• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning for CF, starting June 4

VMalone

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Camino Frances
Hello
I'm planning my first camino. I aim to start on June 4 and complete Camino Frances and on to Finnisterre and Muxia by July 10. I'm 62 years old and am/will be reasonably fit by start date.
I have some questions for which perhaps I can obtain answers please.
1. Is language/communication an issue? My O and A-level French and Spanish are in the distant past.
2. I'm due to arrive in Biarritz at 9am on June 4. Is there much to be gained by trying to get beyond SJPP by the end of day 1? The earliest train post my arrival from Bayonne to SJJJ seems to be 14.55.
3. Considering the dates of my arrival and departure, apart from SJPP, is there much need to book accommodation before arriving? I intend to use a combination of municipal and other/private albergues (depending on my mood/physical state!!)
4. In reading up, I seem to come across quite a lot of albergues with 'bed bugs'! Is this overstated?

Thank you very much for any responses/help given.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi VMalone - I'll be starting a couple weeks after you - I'm so excited! I'm looking forward to your language question being answered - not sure how much I need to brush up on my Spanish.

1. No. About half of pilgrims are non-Spanish. Having said that, learning some basic and useful phrases is always useful and will be well appreciated
2. Store your backpack in the "consigne" of Bayonne train station. You will have time enough for a pleasant stroll in old Bayonne, enjoy Basque gastronomy and catch your train to SJPP (the station is just 15 minutes from the cathedral)
3. June is already top season. I'd reserve my three first stages and then consider the situation. Reserving all your stages beforehand could seriously restrict your choices.
4. No personal experience, but If you have already decided to go to the Camino in summer, it will be with bedbugs as it will be. You can find in this forum many advices about how (more or less) avoid this nuisance. You see, nothing is free in this world. Sunny skies and nice weather come sometimes with a price.:(
You will do well -the generation of 1954/1955 was one of the best of last century and is incredibly resourceful!:D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello
I'm planning my first camino. I aim to start on June 4 and complete Camino Frances and on to Finnisterre and Muxia by July 10. I'm 62 years old and am/will be reasonably fit by start date.
1. Is language/communication an issue? My O and A-level French and Spanish are in the distant past.
2. I'm due to arrive in Biarritz at 9am on June 4. Is there much to be gained by trying to get beyond SJPP by the end of day 1? The earliest train post my arrival from Bayonne to SJJJ seems to be 14.55.
3. Considering the dates of my arrival and departure, apart from SJPP, is there much need to book accommodation before arriving? I intend to use a combination of municipal and other/private albergues (depending on my mood/physical state!!)
4. In reading up, I seem to come across quite a lot of albergues with 'bed bugs'! Is this overstated?

My advise would be get to SJPdP. day 1 . Consider sharing a Taxi from A
Hello

Hi V. At 62 you just miss out on the younger group!!!. If you can manage a Hola, Adios, Por favor and Gracias you 'll be fine. Your tread is in Cycling forum so I think its best to boo particuarly Hotels /Pensions. if theres a problem you can always cancel. Don't pay in advance. I have stayed in Bayonne first not great accomodation and pricey. Next time got the connection direct to SJPdP. and enjoyed the athmosphere. Cycling from Airport is also a nice option.
You might pick up one or two tips from my YouTube
Sorry thats another essential spanish phrase "Buen Camino" it's one you won't forget.

Folk,
Thank you to each and everyone for your responses. Looking forward to it.
As you say Felipe, 'it will be as it will be'
'Buen Camino' to all

I will probably cross paths with you as I will be starting around June 4. I land in Paris on June 2 (from USA). Then will take train to Bayonne and stay overnight, heading to SJPDP on June 3. Maybe stay the night there and hike to Orrison on the 4th. I plan to reserve a bed at Orisson for the 4th. Just want to take my time. Looking forward to meeting you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will probably cross paths with you as I will be starting around June 4. I land in Paris on June 2 (from USA). Then will take train to Bayonne and stay overnight, heading to SJPDP on June 3. Maybe stay the night there and hike to Orrison on the 4th. I plan to reserve a bed at Orisson for the 4th. Just want to take my time. Looking forward to meeting you!

Hi Jen,

I am a first-timer and will be doing a similar trip to yours--arriving in Paris on May 21, taking a train to Bayonne and staying overnight and then heading to SJPDP on May 22. (I've also reserved a bed at Orisson for the 23rd). I, too, want to take my time. I'm really nervous about this trip so thought I didn't want to have to rush anywhere!

Anyway, I was wondering about the train from Paris to Bayonne. I read somewhere, but I can't find it anymore, that it's best to go to the French version of the website voyages-sncf because the prices are better in French than in English. Do you or does anyone know if this is correct? and is that the correct website?

I also read somewhere it's cheaper to book train ticket in advance. Again, is this correct information?

Thank you and to anyone who can help.

Renee

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello

I too, am planning my first Camino. We may cross paths along the Way. I will arrive in Pamplona on the 5th and will begin walking from there to Santiago on the 6th. I plan to arrive in Santiago by the 10th as well. Buen Camino.

I too, am planning my first Camino. We may cross paths along the Way. I will arrive in Pamplona on the 5th and will begin walking from there to Santiago on the 6th. I plan to arrive in Santiago by the 10th as well. Buen Camino.
I will be arriving in Paris on June 2,then on to Bayonne. Bayonne to SJPDP on June 3. I begin the C.F. on June 4 staying at Orisson that night. Our paths will definitely cross.
Feeling anxious and excited at the same time! Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back