• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning for August, 2016

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (16,'17,'18)
Finisterre/Muxia( '17, '18)
Portuguese Central & Coastal ('18)
Hola amigos. I’m Irene and this is my first post. I have lots of questions. Please tell me if I should repost them separately in different forums. A friend and I will be celebrating our 70th birthdays by hiking on the Camino. I am planning this walk as a coming of age journey and pilgrimage. I won't be walking the entire Camino Francés but will start it. I want to finish a complete Way to Santiago and am considering the Camino Ingles, after a few days with my friend. I would appreciate your feedback, suggestions and resources. I have from August 15 as a start until September 16 to finish and get to Madrid.

1. My friend and I will meet in London on August 15, making our way to SJPdP by August 17 for a reservation at Hotel Camou, near the start of the Camino. Is it possible to get to SJPdP in that time from London without flying and can you suggest transportation possibilities? I will try to make a reservation for Orrison on August 18.

2. I am considering walking a few days, maybe to Pamplona, and then part company, possibly to take a one-week language class, (any suggestions for short term language classes on the way?)

3. After the possible class or directly from the CF I may travel to Ferrol, to start the Camino Ingles. I want to take more than five days, and am trying to find out if there are accommodations besides albergues, in between the guidebook stages. Would there be pack transfer services if desired, if not on the five-day stage schedule? The only guide I’ve found is the 2014 updated download, Pilgrim Guide No. 7 The Camino Ingles, but I’m having a hard time trying to figure out the stages if I want to walk slower and stop more, from the guide or the Ingles forum. I want to walk about 10-12 miles per day. Is that realistic and where can I find more specific information? I would be walking solo and hope to connect with other pilgrims.

When I complete the Ingles, I may still have time for other adventures. We are grateful for any feedback and suggestions you can give us. Muchas gracias.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola amigos. I’m Irene and this is my first post. I have lots of questions. Please tell me if I should repost them separately in different forums. A friend and I will be celebrating our 70th birthdays by hiking on the Camino. I am planning this walk as a coming of age journey and pilgrimage. I won't be walking the entire Camino Francés but will start it. I want to finish a complete Way to Santiago and am considering the Camino Ingles, after a few days with my friend. I would appreciate your feedback, suggestions and resources. I have from August 15 as a start until September 16 to finish and get to Madrid.

1. My friend and I will meet in London on August 15, making our way to SJPdP by August 17 for a reservation at Hotel Camou, near the start of the Camino. Is it possible to get to SJPdP in that time from London without flying and can you suggest transportation possibilities? I will try to make a reservation for Orrison on August 18.

2. I am considering walking a few days, maybe to Pamplona, and then part company, possibly to take a one-week language class, (any suggestions for short term language classes on the way?)

3. After the possible class or directly from the CF I may travel to Ferrol, to start the Camino Ingles. I want to take more than five days, and am trying to find out if there are accommodations besides albergues, in between the guidebook stages. Would there be pack transfer services if desired, if not on the five-day stage schedule? The only guide I’ve found is the 2014 updated download, Pilgrim Guide No. 7 The Camino Ingles, but I’m having a hard time trying to figure out the stages if I want to walk slower and stop more, from the guide or the Ingles forum. I want to walk about 10-12 miles per day. Is that realistic and where can I find more specific information? I would be walking solo and hope to connect with other pilgrims.

When I complete the Ingles, I may still have time for other adventures. We are grateful for any feedback and suggestions you can give us. Muchas gracias.

Hi Irene,

Welcome to the Forum!

You certainly have some wonderful ways planned to help celebrate your 70th birthday !

To futher your research re point number 1 consider taking the Eurostar train from London to Paris and then on the French SNCF a fast TGV train from Paris to Bayonne connecting with a local TER train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

Re point 3 for the Camino Ingles see this on line Gronze guide in Spanish which lists all the villages on the CI and many accommodation possibilities in each village. Links to Booking.com are also included.

Happy planning and Buen camino to both of you!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Hi Irene,

Welcome to the Forum!

You certainly have some wonderful ways planned to help celebrate your 70th birthday !

To futher your research re point number 1 consider taking the Eurostar train from London to Paris and then a fast TGV train from Paris to Bayonne connecting with a local TER train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

Re point 3 for the Camino Ingles see this on line Gronze guide in Spanish which lists all the villages on the CI and many accommodation possibilities in each village. Links to Booking.com are also included.

Happy planning and Buen camino to both of you!

Margaret Meredith[/QUOTE

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you, Margaret. I really appreciate being able to fill in the blanks and move ahead in planning! Especially in getting to SJPDP. I'll check out the Gronze Guide, and might need some help in translation. A class to update my Spanish sounds better and better.

Oops! I'll have to get used to how eager this iPad is to finish a post. Buen Camino to you, Margaret. I'm in awe at how many you've walked. In my next life, I'll start a few decades earlier. :)

I hope that you find a great Spanish class in Pamplona. I took a 2 week class in Barcelona last year, geared to "mature" adults, and it was fantastic. I had a homestay with a great woman there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I hope that you find a great Spanish class in Pamplona. I took a 2 week class in Barcelona last year, geared to "mature" adults, and it was fantastic. I had a homestay with a great woman there.
Thanks again for more suggestions, Trecile. I can see that my plans are just that: ideas for the future that will be changed and reimagined over and over, as I research and eventually walk my first steps on the Camino. And then change again, I'm sure. Is this your first Camino and which Way will you be walking?

Your experience with the Barcelona Spanish class may work for me another year. I found that classes for mature learners are generally two weeks and that would work well at beginning of my journey. Maybe next time. Meanwhile I'm brushing up on my little used Spanish and hope to improve in next two months. I've found good resources on the forum and online. Also, I see why so many first-timers start on Camino Frances, as the info on accommodations and maps are, or seem to be, easier to access. If I continue my research and eventually start the Camino Ingles, it will be an even greater personal adventure. I'll ask the question soon, who might be walking the Ingles in late August and September. I hope to meet pilgrims along the way. Gracias y Buen Camino.

Thanks again for more suggestions, Trecile. I can see that my plans are just that: ideas for the future that will be changed and reimagined over and over, as I research and eventually walk my first steps on the Camino. And then change again, I'm sure. Is this your first Camino and which Way will you be walking?

Your experience with the Barcelona Spanish class may work for me another year. I found that classes for mature learners are generally two weeks and that would work well at beginning of my journey. Maybe next time. Meanwhile I'm brushing up on my little used Spanish and hope to improve in next two months. I've found good resources on the forum and online. Also, I see why so many first-timers start on Camino Frances, as the info on accommodations and maps are, or seem to be, easier to access. If I continue my research and eventually start the Camino Ingles, it will be an even greater personal adventure. I'll ask the question soon, who might be walking the Ingles in late August and September. I hope to meet pilgrims along the way. Gracias y Buen Camino.
This is my first Camino, and for the reasons that you stated, I will be walking the Camino Frances. I plan to continue onto Fisterra. I like the idea of walking all the way across an entire country. :)

For brushing up on your Spanish you may already be aware of Duolingo,which is a great tool. I have also found quite a few video resources, such as VideoEle.

Buen Camino to you!

~Terri

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.