• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning Camino trip from SJPdP end of April 2016 (3 months from now)

Lynne L.

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2016)
I plan to walk the Camino from Saint-Jean-Pied de Port at end of April 2016 (3 months from now). I am a middle age+ Canadian woman and will be walking alone. Would appreciate all the information anyone can provide on any topic including how to travel from Paris, the weather/temperature, clothing, what it's like for sleeping, what can I expect for washrooms, daily costs, food/meals, and also if there is any small group that might welcome an extra person walking nearby. Very independent so not looking for someone to look after me, would just like to have a contact for safety sake. Would appreciate hearing from you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Lynne, Welcome to the forum!

You'll find all the answers to your questions on this forum - just use the search box in the top right hand corner. For example, here's a recent thread about travelling to St Jean
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/arrive-in-madrid-or-paris.37860/#post-369136

And here's one about the average daily costs:
Daily costs https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/daily-budget.37741/#post-366984

There are all types of accommodation on the Camino Frances, from albergues (hostels with dorms) to luxury hotels and everything else in between. Albergues are very cheap and they are a great way to meet people. Some of us enjoy having own room after a few nights in an albergue - many places have inexpensive pensions, or private albergues that have a few single/double rooms as well as the dorms. There are all types of washrooms too. Do you have a specific question/concern about that aspect?

April is a very nice to walk - you should have company when you need. You are likely to meet people on your first day of walking. If you stay in places like Beilari in St Jean or at Orisson you will meet a group of people that you're likely to see again and again.

Do you have a guidebook? Many people use the John Brierley guide, but there are others too.

Buen Camino and enjoy the planning!

Nuala

Last edited:
Hi Lynne -
My group would gladly welcome you. We are a group of 5....50+ age women. (celebrating my big 5-0, the oldest in our group is 60.) Our group isn't planning to walk as a group the whole way, but are going to meet up at lunch stops and in the evenings and also to be there to look out for each other. We are walking from SJPdP and staying in Orisson the first night. We are starting at the end of April as well. I can PM (private message) you my personal email and contact info if you are interested....no pressure.

Buen Camino!
Margie (momof34man)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will be there end of April and am in the age group (63) and walking solo in the company of fellow pilgrims. A friendly face and a safe companion will be welcome for me as well. See you there.

I will be there end of April and am in the age group (63) and walking solo in the company of fellow pilgrims. A friendly face and a safe companion will be welcome for me as well. See you there.[/QUOTE

Hi Kathleen,
Thank you for your response.
This is the first time I have ever communicated via a website; am not tech-smart but do write emails. Do you have an email address? Would like to discuss more particulars, e.g., have you set a specific date to begin your walk? By the way, what country are you travelling from? Will you be travelling to Paris and from Paris to SJPdP? I have so much to learn in such a short time. We are in the same age group and it would be nice to at least have a contact person along the way. My husband cannot accompany me due to medical challenges. Hope I will hear from you.
Kind regards,
Lynne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Lynne -
My group would gladly welcome you. We are a group of 5....50+ age women. (celebrating my big 5-0, the oldest in our group is 60.) Our group isn't planning to walk as a group the whole way, but are going to meet up at lunch stops and in the evenings and also to be there to look out for each other. We are walking from SJPdP and staying in Orisson the first night. We are starting at the end of April as well. I can PM (private message) you my personal email and contact info if you are interested....no pressure.

Buen Camino!
Margie (momof34man)
Thank you for your response. I am not tech-smart. How does one PM??? Hope I will hear from you.
Kind regards,
Lynne

Hi Lynne, Welcome to the forum!

You'll find all the answers to your questions on this forum - just use the search box in the top right hand corner. For example, here's a recent thread about travelling to St Jean
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/arrive-in-madrid-or-paris.37860/#post-369136

And here's one about the average daily costs:
Daily costs https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/daily-budget.37741/#post-366984

There are all types of accommodation on the Camino Frances, from albergues (hostels with dorms) to luxury hotels and everything else in between. Albergues are very cheap and they are a great way to meet people. Some of us enjoy having own room after a few nights in an albergue - many places have inexpensive pensions, or private albergues that have a few single/double rooms as well as the dorms. There are all types of washrooms too. Do you have a specific question/concern about that aspect?

April is a very nice to walk - you should have company when you need. You are likely to meet people on your first day of walking. If you stay in places like Beilari in St Jean or at Orisson you will meet a group of people that you're likely to see again and again.

Do you have a guidebook? Many people use the John Brierley guide, but there are others too.

Buen Camino and enjoy the planning!

Nuala

Hello Nuala,
Thank you for this information. Very much appreciated.
I hope I learn how to work within this website, not tech-smart.
Regards,
Lynne

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
To use the PM (personal message) go to the "inbox" beside your forum name (under the masthead, top right of the webpage). Click on "inbox" and a dropdown menu appears - click on "start a conversation" and a dialogue box opens up. Or just open up the inbox and you will find a button "Start a New Conversation". Replies will appear in your inbox.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am continuing my Camino from Puente la Reina - I'll be staying there the night of 27th April, and happy to meet with you should you be there the same day.
I've only got 5 days, and don't walk great distances.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back