• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning for 2018, Random Questions

Tracying

Time of past OR future Camino
France, Le Puy (2018)
Hi all, I have been reading this forum since August last year when I spent a wonderful two weeks in Cahors and realised it was on a Camino route.
I had been thinking about a Camino for a while now and was very happy to discover the Le Puy route and that I could walk the Camino through my favourite parts of France.
I've read and read and reread through all the forum and it has been a great help in making decisions about what I want. I have just ordered the Miam Miam Dodo book to help with more planning.
I still have some questions, minor and not so minor.

So, firstly, I normally drink a lot of water, at least three litres on a regular day and more if walking. So first question is water easily accessible on the route. Obviously I don't want to have to carry that amount with me, I am happy to stop in a shop and buy some but here at home I prefer to use a filter bottle and fill up at a tap. Obviously this can be dome in a bar but what about along the route, experience has shown that most fountains display a "eau non potable" sign.
Secondly, and related to this, what goes in must come out. I need a bathroom about every hour...will there be enough places to stop. Or enough secluded areas if it has to be a wild call of nature.
These may seem trivial but to me are important.

Next question, I will be travelling along but have thought of taking our dog for company and some safety and because it is easier than getting a dog minder. I have read thoroughly the posts asking about dogs and the majority of answers say no for a number of reasons...

Its too far and too fast for the dog
Too many outdoor dogs in Spain make it dangerous for your dog
The Spanish don't like dogs
You won't find anywhere to stay

Well, the dog is a husky so very little is too far or too fast for her but I do keep her on a lead at all times.
I won't be in Spain and the French really love dogs and they get great treatment in cafes and bars.
I'm not a "communal living" person so plan on staying in Chambres d'hotes or small hotels. Experience has shown me that dogs are accepted in many hotels in France (I will of course check in advance before I go). I have stayed in a 5 star hotel in France and the room next to us had a giant St. Bernard staying and he has access to all the areas of the hotel including the dining room. And I say our dog is a husky but she is a very small one, smaller than a labrador, and she lives indoors.

I will be getting the ferry for Ireland to Roscoff and then a train to Le Puy....can I take a dog on the train. Or I can hire a car in Roscoff but not sure then about dropping it off in Le Puy.

Ideally I would hope to be travelling for 7-10 weeks but that will include a stop for a week to 10 days in Cahors where my family will be staying on holidays. I don't want to be walking in winter weather but at the same time don't want to be in the South of France walking in August. Would setting off from Le Puy beginning of May be OK weatherwise/

Thanks all

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
1. In addition to cafes, there are plenty of marked potable water faucets, but, last summer, there was a section where the faucets had signs warning that there had been a problem at the water treatment facility and the water was not potable at the moment. My wife and I each carried 2 liters; most of the time this was far more than we needed, but there were times when we were glad to have it. We know what dehydration can do to a person and think 2 kilos of water is weight well worth carrying.

2. You really don't need (and won't find) a bathroom ever hour. There are plenty of bushes and not that many pilgrims. Unfortunately, some women (and, no doubt, some men, although I really think women are, by far, the biggest offenders) leave behind used toilet paper. Do carry a plastic bag so you can carry it to the next trash container.

Many thanks, yes thanks to the forum I understand the toilet paper issue and promise not to be an offender.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi! In France when I walked I found that the most reliable place for water was cemeteries as they always had a fresh water tap. I met a lot of pilgrims in French cemeteries and they are everywhere. Also, unlike Spain, the church or chapels were often open and a good place to rest.

Bon Chemin!
Davey

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Miam Miam Dodo indicates which lodgings accept dogs (or donkeys, for that matter). I will take your word on your experiences with hotels accepting dogs; however most gites seemed to me to not accept dogs. Worth doing some detailed checks as you plan your itinerary.

I carried 2 liters of water; you won't find bars or shops. The cemetaries are a good bet and are marked in MMD. There is a device for campers and backpackers, that contains a water filter in a straw. Very compact and lightweight, if you want some additional peace of mind.

Thanks, great advice. Don't worry, I have no intentions of turning up looking for accommodation with a dog if I haven't checked ahead or pre booked and asked. And it is not definite she will be coming with me, I am just doing lots of thinking ahead and looking at options.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Weather wise going South to North would be more suitable, start in the sun and go north with the weather...but I think I wold feel silly doing that.

Hello,

About bathrooms, in addition to bushes and other natural shelters, you will find public toilets in most villages, and even along roads in Aveyron, a pilgrim-friendly département.

Having your dog in a train is allowed. Here are the rules http://www.sncf.com/fr/services/animaux

That is brilliant information, thank you all.
I will be in France for about 3 weeks in September and am hoping to spend about 4 days walking some of the route. But I will be dropped off each morning and collected each evening by my husband, we will be renting a house. Still I feel it will give me some idea about what to expect.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all. Well we have a house booked near Montcuq for 3 weeks in Sept and I am hoping to spend some of that time walking the route from Cahors....a practice walk. I am hoping to be dropped off early each day...walk and then meet husband for lunch, and repeat for a few days anyway. My head says I want to walk the Camino and this will give me a chance to see if my body agrees...do I actually want to walk each day...do I really want to spend that much time alone...can I actually find my way.
I have been doing some walking, cycling and swimming to try to improve my fitness a little and am now 10 kg lighter so less of me to carry around.
I completely understand that this will not be a "real Camino" experience, no communal sleeping, no backpack carrying, no rushing for showers or laundry and only a few days of it but as part of a plan for an adventure I am looking forward to it.
I have already read about problems on the route on the way into Montcuq...does anyone else have any other advice or suggestions for me or coffee lunch recommendations on this very short way.
Many thanks

Leaving on the ferry on Thursday and will be in Montcuq Sunday evening. I have the MMD book and have 5 days walking planned. Just not sure if darling husband will cooperate. And I won't walk if its too hot the first week, it takes me a while to adjust to the heat.

I'm here now and very much in holiday mode still, which means too much food and wine and lots of lazing around.
However I went for a short 3km walk yesterday and ended up doing about 500m on the GR65. According to the book the actual route is about 2.5km from me and as I headed out yesterday I came across a marker only 500m from our house. Coming into Montcuq there is a diversion (I don't know why) and this diversion runs through the woods beside me. Oh how happy I was yesterday to know I was on the route.
Darling husband isn't cooperating in my "drop off " scheme yet so this week I will do some short circular walks close to the house. There are a huge amount of trails here many criss crossing the GR65.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will do some short circular walks close to the house.
If you carry a daypack with your picnic lunch, you will be working in the direction of training for your longer walk on the GR 65. But you are now on a holiday in France - what can be wrong with that? Learning to be in the present is part of the pilgrim's journey too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back