• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning for May 2021

Bradbeyer

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France's (2021)
Presently in the process of planning my trip, doing the Camino France's beginning May of 2021. One question I have is: Which city is best to fly into from Florida, U.S.A.? I am on a tight budget, and no doubt things are a bit uncertain right now, but any advice will be helpful. Many thanks!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My wife and I have walked the camino frances three times (2015, 2017, 2019). The first two we flew from Indianapolis, made a connecting flight in the US, then flew to Madrid. Last year we flew to Barcelona. In all three cases, we spent a night in Madrid/Barcelona, caught a train to Pamplona and spent the night there, then took a bus to St Jean. All three worked well for us. We were planning to hike this fall to avoid the Jubilee Year crowds in 2021, but the pandemic will cause us to reassess when we will walk the CF again.

I used to live in a small town near an airport that had maybe 15 or 20 flights a day so again small. I will give you 2 quick tips. First, especially given our worldwide situation and who knows when it will be under control I would book directly with an airline as opposed to some of the websites. You have far more protection booking directly. Secondly I would play with locations on where to fly. I would also check differing major cities to fly out of. When I lived in Oregon I have flown out of San Francisco, Denver, Seattle and Los Angeles for my overseas flight. Flying out of Los Angeles and Seattle afforded me much cheaper fares than San Francisco which was closest and Denver which was in the direction to Europe. I am talking about my complete itinerary. Medford to whatever my destination was. Different cities can have very different fares. You also need to add up the additional cost of secondary travel, flight, train or bus from the city you fly into and then having to get to Pamplona or Bayonne to get to St. Jean. Also if you have to or want to get over jet lag how many days and how much. There are some really good hostels in all major cities that will cost about 20E a night. Remember you do not have to book right away either. In fact I doubt that there are flights advertised for May 2021. Also who knows what flights are going to be good or if they will be changed and what the fares are going to be. It is a whole new world. I would wait before I booked. How long I have no idea now. Also this is just my opinion based on past experiences and gut feelings for the future. So take my booking advice with a grain of salt. Good luck.

Presently in the process of planning my trip, doing the Camino France's beginning May of 2021. One question I have is: Which city is best to fly into from Florida, U.S.A.? I am on a tight budget, and no doubt things are a bit uncertain right now, but any advice will be helpful. Many thanks!
I was planning to be on day 2 of my third Camino today, but I will wait until April 20, 2021 to start. I always fly into Charles de Gualle because I can catch the train to Bayonne in the airport.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
While it is still very early for booking airlines, my suggestion for travel from the USA:
1. Book a mid-week flight into Madrid.
2. Connect on the same ticket to Pamplona. (little or no additional cost)
3. Walk the 10km +/- distance from airport into the city.
4. Bus from the main station to SJDPP
You may need to stay overnight in Pamplona.

You will enjoy planning all the small details but be prepared to change during the journey.

have heard of pilgrims from the USA flying into Dublin and from there one can get a flight with Ryanair Tues Thurs and Saturdays to Biarritz in France. From there you can take a taxi to St. Jean Pied du Port . At the moment flights in Oct are about €50 but no more advanced flights are available yet.
the taxi company I,and many used is www. expressbourricot.com. they will pick you up right at the airport and bring you all the way. It was 2012 that I used them and I first booked a taxi with a willingness to share if possible, I did not know until the taxi arrived how many would be using it. It was a mini bus and it was exceptionally cheap. Caroline gives a tremendous service and over the years I have heard nothing but praise for them. Unfortunately now that I am in my middle 70's I dare not go over the Pyrenees again.

Unless you are super fit I would also advise you to book a night at Orrison. It breaks the journey over the mountains. I have never heard anyone regret staying at Orisson. Sometimes they are slow at answering bookings as they may be away on holiday during the winter. You get to meet people that you willbe meeting on and off right along the Camino. Buen Camino Lydia

I have flown into Madrid four times from the US. If you select a flight which arrives in early morning you can catch a bus for Pamplona at terminal T4 (your arrival terminal). The bus station in Pamplona is across the street from the Hostel Navarra which is a good place to stay. Overnight there and catch the bus to Roncesvalle the next afternoon. If you start from there you will have time that day to walk to Espinal. Or, you can go to St. Jean by shared taxi (telitaxi San Fermin) or by bus.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back