• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning my Camino del Norte route

Yaron2311

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

I am arriving at Bilbao on the 20/09/2022 and have around 8-9 days of walking on the Camino Del Norte (My flight back is on 30/09/2022 from Bilbao). I'm thinking to do one of the following options:

A. Start from San Sebastian up to Santander and then take a bus/train to Bilbao.

B. Start from Bilbao up to Santillana del Mar (or Colombres) and from there go back by bus/train to Bilbao.
Which of the above options is more beautiful? In which of them I will meet more people on my way (I'm coming alone so it will be nice to meet other people along the way)?
Another question that I have is regarding booking the accommodation in advance. Is it necessary at the time when I am planning to walk the Camino or can I just decide each day for the night after? I'm asking since I would to have the flexibility to decide how long to walk every day. But on the other side, I don't want to get stuck without a place to stay for the night.

thanks in advance,
Yaron

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would take option A, its an absolutely beautiful part of the north route you don't want to miss it and I'm sure you will meet many people on the way, I'm not so sure about the accommodation situation, if you check the Gronze website they have a list of albergues and other places to stay. Others on this forum will be able to guide you, I hope you enjoy it!

I went from Bilbao to Santiago in September 2016. The Spanish & other Europeans are still taking holiday in September at the larger coastal towns, so you might want to book ahead on the weekends.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
With option A you can have your last evening until you reach Santander in the famous albuerge in Güemes that is run by the legendary Ernesto. Sometimes there are more than 100 pilgrims there. You would have steeper climbs in comparison to the other option, but the landscape is real nice there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have you been on a Camino before or is the Norte your first introduction?

Thank you all for your answer.
So it's my first time on the Camino. According to the answers above, I think that I will start from Irun and maybe I will skip 1-2 segments that are less beautiful.
Do you think that I can book the first 3-4 nights in advance and then book the places along the way according to my progress?

thanks,
Yaron

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I start from Irún August 23rd and accommodation is scarce, mainly because it's peak tourist season with a lot of tourists and visitors to the Region.

I barely managed to book up to Bilbao, but I'm sure it will ease by the time you arrive. Still, I'd book Irún and San Sebastian as a minimum to give yourself some breathing space.

I start from Irún August 23rd and accommodation is scarce, mainly because it's peak tourist season with a lot of tourists and visitors to the Region.

I barely managed to book up to Bilbao, but I'm sure it will ease by the time you arrive. Still, I'd book Irún and San Sebastian as a minimum to give yourself some breathing space.
It will probably start to ease up in September.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
thanks a lot.
By the way, do you know what is the best way to get from Bilbao airport to Irun?
I didn't see that there is a direct bus between them.

thanks a lot.
By the way, do you know what is the best way to get from Bilbao airport to Irun?
I didn't see that there is a direct bus between them.
I usually check Rom2Rio.com, and you're right, there doesn't appear to be a direct bus.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.