• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning for the Camino Frances

Cloirtheach

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm planning on going this spring (2014) or next spring (2015)
Hi-ya! I recently just watched the movie The Way with Martin Sheen and it got me thinking that I needed to walk the Camino. I know it's probably not going to be as nice as the movie and I'm prepared to get a lot of blisters. I have very little to no knowledge of the Camino, except that it's related St. James the Apostle and that the usual 1000km route starts in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Now because I barely know anything about The Way, I have several questions:
1. How long should I be planning for this? Is this something you can plan for two months and jump in or should I be planning my trip a year in advance?
2. Because I want to walk like a pilgrim I am looking for the cheapest way possible. How much a day (food and hostels) would it cost? I know a lot of people say around $30-$35 is comfortable living, but I feel like I could sacrifice a couple things and do it cheaper.
3. When's the best time to go? I know flights are cheaper in the winter and I would love to walk at that time, but are there many people walking during the winter?
4. Do you make Camino Companions quickly? I know individual prayer and reflection is important, but I also feel you need at least one person to share the experience with.
5. Where should I be flying in if I'm going to be starting in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port? I read somewhere that I should be arriving in Pau, but is there a closer airport?
I appreciate all your help and please feel free to share some of your experiences!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome to the forum!

I know you may not find this useful right now, but my main advice at this point would be to search through this forum and you can find the answers to your first few questions. Believe me, there will be plenty more while you start planning :) This forum is incredibly useful!

Happy planning!

Hello,

How excited you must be.

I fully agree with the above. All of your questions have been answered here several times over. When I did my first walk, I read forums (not as many in '04) and personal blogs for a couple of months before asking my first question.

If you do a simple search above on the "main page", you can type nearly ANYTHING you want and find all your answers to your questions. Even better, you will find answers to questions you never considered.

In all of your research, please remember it is your walk and you should do as you please. If it elevates your spirit and feeds your soul without impeding another, do it.

Last, once you get an idea of what time of year you will walk, scroll down to posts made during that time. It helps to read what others were thinking about during that period.

Wishing you all the best in "planning". You're on your Way.

Simeon

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, wow so many questions. Sounds just like me back in April 2012 when I first saw the movie, I knew instantly that I was to walk the Camino. I finally did Sept 3 - Oct 6 2013. I spent 34 days walking the 800K, SJPdP to Santiago.

1. It took me 1 1/2 years to start my journey only because I had to save money and vacation time. I met some pilgrims who decided just a few weeks before to take the journey. It all depends on the individual.

2. The cost for me was average 24 euro a day, 34 days, 800 euro total (does not include airfare/transportation). $33/$1100 This amount spent is one of the lowest you'll find. I stayed in alburgues, municipal and private. I ate what I wanted and never sacrificed anything. Life as a pilgrim is very simple and you realize you really don't require a lot to be happy. I rarely drink alcohol so this contributed to me spending less.

3. Weather wise Spring. Summer or Fall are ideal times to go. I've heard that Winter can be too harsh. The crowds are hit and miss and when to go is really a personal preference. Just remember though, that when you go it's the right time for you.

4. Yes, you will meet plenty of other pilgrims. If you stick together all the way to Santiago depends on personalities, walking pace, sick days, rest days, etc. It's hard to walk on when a friend needs to stay due to illness or injury but I witnessed plenty of pilgrim's having to make that choice.

5. This is a tough question to answer so I will just share with you what I did. Idaho to Paris, bus to Orly airport to catch flight to Biarritz, taxi to train station in Bayonne, train to SJPdP. Whew! This worked brilliantly for me, I was blessed that everything was on time and ran smoothly. There are so many different routes and suggestions. This will most likely be the hardest part of your trip, figuring out how to get to SJPdP.

Please, let me add that your Camino will be nicer than the movie, this I am sure of. Happy planning and God Bless.

1. If you: a) have the time, b) live in a large enough place that you can buy what supplies you need without having to order them online, and c) your body is ready to start walking 25-30 km a day, you could get on a plane the day after tomorrow. On a more practical level, three months should be plenty of time (and allow you time to savour the anticipation of the trip, which is a part of the experience not to be underestimated)

2. 25 Euros a day is very much at the low end of the spectrum. You can expect to average 8 Euros or so a day for a place to lie your head a night. Some nights you will be able to prepare your own meals, but not always. A typical pilgrim's menu for supper runs in 10 Euro range. Throw in breakfast and lunch and the budget is all gone.

3. You will hear a variety of opinions on when is the best time to go. Personally I like the Spring/Fall. In the summer, temperatures can reach into the 40's, and with no shade on many stretches, it can be very difficult if you are not used to extreme heat. Additionally, it is getting very crowded in the summer.

4. Things are pretty quiet in the winter (or so I have heard), but most of the year, meeting people won't be a problem. You may not end up walking with others that much (I didn't), but when you stop for lunch or at the end of the day, there will always be other people around if you are looking for them (and even when you aren't, a lot of the time)

5. The typical airport is Biarritz, which is just outside of Bayonne. From there it is a one hour train ride to SJPDP.

Like the others who responded, I would suggest taking some time to peruse the forums. There is a lot of information here.

I heard about the Camino in a book.... I went to spdp three weeks later and stared walking.... I went back again the next year and walked from Seville.
I planned almost nothing in hindsight ...... certainly compared to some I did not plan anything ...... we are not in control...... I have faith and feel life is full of wonder ... wonders were indeed given to me on the Camino...... maybe it was planned in a loving way.
I just turned up at spdp and started walking.......... I got out of bed well before sun rise ..... though of nothing ..... not even putting one foot in front of the other...... bread and tomatoes once the day has been well started......... an afternoon stroll ..... found a bed for the night have a shower changed clothes . ..... dos vino tintos ..... some wonderful little cakes maybe ...... another vino tinto......a little food .. bed around midnight..... and then after the bliss of a deep sleep I did it all over again ....... all with the grace of God...... In Chaa Allah.
Obviously there are many approaches to planning the Camino and mine is but one.......I did it this way.... it worked for me ..... I was blessed ..... wonders all the way along the Camino are unplanned ..... like life.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi-ya! I recently just watched the movie The Way with Martin Sheen and it got me thinking that I needed to walk the Camino. I know it's probably not going to be as nice as the movie and I'm prepared to get a lot of blisters. I have very little to no knowledge of the Camino, except that it's related St. James the Apostle and that the usual 1000km route starts in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Now because I barely know anything about The Way, I have several questions:
1. How long should I be planning for this? Is this something you can plan for two months and jump in or should I be planning my trip a year in advance?
2. Because I want to walk like a pilgrim I am looking for the cheapest way possible. How much a day (food and hostels) would it cost? I know a lot of people say around $30-$35 is comfortable living, but I feel like I could sacrifice a couple things and do it cheaper.
3. When's the best time to go? I know flights are cheaper in the winter and I would love to walk at that time, but are there many people walking during the winter?
4. Do you make Camino Companions quickly? I know individual prayer and reflection is important, but I also feel you need at least one person to share the experience with.
5. Where should I be flying in if I'm going to be starting in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port? I read somewhere that I should be arriving in Pau, but is there a closer airport?
I appreciate all your help and please feel free to share some of your experiences!

1. The planning and preparation consists of getting a guide suitable for a map recce; reading as much as you can so you have an idea of what to expect; getting the gear that you think you will need; getting documents in order (passport, travel insurance, pilgrim credencial); and determining travel plans. The longest is getting documents such as passport. The most difficult is determining where to start and how to get there (I've put a few useful links below).

2. I didn't keep accurate records. I went late October to mid December, finishing in Fisterra. My trip including single rooms at start and finish as well as travel to and from airports was about 35 euros per day. The 50 euro hotels blow the average. Don't forget the exchange rate. Winter means days are shorter and cooler. When you take a break you are more likely to want a hot drink and a hot sandwich ... which means you spend a bit more.

3. Best time to go is anytime you have enough time to walk it without time pressure.

4. I met several people on the road ... just like life ... they are part of your life until differences in travel plans cause things to move on.

5. The closest airport to SJPdP is Biarritz. (BIQ) There are discount airlines that fly there from London and Paris but not Madrid. On the other end at Santiago (SCQ) the discount flights are from London and Madrid but not Paris. Bayonne and Santiago are very well connected to the rest of Europe by train and bus networks. The best way from Bayonne to SJPdP is by TER Acquitane regional railroad.

Renfe is Spain's train.
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Spain's airports are operated by Aena.
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/aeropuertos/en/

Alsa is a major bus network in Spain with connections to Europe. Its not the only bus network. Usually best way to research is go to the bus station website in a particular city.
http://www.alsa.es/en/buy-and-schedules/international/?searchType=international

SNCF is France's train.
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

SNCF TER is a network of regional trains in France. The link is for TER Acquitane. The train from Bayonne to SJPdP is TER 62.
http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/Aquitaine/fr/Default.aspx

Biarritz Airport (BIQ)
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

Bayonne urban bus from BIQ to Gare Bayonne.
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

Paris Airports (CDG and ORY)
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/en-gb/passagers/home/

I'll be sure to check the forums for further research. Thanks for your responses and your help! :)

My wife and I flew Denver > Newark > Madrid. We took the bus from Terminal 4 of the Madrid airport to Pamplona, then another bus to SJPP. We actually spent the night in Pamplona to give us a little time to overcome the jet lag, then the next night in SJPP so we would have an early start on the Camino the following day.

We took rest days in Logroño and Leon, where we stayed in the small hotels called hostals (approximately 40 - 45€/night); otherwise we stayed in albergues. If meals were not available on the albergue, we had the pilgrims' menu at a nearby bar/cafe. Lunch was usually a bocadillo (sandwich) somewhere along our route for the day. Our typical expenses, per person, were approximately 8€ per night for an albergue, 2.50 - 3€ per day for breakfast, 4.50 - 5€ per day for lunch, and 8€ per day for the evening meal, which meant our average daily expense for food and lodging was around 25€ per day per person. Throw in another 3 - 4€ per day for snacks along the way (a piece of fruit and a Coke or cafe con leche), plus whatever you might spend for first aid, replenishment of toiletries, museums, etc. Note that prices go up as you near Santiago -- perhaps 10€ for an albergue and 10-12€ for a typical pilgrims' menu. When you reach Santiago, you'll probably want to buy at least a few gifts for friends and family back home, plus if you stay a few days in Santiago you'll probably want to stay in a better hotel or hostal, so budget for those expenses as well.

Buen Camino,
Jim

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You're right, it won't be as "good" as what you saw in the film. It will be better. Altjough there was some realism to it, Martin Sheen was followed by a film crew. What a pain in the patootie.
I walked/rode for supercheap. Often eating out of super markets and sticking to albergues. Although I did spend a few nights in hostals which is essentially an inexpensive, small hotel. Do it for your sanity. I also camped some when I was on my bike. And even tho I rode part of the way, I still went very slowly.
That would be my best advice. Go slow, take your time and if possible buy a one way ticket. Don't plan yoir trip down to the minute. Leave time open for reflection and sponteity.
Buen Camino

Hi, wow so many questions. Sounds just like me back in April 2012 when I first saw the movie, I knew instantly that I was to walk the Camino. I finally did Sept 3 - Oct 6 2013. I spent 34 days walking the 800K, SJPdP to Santiago.

1. It took me 1 1/2 years to start my journey only because I had to save money and vacation time. I met some pilgrims who decided just a few weeks before to take the journey. It all depends on the individual.

2. The cost for me was average 24 euro a day, 34 days, 800 euro total (does not include airfare/transportation). $33/$1100 This amount spent is one of the lowest you'll find. I stayed in alburgues, municipal and private. I ate what I wanted and never sacrificed anything. Life as a pilgrim is very simple and you realize you really don't require a lot to be happy. I rarely drink alcohol so this contributed to me spending less.

3. Weather wise Spring. Summer or Fall are ideal times to go. I've heard that Winter can be too harsh. The crowds are hit and miss and when to go is really a personal preference. Just remember though, that when you go it's the right time for you.

4. Yes, you will meet plenty of other pilgrims. If you stick together all the way to Santiago depends on personalities, walking pace, sick days, rest days, etc. It's hard to walk on when a friend needs to stay due to illness or injury but I witnessed plenty of pilgrim's having to make that choice.

5. This is a tough question to answer so I will just share with you what I did. Idaho to Paris, bus to Orly airport to catch flight to Biarritz, taxi to train station in Bayonne, train to SJPdP. Whew! This worked brilliantly for me, I was blessed that everything was on time and ran smoothly. There are so many different routes and suggestions. This will most likely be the hardest part of your trip, figuring out how to get to SJPdP.

Please, let me add that your Camino will be nicer than the movie, this I am sure of. Happy planning and God Bless.

Hi Tumbleweed,

I am considering a pilgrimage about the same time of year you did. From about 9/14 to about 10/17. Were your 34 days all walking days or did that include some rest/tourism days? If so how many?

I am estimating about 28 walking days with 4 or 5 rest/tourist days added on.

Any specific suggestions on where along the route would be the nicest to spend a day? Pamplona, Burgos, ... someplace particularly restful or interesting?

I have been studying the german language. I'm kind of hoping to tag along with a german group and enhance my language skills.

Did you calculate how much weight you carried? Pack included, I will probably end up carrying 25 pounds.

Any tidbits of advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance and God Bless,

Roger

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Pack included, I will probably end up carrying 25 pounds.

Roger

25 lbs? Be careful about what you pack, I started out at around 22-23 lbs, towards the end I shaved it down to 16 lbs with 1 liter of water, it may sound crazy, I started with an Osprey Exos 46L pack and it was too big, I'm looking at the Deuter AC Aera 30 for my next Camino and I will shave the weight down to 6KG (13.22lbs)
You'd be surprised with how little you need to carry, most anything you need to buy can be bought locally.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
25 lbs? Be careful about what you pack, I started out at around 22-23 lbs, towards the end I shaved it down to 16 lbs with 1 liter of water, it may sound crazy, I started with an Osprey Exos 46L pack and it was too big, I'm looking at the Deuter AC Aera 30 for my next Camino and I will shave the weight down to 6KG (13.22lbs)
You'd be surprised with how little you need to carry, most anything you need to buy can be bought locally.

I have heard many times that most things can be bought locally. However, I have also read the crowds can be tough so I am concerned about being prepared in that I want to be able to camp if I have to. I keep hearing about this "race for the bed" routine that goes on. I plan on a Sept/Oct trip. I have a Bug Out Gear pack that my son gave me a couple of years ago. It weighs about 5 lbs on its own. Add a sleeping bag, pad, clothes, water, small amount of food, rain gear, personals, etc .... I can see the weight adding up. But I totally understand the benefit of NOT hauling extra weight and I am listening.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to discuss this in more detail if you are okay with that.

Roger

Roger: When you arrive at the albergue in Roncesvalles you will find a big box for donations (not money). After walking through the Pyrenees for 1-2 days you, like many others, may decide that there are a few things you don't need to carry the remaining 700 plus kilometers. Yep, I made a donation myself .

Buen Camino

Roger: When you arrive at the albergue in Roncesvalles you will find a big box for donations (not money). After walking through the Pyrenees for 1-2 days you, like many others, may decide that there are a few things you don't need to carry the remaining 700 plus kilometers. Yep, I made a donation myself .

Buen Camino

Nothing much better than hard-earned knowledge. Would you mind sharing what were a few of the things you found to be unnecessary? Thanks. Roger

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Bajaracer, what is your proposed pack weight as a percentage of your body weight? And what season are you planning to walk in next?
Regards,

I'm over the 10% rule, I plan to walk again in Jun-Jul, after my first Camino I reassessed from my experience what I need to carry and even eliminated a few items I did not use at all. I know I can get it between 6-7kg, it just depends on how much you are willing to carry.

I have heard many times that most things can be bought locally. However, I have also read the crowds can be tough so I am concerned about being prepared in that I want to be able to camp if I have to. I keep hearing about this "race for the bed" routine that goes on. I plan on a Sept/Oct trip. I have a Bug Out Gear pack that my son gave me a couple of years ago. It weighs about 5 lbs on its own. Add a sleeping bag, pad, clothes, water, small amount of food, rain gear, personals, etc .... I can see the weight adding up. But I totally understand the benefit of NOT hauling extra weight and I am listening.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to discuss this in more detail if you are okay with that.

Roger

The "race for the bed" is for the cheaper accommodations such as the Municipal Albergues, Donativo Albergues, the "racers" are the ones who get up at 0400 and wake everybody up and walk like hell till 1200 and then wait hours for the cheaper accommodations to open, and then they spend the rest of the day sleeping and turn off the lights inside, they get pissed at you when you turn on the lights in the early evening when lights out is at 2200.
The Municipal and Donativo Albergues are not the only game in most towns, I stayed at a couple of Donativo Albergues and a few Municipal Albergues, for the most part, I stayed primarily at private albergues and never experienced not getting a bed nor did I have to call ahead.
Please feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Tumbleweed,

I am considering a pilgrimage about the same time of year you did. From about 9/14 to about 10/17. Were your 34 days all walking days or did that include some rest/tourism days? If so how many?

I am estimating about 28 walking days with 4 or 5 rest/tourist days added on.

Any specific suggestions on where along the route would be the nicest to spend a day? Pamplona, Burgos, ... someplace particularly restful or interesting?

I have been studying the german language. I'm kind of hoping to tag along with a german group and enhance my language skills.

Did you calculate how much weight you carried? Pack included, I will probably end up carrying 25 pounds.

Any tidbits of advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance and God Bless,

Roger

Hi Roger, I'm so excited for you and planning is such an important part of the journey.

My 34 days included 1 rest day and I took that in La Virgen Del Camino, just outside of Leon. I took this rest day only because my body told me to, always listen to your body. I didn't stay in any of the big cities except Burgos and that was only because I couldn't go any further that day. I wasn't too much into sightseeing so I'm not much help there. Although every city/town/village I stayed in I enjoyed immensely.

My pack weight was roughly 15 lbs. I had everything I needed. The only thing I purchased after I arrived was a larger bottle of shampoo and lotion/sunscreen. I had taken enough Advil / Advil PM and Nyquil gel caps (a must for when you start feeling a sore throat) I always take 2, get a good nights sleep, take 2 the next night if need be. Doing this gave me the advantage of not getting sick like a lot of other pilgrims did. They caught the Camino cough, pretty ugly.

Race for a bed? Even in Sept/Oct I guess it's true, however I always managed to get a bed and I stayed at mostly municipal and donation alburgues, once in a while a private alburgue. I didn't have a cell phone so never had the urge to call ahead for reservations somewhere else. I was usually on the trail by 6:30 am. Some days I would arrive by noon and others by 1:30 / 2:00, it all depended on how many kilometers the days journey was. There were a few days when my legs felt like lead and it took me forever to get to my destination. When I arrived around 3:30 / 4:00 there was still a bed or two. I think traveling "solo" makes it a bit easier as you're only looking for one bed, not 2, 3, 4 and so on. There were several occasions when the host would toss a mattress in a corner or at the top of the stairs or anywhere a mattress would fit to accommodate a pilgrim. Camping gear? Hmmmmmmmm, I wouldn't take it.

I'd be more than happy to answer any other questions in more detail. Please feel free to PM me. Just remember, what worked for me may not work for you.

Peace be with you and may the Lord guide your steps.

Last edited:
[1 ] How does one make God laugh?....Make plans for the future.
[2] Every person on the camino is a pilgrim....In the old days they were protected, given free meals and anyone who did not help was excommunicated.
[3] Whatever suits your time frame
[4] You pray silently when sitting in the back [ not front] of church .......is the camino similar ? ......your camino mate.
[5] Tumbleweed's answer is the most direct and cheapest if booked early.

The devils advocate has gone now Choirtheach;

Don't plan too much ....the best parties are never .....things will fall into place once you are comfortable with your time decided for departure.....you start your camino alone at the front door when you leave....and it will feel wonderful.
The longer.......longer...... the better.....take a few months to experience and have a holiday after.....why fly all that way and not experience what europe has to offer.
Allow 50 euros a day and you will have plenty left over.....if you find a friend/group you are comfortable with sometimes they will stay/request a "" Better "" place.....if that exists.
Have some $$ to cover all joys / problems that could arise ........including bandaids..lol
We have a desire to walk in the dead of winter ...and that has arisen because we have experienced the other " popular" times......with their problems .....just like winter.
If you have plenty of time i would suggest starting at least 3-4 days before STJPDP , thus no need for the stop at Orisson .

Take your time on this mate ...... when walking , with friends encountered and with the solitude you will experience.
It will be life changing...for the better...just let it happen.
Buen Camino ,
David

Thanks Dave. I have set my departure time for mid September. I'm allowing 35 walking days to to arrive at SDC. I've also included an additional 5 days for rest/tourism. Interesting how it come out to 40 days.

Yeah, I was figuring at least 35 to 40 euros a day. Tumbleweed advised me not to take any camping equipment, but I want to spend a few nights under the stars. I will bring a small bushbox stove, metal cup, spork and buy a few food items and camp a few times. But I would also like to spend a night or two in a nice hotel.

I would love to spend a few months there. But I still have a job. After I retire I may do an extended walk-about in Europe.

I was trying to micro plan quite a bit. But now I've decided to book my flights ... find my way to SJPDP, walk The Way then find my way to Madrid for my departure flight.

Thanks for the response and advice.

Roger

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The "race for the bed" is for the cheaper accommodations such as the Municipal Albergues, Donativo Albergues, the "racers" are the ones who get up at 0400 and wake everybody up and walk like hell till 1200 and then wait hours for the cheaper accommodations to open, and then they spend the rest of the day sleeping and turn off the lights inside, they get pissed at you when you turn on the lights in the early evening when lights out is at 2200.
The Municipal and Donativo Albergues are not the only game in most towns, I stayed at a couple of Donativo Albergues and a few Municipal Albergues, for the most part, I stayed primarily at private albergues and never experienced not getting a bed nor did I have to call ahead.
Please feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.
HA!!
I stayed in municipales and donativos, only 8 times in 40 days in privates (including my rest days in Estella, Burgos, and Leon), but you totally nailed the "race for the bed" experience!! I only called ahead once.

We never really got concerned with the "race for the bed" even after having problems in Zubiri. There were daypackers at the beginning of the Camino and when we got to Zubiri, there were NO beds to be had, nowhere, not hotels, hostels, nothing! We just got a taxi to Pamplona, had a nice hotel stay, and taxied back the next day to Zubiri and started walking again.

1. In some ways no amount of planning prepares you for the Camino. And sadly, I have seen some people in planning hell obsessing over every little detail. Buy a ticket, break in your boots, and go.

2. 30 to 35 Euros a day is realistic. However, if you really have faith and believe the Camino will provide, you can walk for little or no cost. Many accommodations are on a donation basis and some locals will feed you if you explain you are walking without money. That said, I wouldn't walk without money.

3. There is no way to predict when the best time to walk is because the weather is unpredictable. I wouldn't walk my first Camino in winter for several reasons. First, a light snow can obliterate the route makers. Second, many facilities are closed, thus drastically reducing your options on where you can stay and dictating how far you have to walk each day. Third, fewer pilgrims mean fewer people to help you out in times of need and fewer people to make friend with along the way.

4. Do you make friends quickly? Yes. And you don't have to walk with members of your "Camino Family." Your family simply chooses where to stay each night and each family member walks at their own pace. Thus, you can have time to yourself on the Camino while walking, but have companions each night for dinner.

5. Where should you arrive? It depends on where you are leaving and how adventurous you are. I preferred flying from Seattle to Paris and taking the train to SJPP. Other departure cities may dictate a different route.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm deciding between the end of April & the first week in May for my first full Camino. I did 120 miles last yr &loved it.
The forum certainly provides terrific opinions & knowledge regarding a host of queries. Keep up the good work.

Hi,
I'm walking the Camino on 9th April this year with my husband. I'm really excited and just want to say hi to everyone.
No questions as yet, just a lot of excitement and eagerness to trawl the posts on here for inspiration and info.
We'll be coming from the beautiful Isle of Skye so we have hills to practise on right here and all kinds of
interesting weather at the moment...ahem......
Grace

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back