• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning For September-October 2015

Hi Josephina.
Why Aussies / Yanks?
El Camino is magic.
Let it surprise you.
Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'll be starting my first camino from SJPDP on September 10...I truly hope a few of us get to cross paths and share some stories and memories (and wine/beer perhaps?) Coming from Portland, Maine, USA

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thomas, I just returned from my second Camino (October 2104) and did it also in September / October 2012. It is a great time to walk. Though you might enjoy reading my blogs to get a sense of travelling during this time frame.

Dan
www.danscaminotravels.wordpress.com[/QUOTE]

Hi Dan,
This will be my first camino and I've decided to keep a Wordpress blog to stay in touch with friends and family...thank you for posting the link to yours as it's given me some great ideas for my blog.

Hi from Sydney - I will be spending two nights in Pamplona before starting my Camino from Logrono on 6th September. I will be walking with two of my brothers and one sister-in-law. Looking forward to meeting many of you on the way! Enjoy the anticipation!

Greetings All. Thanks to an impending 70th birthday, an incredibly supportive famly and a lifetime of travel, I am planning on a leisurely (38-40 days or so?) Camino Frances beginning in September 2015.

I would be very interested in finding and developing a small network (3-5) of similar pilgrims to plan, prepare and carry this out together. Using today's communications technology, we should be able to work together very easily as we prepare and plan.

International and cultural diversity encouraged. I live in the USA, Pacific Northwest.

Anyone out there looking at a September 2015 departure?
Thomas-what a wonderful thing to be doing to celebrate your birthday-I understand that you would like to link up with some other pilgrims but-don't plan too much -sometimes things/relationships /friendships just happen and develop and unfold as you go
You will never be alone and there is always someone to help just when you need them -I have just been volunteering in one of the albergueshaving walked the way 3 years ago-I witnessed a couple of situations that have prompted me to reply to you
One was a gentleman who organised to walk with some people -but hey turned out to be huge complainers and on the evening I met him he was in tears as they d all had an argument and he said we should never have been altogether I would have been just fine on my own
And the second case was a 76 year old lady who had set off alone but was gathering dear precious people around her as she walked and then she could decide for herself if she needed company or solitude
When you are miles away planning it all seems a bit daunting-wait til you get there-it's a joy waiting to unravel-the greatest gift is time -allow way longer than you think -that way you can enjoy whatever comes along and spend time appreciating it rather than thinking I can't stop I be got 25 km to do
I hope you have a wonderful time
Try stopping at serbal y la luna Albergue -just outside cacabellos -on the road ,in pieros-it's a gem of an Albergue -delicious food and warm atmosphere-you might want to ring ahead to secure a bottom bunk!
Much luck and

Buen camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My plans have been moved up slightly, though I have yet to purchase plane tickets. Will probably do so within the next day or two. So, I may be arriving in Paris the morning of Sept. 2. Correct me if I am wrong, but taking the train from CDG airport, it looks like the most practical option is to spend the night in Bayonne, then catch the early train to SJPP (Sept. 3). Then get into the frame of mind for the Camino, buy the odd items that were left behind due to airport security, sightsee in SJPP, rest up, and begin the Camino Frances on Sept. 4. Is there a more efficient way to get to SJPP from Paris? Bayonne looks like a pleasant enough interlude.

Planning for this trip, full of unknowns, is both exciting and daunting. I do hope to cross paths with many of you. You all seem very self-assured and calm. I have done a ton of research and have been training for quite a long stretch. Even so, just under the surface, I am terrified. As I have gotten older, I have become a very nervous traveler, so I felt doing a trip of this magnitude with so much left up to chance would be good for me. It would make me a better person in many ways. Now, I am a bit freaked out just in the logistics of getting from Paris to SJPP, as I travel alone in a country where I don't speak the language. One step at a time, I suppose.

... I am terrified. ...

Thousands, if not millions, before you have done this walk over the ages. Most of them survived to tell the tale ;-) Just use the less common of all senses, the common sense, and you will be fine! Buen Camino! SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My plans have been moved up slightly, though I have yet to purchase plane tickets. Will probably do so within the next day or two. So, I may be arriving in Paris the morning of Sept. 2. Correct me if I am wrong, but taking the train from CDG airport, it looks like the most practical option is to spend the night in Bayonne, then catch the early train to SJPP (Sept. 3). Then get into the frame of mind for the Camino, buy the odd items that were left behind due to airport security, sightsee in SJPP, rest up, and begin the Camino Frances on Sept. 4. Is there a more efficient way to get to SJPP from Paris? Bayonne looks like a pleasant enough interlude.
I'm stopping in Bayonne for a night too. That appealed to me more than a night in Paris, because I've been to Paris and love it dearly, but I'm not on a sightseeing trip this time. I wanted to stay focused on the Way. You'll be fine. Did you get a reservation for a place to stay in Bayonne? I have a reservation at the Hotel de la Gare, which is close to the train station and is inexpensive, certainly not fancy at all, by all appearances.

Singingheart, I have not made reservations yet. I was kind of thinking of just showing up and seeing how things look. But if I did, I was thinking of the Cote Basque. I like the look of the old building.

Thank you SY for the encouragement. It is still out of my comfort zone. But, I am feeling better, having expressed myself. Mooncat

Singingheart, I have not made reservations yet. I was kind of thinking of just showing up and seeing how things look. But if I did, I was thinking of the Cote Basque. I like the look of the old building.

Thank you SY for the encouragement. It is still out of my comfort zone. But, I am feeling better, having expressed myself. Mooncat
It sounds like you have all your bases covered. I'm a novice as you are, just trying to make decisions for myself, based on my research and my preferences and others recommendations. I think that's the best way to go. I like that you like the look of a building. I'd choose on that basis myself! We'll both be fine, I feel sure. I'm moving beyond my own comfort zone in so many ways too, but like you, I think I'll return a better person from it all. At least, I hope so. :) Buen Camino! Have you ever heard two more wonderful words?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Me (in my 30s) and my (then) 10 yr old daughter are targeting a Sep 7th start date from Astorga, or possibly Leon. Our plan is to go as slow as she is comfortable with, with me carrying the bulk of the gear. Her fitness is fabulous for her age, so as long as we don't push it too much, and we are flexible, then it should be fine. We are from Western Canada.
I too will be flying out from Canada (Toronto) on Sept. 2 arriving in Madrid on Sept. 3 with my dog Tess. We will be walking the Camino starting the walk at SJPP once we arrive there - with the dog I cannot travel by train or bus as she is above 10 kg. So I would love to meet up with people at Madrid airport on September 3 and share travel costs by either renting a car or whatever someone may have already arranged for that date. I think it is wonderful that you are doing this walk with your daughter and sharing this experience with her.. It will be a lifetime of memories for you both. If it is possible for us to network travel plans that would be great. I too traveled with my daughter for 4 1/2 months in 2001 and it was a life changing experience for us both. Don't let any one discourage you or put fear into you about traveling with your daughter. As a mom you'll use wisdom to keep you both safe. Hope we meet up. !!! Lynn & Tess.

I'll be starting my first camino from SJPDP on September 10...I truly hope a few of us get to cross paths and share some stories and memories (and wine/beer perhaps?) Coming from Portland, Maine, USA

Hey Anton:

I did 12 Km today......and NO BACK PAIN! I am taking mytraining slow because of my torn disc and am happy thinhs are going well. What is your actual start date again/

Greetings All. Thanks to an impending 70th birthday, an incredibly supportive famly and a lifetime of travel, I am planning on a leisurely (38-40 days or so?) Camino Frances beginning in September 2015.

I would be very interested in finding and developing a small network (3-5) of similar pilgrims to plan, prepare and carry this out together. Using today's communications technology, we should be able to work together very easily as we prepare and plan.

International and cultural diversity encouraged. I live in the USA, Pacific Northwest.

Anyone out there looking at a September 2015 departure?
Hi there. I plan to do the Camino starting 3rd September 2015. We fly to Bilbao and hope to get a shuttle to St Jean. Allowed
42 days as I have had lymphoma. Doing it with my spouse. From Cambridge, New Zealand

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I too will be flying out from Canada (Toronto) on Sept. 2 arriving in Madrid on Sept. 3 with my dog Tess. We will be walking the Camino starting the walk at SJPP once we arrive there - with the dog I cannot travel by train or bus as she is above 10 kg. So I would love to meet up with people at Madrid airport on September 3 and share travel costs by either renting a car or whatever someone may have already arranged for that date. I think it is wonderful that you are doing this walk with your daughter and sharing this experience with her.. It will be a lifetime of memories for you both. If it is possible for us to network travel plans that would be great. I too traveled with my daughter for 4 1/2 months in 2001 and it was a life changing experience for us both. Don't let any one discourage you or put fear into you about traveling with your daughter. As a mom you'll use wisdom to keep you both safe. Hope we meet up. !!! Lynn & Tess.

Walking with the daughter i fully support Lynn,
Walking with Tess i don't .
Seen too many bad sides of this trait over the years.

I am 100% booked and ready to go ( after some training). I am volunteering for Toronto's Pan Am Games and then will continue training before I depart.

I leave Toronto, Canada August 20 and arrive the 21st in Madrid. I will get to Pamplona, stay overnight on the 21st, and then head to SJPDP and arrive on the 22. I am overnighting there and I start my walk August 23, 2015! I am so happy and excited.

I have pre-booked reservations for August 21 (Pamplona), August 22 (SJPDP) , August 23 (Orisson), and finally on the 24th of August in Roncesvalles...after that i will go where I go and stay somewhere. I plan to finish and head home October 6th ( I am free to extend if need be). If your dates coincide close to mine, drop me a line. I am certain that we will all meet many people along the way and enjoy each relationship in its own way.

I hope to possibly see some of you along the way as I am taking my time, enjoying what the Camino offers me and throws at me.

Buen Camino my friends.

I am 100% booked and ready to go ( after some training). I am volunteering for Toronto's Pan Am Games and then will continue training before I depart.

I leave Toronto, Canada August 20 and arrive the 21st in Madrid. I will get to Pamplona, stay overnight on the 21st, and then head to SJPDP and arrive on the 22. I am overnighting there and I start my walk August 23, 2015! I am so happy and excited.

I have pre-booked reservations for August 21 (Pamplona), August 22 (SJPDP) , August 23 (Orisson), and finally on the 24th of August in Roncesvalles...after that i will go where I go and stay somewhere. I plan to finish and head home October 6th ( I am free to extend if need be). If your dates coincide close to mine, drop me a line. I am certain that we will all meet many people along the way and enjoy each relationship in its own way.

I hope to possibly see some of you along the way as I am taking my time, enjoying what the Camino offers me and throws at me.

Buen Camino my friends.

Buen Camino to you too Dan! I'll be almost a month behind you, I wish you well!

Sarah

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
ColinMay,

I have made my reservations to fly into Paris and my start date on the Camino Frances is also Sept. 3. Perhaps we will see each other. Very sorry to hear of your lymphoma. I have two events, both happy, that I must attend here in the States. One at the end of August and one in October, so will only have 33 maximum walking days. But, I refuse to be on a schedule, so if I don't finish this time, there will have to be a return trip. Looking forward to shared meals in the evenings along The Way with all of you. Mooncat

Hi Mooncat, hope it all works well for you but its not so bad going back. :) I'm making my third visit, I grant you its easier from the UK but once you have experienced the camino many are inexplicably drawn back! :eek:

Hi from Sydney - I will be spending two nights in Pamplona before starting my Camino from Logrono on 6th September. I will be walking with two of my brothers and one sister-in-law. Looking forward to meeting many of you on the way! Enjoy the anticipation!

Pax! I'm starting from Logrono, on that very same day, with Syl's amawalkers group! Our paths will doubtless cross at some point!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.