't need to sign in, per see, you simply need to get your first stamp. That can happen at albergues, hostals, bars, visitor's centers. Maybe our paths will cross, even still! Buen Camino!
Thank you for this. Buen Camino. As you say maybe our

Thank you for this. Buen Camino. As you say maybe our paths will cross. Was in Spain over Easter with my family there. Great to see a number of pilgrims and to wish them well

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.