• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning my first Camino adventure - November?

JamiesonN

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk Camino Frances (2020)
Hello everyone. Very much enjoy reading about everyones' experiences and advice. A mate of mine and I have recently retired and are planning to do the Camino Frances next year. Deciding when to do the journey has been complicated a little by a thought of our wives flying over from Australia after we finish so we could do a tour together in Portugal or France. However, as my wife still teaches she is limited to school holidays. The idea has been suggested that we do our tour in the Aussie Christmas holidays which start in the second week of December, so if my friend and I are to spend say 5 - 6 weeks on our pilgrimage we would be leaving SJPDP late October or at the beginning of November. I've read varying views on what we might encounter at that time of the year, and I'm not so keen on the idea now. Having said that, we are happy with the idea of walking in cooler weather (which would be a nice change from the hot Aussie summer) and when there are less pilgrims on the track.
I'd very much appreciate any thoughts, encouragement or warnings from anyone who has travelled at that time of the year.
Looking forward to this challenge and the excitement of planning and preparing over the coming months.
Cheers and thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello everyone. Very much enjoy reading about everyones' experiences and advice. A mate of mine and I have recently retired and are planning to do the Camino Frances next year. Deciding when to do the journey has been complicated a little by a thought of our wives flying over from Australia after we finish so we could do a tour together in Portugal or France. However, as my wife still teaches she is limited to school holidays. The idea has been suggested that we do our tour in the Aussie Christmas holidays which start in the second week of December, so if my friend and I are to spend say 5 - 6 weeks on our pilgrimage we would be leaving SJPDP late October or at the beginning of November. I've read varying views on what we might encounter at that time of the year, and I'm not so keen on the idea now. Having said that, we are happy with the idea of walking in cooler weather (which would be a nice change from the hot Aussie summer) and when there are less pilgrims on the track.
I'd very much appreciate any thoughts, encouragement or warnings from anyone who has travelled at that time of the year.
Looking forward to this challenge and the excitement of planning and preparing over the coming months.
Cheers and thanks.

G’day there

In 2014 I did very much what you are contemplating. I left on Australia on 25 February, started walking from St J P de P on 28th at 10.30am lobbed into Santiago deC at 9 am on 26 March so it was a winter walk. I was aloneThere were very few pilgrims, but nice ones and a fair proportion seemed to be doing it in around 25 to 26 days. The weather was vile, snow, rain, sleet, hail and wind aside from 6 days of glorious sunshine through the Meseta. I thought it would be grossly unfair to my wife to have this glorious holiday while she was stranded at home so arranged for her and her sister to meet me five weeks later. I walked on to Fisterre/Muxia (the weather was even worse) but after that had four spare days in A Coruna before they caught up with me there. I really pushed it a bit through absolute terror of them both ( my long term married friends tell me such terror is the key to a successful marriage). Covering 900k in thirty days(I got badly lost several times) is not the best thing to try for a 69 year old 70 kg bloke starting out with a 16kg pack but there wasn’t too much suffering.

The seven weeks spent travelling around Spain with them was marvellous but it was much more traumatic and infinitely more expensive than the walk. Seeing my sister in law, a devout Salvationist, getting seriously stuck into the Sangria was a delight.

So go for it!

De colores

Bogong

You will not regret it!

You said you have read "varying reviews"? Have you read any account from a person walked in November regretted it?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked from Logrono to Leon the first three weeks in November last fall. The weather was great—warm and sunny—with some rain only in the last few days. I knew there would be few others walking, but there were very few walking, so it was lonelier than I had expected. Sometimes I was the only one in the albergue. The biggest stress for me was that although I had four different lists of open albergues in November, some albergues that were supposed to be open...were closed. Some small towns were totally shuttered up...even the bar was closed. Everything worked out and I always found a bed, but it was stressful.
Never say never, but I will again be walking most of November this year. My expectations will be more realistic, I will be walking a different part of the CF, and I am prepared to make reservations ahead of time.

Last edited:
Cheers and thanks.
As teachers in Australia we also had this time slot. Started first of December from SJPP and finished early January. The weather was beautiful, crisp but usually sunny. Enough people to have some great company but not busy until Sarria. Many albergues were winter options rather than the bigger ones open in summer. The only time we were stuck for meals were Christmas and New Years Day breakfasts. It was a great time to walk.
Doing it all again in four weeks time, but on my own this time . Go for it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked from Logrono to Leon the first three weeks in November last fall. The weather was great—warm and sunny—with some rain only in the last few days. I knew there would be few others walking, but there were very few walking, so it was lonelier than I had expected. Sometimes I was the only one in the albergue. The biggest stress for me was that although I had four different lists of open albergues in November, even albergues that were supposed to be open...were closed. Some small towns were totally shuttered up...even the bar was closed. Everything worked out and I always found a bed, but it was stressful.
Never say never, but I will again be walking most of November this year. My expectations will be more realistic, I will be walking a different part of the CF, and I am prepared to make reservations ahead of time.

It’s interesting all the different experiences people have. Reading the various posts on various matters can give an impression of all sorts of problems and contingencies, the need for extensive pre-planning, worry about booking or not to book accommodation, etc etc. i researched a lot beforehand and it almost scared the living daylights out of me.

It’s a few years now but when I arrived in St J pdeP in heavy rain with only one other pilgrim on the bus I should have twigged. The books said the Pilgrim Office is easy to find, just follow the hordes of other pilgrims from the railway station. Well there were none and we had a bit of a search.

I was given a list of albergues open and shut during winter. I carefully put it in a pouch under my singlet but it was pulped by the time I reached Roncesvalles- wet nearly every day thereafter courtesy of my Goretex rain jacket, my third one of this rubbish. In desperation I borrowed and copied another. Next lesson. It bore no resemblance to what the situation was on the ground.

Big lesson was all the stuff I read that scared me. It turned out not an arduous walk at all, just a long well-marked one on easy tracks, although there seemed to be a bit of a hill to climb every day, even through the Meseta. I had no problem with accommodation, and most, except for the major cities which apparently attract a lot of “pilgrim tourists” in the slack seasons were near or actually empty. Only problem was that in some small villages there was no food available.Also if you walk for more than a few hundred yards without seeing a yellow arrow you may be off track.

So basically chuck a few things in a pack, put on your boots and socks and head off, following the yellow arrows. Stop when you’ve had enough for the day and don’t be too concerned about setting targets. And, please, learn some Spanish before you go!

De colores

Bogong

G’day there

In 2014 I did very much what you are contemplating. I left on Australia on 25 February, started walking from St J P de P on 28th at 10.30am lobbed into Santiago deC at 9 am on 26 March so it was a winter walk. I was aloneThere were very few pilgrims, but nice ones and a fair proportion seemed to be doing it in around 25 to 26 days. The weather was vile, snow, rain, sleet, hail and wind aside from 6 days of glorious sunshine through the Meseta. I thought it would be grossly unfair to my wife to have this glorious holiday while she was stranded at home so arranged for her and her sister to meet me five weeks later. I walked on to Fisterre/Muxia (the weather was even worse) but after that had four spare days in A Coruna before they caught up with me there. I really pushed it a bit through absolute terror of them both ( my long term married friends tell me such terror is the key to a successful marriage). Covering 900k in thirty days(I got badly lost several times) is not the best thing to try for a 69 year old 70 kg bloke starting out with a 16kg pack but there wasn’t too much suffering.

The seven weeks spent travelling around Spain with them was marvellous but it was much more traumatic and infinitely more expensive than the walk. Seeing my sister in law, a devout Salvationist, getting seriously stuck into the Sangria was a delight.

So go for it!

De colores

Bogong
Bogong, thanks so much for your feedback. Sounds like you had quite an adventure. I'm surprised at the distance you said many were doing the walk in each day, 30kms plus! I certainly haven't thought (at 65yrs) that I'd set a pace like that. Did you not take any rest days and take time to explore some of the bigger cities on the way? I've been working on about a 6 week journey from SJPDP. Cheers

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You will not regret it!

You said you have read "varying reviews"? Have you read any account from a person walked in November regretted it?
I don't think I can recall anyone saying they regretted a November walk, I'm more thinking about what the experience might be like in the cooler, quieter months. In some ways I like the thought of a less crowded path, but wondering what the overall experience might be like.

I walked from Logrono to Leon the first three weeks in November last fall. The weather was great—warm and sunny—with some rain only in the last few days. I knew there would be few others walking, but there were very few walking, so it was lonelier than I had expected. Sometimes I was the only one in the albergue. The biggest stress for me was that although I had four different lists of open albergues in November, some albergues that were supposed to be open...were closed. Some small towns were totally shuttered up...even the bar was closed. Everything worked out and I always found a bed, but it was stressful.
Marylynn, thanks for your feedback. Interesting, given your experience, that you are up for another November walk this year. Hopefully not so stressful for you a second time around. I look forward to hearing how it goes. Cheers.

Six weeks is ideal. November should be no problem at all - if that is a convenient time for you, don't think anymore about it. Any time of year is great. Just be sure to take light layers, gloves, buff or hat, rain gear, and have a dry warm layer to wear in the evenings. Don't count on there being a lodging in a tiny village, even if the list says it is open, so ask others and confirm what your options are for the day or 2 ahead.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As teachers in Australia we also had this time slot. Started first of December from SJPP and finished early January. The weather was beautiful, crisp but usually sunny. Enough people to have some great company but not busy until Sarria. Many albergues were winter options rather than the bigger ones open in summer. The only time we were stuck for meals were Christmas and New Years Day breakfasts. It was a great time to walk.
Doing it all again in four weeks time, but on my own this time . Go for it.
Wow, that sounds like quite an experience - really was a winter walk! Look forward to hear how it goes again this year - so you can compare winter / summer experience! Cheers

Six weeks is ideal. November should be no problem at all - if that is a convenient time for you, don't think anymore about it. Any time of year is great. Just be sure to take light layers, gloves, buff or hat, rain gear, and have a dry warm layer to wear in the evenings. Don't count on there being a lodging in a tiny village, even if the list says it is open, so ask others and confirm what your options are for the day or 2 ahead.
C, thanks for your feedback. I'm feeling much more confident and enthusiastic about a November trek now that I've done more research and from the great responses here on the forum. Appreciate your advice. Cheers

G'day
I left 13 Nov 2017 SJPP and finished 17 December SdC. 33 days of walking. Walked with a mate of mine from Sydney, and families then joined us for Christmas. One of the best experiences of my life, and you will have a ball. Wasn't too cold for Aussies (10 degrees C most days - coldest minus 6 coming out of Burgos one morning). Very little rain or mud, about 5 days max. And not too much snow O'Cebreiro (but enough to look fantastic for Australians who don't normally see much of it - a real highlight). About 10-15 other pilgrims out there with us each day, but often we had the Camino Frances to ourselves. Never got stuck for Albergues open, and only once did we have to walk extra to the next one, about 5 kms. We made it with 8 kg packs each, and that was plenty of clothing and gear. A fantastic time to walk the Camino.....rug up and enjoy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
G'day
I left 13 Nov 2017 SJPP and finished 17 December SdC. 33 days of walking. Walked with a mate of mine from Sydney, and families then joined us for Christmas. One of the best experiences of my life, and you will have a ball. Wasn't too cold for Aussies (10 degrees C most days - coldest minus 6 coming out of Burgos one morning). Very little rain or mud, about 5 days max. And not too much snow O'Cebreiro (but enough to look fantastic for Australians who don't normally see much of it - a real highlight). About 10-15 other pilgrims out there with us each day, but often we had the Camino Frances to ourselves. Never got stuck for Albergues open, and only once did we have to walk extra to the next one, about 5 kms. We made it with 8 kg packs each, and that was plenty of clothing and gear. A fantastic time to walk the Camino.....rug up and enjoy.
Fantastic GaryAus, just what I was hoping to hear. We are keen to fit in with the school holidays over here, but was starting to worry that timing wouldn't work out. Where did you end up spending Christmas? We are thinking of heading down in to Portugal after the walk. Cheers

We flew from SdC to Piedmonte in Italy for Christmas. BTW the airport in Santiago is the best, most spacious airport terminal I’ve ever been to with virtually no people. Wait until you see it. Camino Portuguese next for me, March 2020.
Buen Camino

I started mid/late October. Reached Foncebadón on Hallowe'en. Snow covered and looked amazing. Many close by this time of year but plenty enough were still open. The municipals are always open.

I found I wasn't really carrying much extra weight because I was wearing most of it always.

Still got sunburn in October.

I walked with someone who walked the same time Oct/Nov their last time and thought it was best for them. There was a few too many places that had recently closed for me. I'm walking Mid September this year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bogong, thanks so much for your feedback. Sounds like you had quite an adventure. I'm surprised at the distance you said many were doing the walk in each day, 30kms plus! I certainly haven't thought (at 65yrs) that I'd set a pace like that. Did you not take any rest days and take time to explore some of the bigger cities on the way? I've been working on about a 6 week journey from SJPDP. Cheers
[/QUOTE

G'day,

Not much city stuff sadly. Basically I enjoy the countryside heading off well before dawn, watching glorious sunrises on the very few days the sun appeared, snow capped hilltops, the sound of birds, farmers out tilling for next season, occasional flocks of sheep, the real deal. Next time, if there is one (my wife is crook) I'll do a lot more cultural stuff. Stay in the Hostal Burguette (I'm a Hemingway fan), a lot more time just moseying along, Pamplona, Burgos( where zI did spend half a day) a bit more time with some of the lovely people I met in family- run albergues)
And so on.

De Colores

Bogong

I guess having done your research you may be walking a part of the Camino that maybe has more accommodation open at this time of the year. Which parts will you walk - from where to where and how will you start - ie fly in to? just looking for ideas.

Hi! I was planning Camino Frances first week of November and I am a little bit worried about the weather, but you say everything was ok, not so cold or rainy? Also about albergues, they were not all open? Now I'm reconsidering my idea, but that's the only part of the year I can go. What do you say, is it worth it, without so many people around and streessing about albergues? Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My first Camino was in a November. Obviously the weather is likely to be colder and wetter than in summer - but it was a great experience.

There will be fewer albergues open - because there will be fewer peregrinos.

I think it will still feel sufficiently busy.

I have only ever walked from October to March. Outside that period the heat and crowds would bee too much for me.

Hi! I was planning Camino Frances first week of November and I am a little bit worried about the weather, but you say everything was ok, not so cold or rainy? Also about albergues, they were not all open? Now I'm reconsidering my idea, but that's the only part of the year I can go. What do you say, is it worth it, without so many people around and streessing about albergues? Thank you!
Hi
I will walk Camino Frances in November too. I am planning to start the first or the second week.
If you want we could share ideas and opinions of the route and other things.
I am totally new on this route so.
Have fun!

I guess having done your research you may be walking a part of the Camino that maybe has more accommodation open at this time of the year. Which parts will you walk - from where to where and how will you start - ie fly in to? just looking for ideas.
Sorry, I missed your post earlier! I leave next week, Sept.24, and will meet up with my sister in Madrid, then we will take a train to Burgos and walk to Leon or Astorga, in a little more than a week. She will return to Madrid and home, and I will take a train to Logrono, then walk four days to Granon where I will be a hospitalera from Oct.15-31. On Nov. 1 I will meet up with a Camino 2014 friend and...??? not sure where we will walk...I would like to avoid elevations due to the possibility of snow, but I will take my snow/ice boot grippers, just in case. We will still face the possibility of closed albergues, but walking with a friend lessens the stress and uncertainty...and he speaks Spanish! Although I had said ‘never again in November,’ I am looking forward to it - the weather last year was good until the last week in November. I will return home on the 25th so I might miss the late November rain.
I think one’s expectations (or lack thereof) is the key to a successful and happy journey. I feel better prepared this year for whatever comes my way in November. I will again take a copy of the albergues open in the winter (available on the Forum sometime soon), but will be prepared for unannounced closures, as I experienced last year.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back