• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning my next Camino and doubting about sleeping in albergues

Yellowfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto- Santiago / Fisterra- Muxia sept 2016
SJPP- Santiago may 2017planninh
hi,
I just finished the Camino portugues as a luxury pilgrim :rolleyes:I walked alone but hotels were booked and my luggage was send. Now I want to travel with my luggage because I think that it Will give me more freedom where and when to stop. but sleeping in albergues is something where I am not sure off because of all the noise. But I like to meet people and talk to them. That was so nice on the Camino. Should it also be possible to book little hotels or private rooms on my way instead of sleeping in bulkbeds? And where can I find these places? I Will download the app from Amazon, is that enough? Or can I use a guide? Are there more people who are doing it this way? Or is it actually 'notdone'... I think I Will start at SJPP.
I plan to go begin may.
Thank you

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
hi,
I just finished the Camino portugues as a luxury pilgrim :rolleyes:I walked alone but hotels were booked and my luggage was send. Now I want to travel with my luggage because I think that it Will give me more freedom where and when to stop. but sleeping in albergues is something where I am not sure off because of all the noise. But I like to meet people and talk to them. That was so nice on the Camino. Should it also be possible to book little hotels or private rooms on my way instead of sleeping in bulkbeds? And where can I find these places? I Will download the app from Amazon, is that enough? Or can I use a guide? Are there more people who are doing it this way? Or is it actually 'notdone'... I think I Will start at SJPP.
I plan to go begin may.
Thank you
I think your last Camino sounds lovely. There are lots of websites, one is gronze, that lists albergues, pensions, etc and if they have private rooms. for example http://www.gronze.com/etapa/zubiri/pamplona . another is http://www.consumer.es/ everyone has a favorite. Many people book private rooms in albergues so they get the best of both worlds. Usually they book at most one day ahead, or the day of, to allow for flexibility. Some people just walk in and ask if a private room is available.
if you find a place you like on some booking website, you may want to try contacting them directly--you may save them the fee the booking site charges and they may give you a better deal. Also, I used the CSJ.org guide and it often had pensions listed in addition to albergues.
Buen Camino

Most of us actually sleep in albergues and after having walked 20-25km also quite soundly ;-) Just try it out for a few nights and if you still don't like it - you always can book more private accommodation - nothing is set in stone in the end. Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did a combination of bunk-bed Albergues, inexpensive Hostals, and a few real hotels. Dinner among fellow pilgrims in a Albergue is much more of multi-cultural bonding experience that is part of the Camino. Still there were lots of little village square restaurants, where if you were brave enough to talk to obviously fellow pilgrims, a good time was held by all.

If I were to do it again, I would tend to stay as small Albergues where there was a communal meal for dinner.

I think your last Camino sounds lovely. There are lots of websites, one is gronze, that lists albergues, pensions, etc and if they have private rooms. for example http://www.gronze.com/etapa/zubiri/pamplona . another is http://www.consumer.es/ everyone has a favorite. Many people book private rooms in albergues so they get the best of both worlds. Usually they book at most one day ahead, or the day of, to allow for flexibility. Some people just walk in and ask if a private room is available.
if you find a place you like on some booking website, you may want to try contacting them directly--you may save them the fee the booking site charges and they may give you a better deal. Also, I used the CSJ.org guide and it often had pensions listed in addition to albergues.
Buen Camino
Thank you!

Most of us actually sleep in albergues and after having walked 20-25km also quite soundly ;-) Just try it out for a few nights and if you still don't like it - you always can book more private accommodation - nothing is set in stone in the end. Buen Camino, SY
Thank you! I just orderd your book and am Reading it :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
hi,
I plan to go begin may.
Thank you

You can book as you go, stay at albergues when you want. The bunkbeds worked fine for us, but I know they're not for everyone. -- If you liked meeting people you may find you really like the albergues with a kitchen; often people share meals. I remember one day (the day we walked 32 km), we made too much pasta in cream sauce with leeks, ham, and mushrooms, and I served dinner to the next four pilgrims who came in the door. One woman was so happy and tired and hungry-- I was so glad to sit with her and talk.

Except on two occasions, I slept in albergues. With a good pair of earplugs, I barely heard anything. I was also so zonked out that I did not even hear my bunk neighbours make noise in the mornings. Until I figured out how to set my phone alarm to vibrate, I often woke up after everyone had left :eek: not having heard them at all. :p

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Having stayed in albergues on several caminos I now book a place to sleep. I have always carried my backpack, but I prefer to sleep alone. I never got earplugs to work for me and because of health problems I might have to put on light during the night and may disturb others. I have seen that it is less social, but I do not go to the camino to get a family to stay with. I like to walk alone and relax from family life that fill up most of the year.
Some times I book before I go to the camino, I know how far I want to walk and where I want to stay. But I have also booked day to day without any trouble, may be before the rush began.
Starting out on a short walk from Logroño to Leon in some days, and having booked my sleepingplaces, I surely hope this 68 year old woman can manage the stages I have prepared.
If I am a peregrino or not I do not reflect so much upon. Íf you do not want to stay in albergues there are a lot of other places to stay and small local businesses to support.

I alway carry my own pack because I love the freedom. I stick as close to 10% of my body weight as possible. It definitely has it benefits on some days. On my last Camino my fellow pilgrims who didn't carry their own pack arrived at O'Cerberio much earlier than me but were a little dismayed when after a long hot climb their bags didn't arrive until the late afternoon.

Why not do both? Try some albergues, maybe alternate with an inn or hostel, depending on where you are, what you feel like, and what's available.

We walked SJPP to Burgos last year and stayed in all private accomodations, but I plan to mix it up a bit when I head out again next spring. We mostly used gronze.com and it was all very easy. The site has contact information and website links for the places that have them. We called the day before for reservations, but my impression was that in most places it would not have been a problem to be a walk-in. That could vary by time of year, town, etc., though.

In many towns there were a variety of price ranges. The smaller places in the smaller towns seemed very pilgrim oriented, and it was surprising how quickly we started seeing the same people from the night before.

Lots of options for you. Stay flexible and enjoy!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I tried Albergues for 20 nights and eventually hated them - it's not the noise but the smells the personal habits the hogging the one only toilet for 20 minutes the strange 'gloop' the blocked drains in showers the people getting up at 4am to start walking the trying to get clothes dry plus so much more that is very wearing .... I then started booking private rooms and my Camino was transformed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you!
How did you book your rooms?

Thank you!
How did you book your rooms?
Via email direct or via a website both of which contact details I'd access via gronze.com (it's in Spanish but very easy to understand/guess and navigate if like me you're non Spanish speaking. I'd look at gronze.com first then click on each auberge to see if there were private rooms if not I'd scroll down to the hostels and check out each one, some have booking.com links. A few times I'd send a message via the hostel website .... English worked ok if you're really clear i.e. date of night of stay on one line then next line number of beds then next line number of rooms then next line names of people staying then next line estimated time of arrival then last line mobile number. This worked every time and I usually got a reply within 12 hours often just an hour. Good luck.

hi,
I plan to go begin may.
Thank you
I cannot understand and/or think of another way to do this other than "just walk, follow the yellow arrows and find Albergues to share with fellow pilgrims..."

Just walk with your heart open, and follow the yellow arrows... Don't mind too much about anything else (ok... maybe the bed bugs once in a while)... And everything will turn out just fine!

Sleeping in ALbergues, with others, with all that noise and energy is (IMHO) a good part of what makes the Camino, The Camino... Even with the annoyance that comes with it ( Snorers, etc!).

But in a way, that just mimics pitfalls we face in our own lives...

Buen CAmino and please, once you do it again the way you are feeling like to do ( sleeping in albergues, carrying your own stuff, etc) , do let us know what are your thoughts about this new experience!

Good luck!

Ultreia
:rolleyes:;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I cannot understand and/or think of another way to do this other than "just walk, follow the yellow arrows and find Albergues to share with fellow pilgrims..."

Just walk with your heart open, and follow the yellow arrows... Don't mind too much about anything else (ok... maybe the bed bugs once in a while)... And everything will turn out just fine!

Sleeping in ALbergues, with others, with all that noise and energy is (IMHO) a good part of what makes the Camino, The Camino... Even with the annoyance that comes with it ( Snorers, etc!).

Buen CAmino and please, once you do it again the way you are feeling like to do ( sleeping in albergues, carrying your own stuff, etc) , do let us know what are your thoughts about this new experience!

Good luck!

Ultreia
I began my Camino thinking just as you advise to walk to follow arrows and to simply arrive and take a bed as it presented itself-however it didn't work for me at all and also I suspect will not work for others. Privacy and personal space became very important to me- much as many pilgrims find walking alone to be important. Once I decided to let go of the idea that Albergues in terms of sharing sleeping space with up to 40 others was an integral part of the Camino I was able to decide what I needed to achieve a sense of well being and peacefulness. If I do return to complete my Camino from Leon-I would aim to camp in a tent or use private rooms. (I would however recommend Auberge Beluze which was like staying in the house of a good friend).

The last thing I would do is to tell you HOW you should walk YOUR Camino. There is no such thing as "not done" when it comes to walking YOUR Camino.

While many pilgrims use albergues a lot of pilgrims also use the smaller inns, hostels, and hotels along the Camino. It is not a coincidence there has been an incredible surge of those along the various Caminos in the last 15-20 years.

Using online booking options (almost every town and village along the Camino has a place with some manner of internet service), or bring a list with phones, or simply show up. In the bigger towns I just showed up; you will be amazed the great resource that Offices of Tourism are as well as the local bars always have info on local lodging possibilities.

I have done a combination of caminos (walked the Camino every year from 2011-2014); albergues, smaller inns, hostals, hotels. If I can avoid sleeping in a room with other people, I definitely will. I had plenty wonderful company on the trail, plenty meals with pilgrims, group sightseeing, etc....I did extremely well interacting with other pilgrims without having to sleep in a dormitory with others.

Hi Yellowfriend!
What you do is exactly what YOU want to do, and feels right for YOU :).
My first camino was totally albergue. My last camino was totally small hotels. You can tread all the diaries on the web site.
You don't need to book in advance! Just turn up at reception: if they're full, they often phone around for you to find a bed.
Just relax: "go with the flow": by not booking ahead, you're not committed to reaching a certain point by a certain time which equals more freedom.
I have reached that certain age when I need the toilet a couple of times at night. No way could I sleep in a bunk bed on the top!
Some albergues do have private, single rooms. Always worth asking.
But, ultimately, you do what you enjoy most.
Blessings from England.....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Good luck!

Ultreia
Thank you! I Will let you know, can't wait to be back on the Camino....

I began my Camino thinking just as you advise to walk to follow arrows and to simply arrive and take a bed as it presented itself-however it didn't work for me at all and also I suspect will not work for others. Privacy and personal space became very important to me- much as many pilgrims find walking alone to be important. Once I decided to let go of the idea that Albergues in terms of sharing sleeping space with up to 40 others was an integral part of the Camino I was able to decide what I needed to achieve a sense of well being and peacefulness. If I do return to complete my Camino from Leon-I would aim to camp in a tent or use private rooms. (I would however recommend Auberge Beluze which was like staying in the house of a good friend).
Thank you! For me the personal space and time to be alone , because of all the impressions of the day to get Some quiteness inside in my mind also like you....I Will see how I am doing it the next time.
Buen Camino!

The last thing I would do is to tell you HOW you should walk YOUR Camino. There is no such thing as "not done" when it comes to walking YOUR Camino.

While many pilgrims use albergues a lot of pilgrims also use the smaller inns, hostels, and hotels along the Camino. It is not a coincidence there has been an incredible surge of those along the various Caminos in the last 15-20 years.

Using online booking options (almost every town and village along the Camino has a place with some manner of internet service), or bring a list with phones, or simply show up. In the bigger towns I just showed up; you will be amazed the great resource that Offices of Tourism are as well as the local bars always have info on local lodging possibilities.

I have done a combination of caminos (walked the Camino every year from 2011-2014); albergues, smaller inns, hostals, hotels. If I can avoid sleeping in a room with other people, I definitely will. I had plenty wonderful company on the trail, plenty meals with pilgrims, group sightseeing, etc....I did extremely well interacting with other pilgrims without having to sleep in a dormitory with others.
Thank you! For me it felt the same on my last Camino. I liked the quiteness in my hotel after talking and eating with so many nice people.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Yellowfriend!
What you do is exactly what YOU want to do, and feels right for YOU :).
My first camino was totally albergue. My last camino was totally small hotels. You can tread all the diaries on the web site.
You don't need to book in advance! Just turn up at reception: if they're full, they often phone around for you to find a bed.
Just relax: "go with the flow": by not booking ahead, you're not committed to reaching a certain point by a certain time which equals more freedom.
I have reached that certain age when I need the toilet a couple of times at night. No way could I sleep in a bunk bed on the top!
Some albergues do have private, single rooms. Always worth asking.
But, ultimately, you do what you enjoy most.
Blessings from England.....
Thank you for your nice words :) maybe we Will meet on the Camino that would be nice :)

hi,
I plan to go begin may.
Thank you
Hi.
My husband and I just finished days - all the time off we could do this year - from SJPP to Logrono. We stayed in hotels/private alburges and pre-booked but carries our backpacks. However,the pre-booking wasn't really necessary. It was easy to call ahead the day before or same day and get a place. We used John Brierley's book which has great information with the phone numbers.

We also stayed at Orisson - which is necessary to pre-book. We made alot of great connections there and met up with these people for breakfasts, lunches and dinners. So we had the joy of socializing but had privacy at night.

Just finished walking from SJPDP to Finisterre. Must have not been very observant as it took me quite a while before I realized how many people I walked with were sleeping in the fields because they could not afford the Albergues. Started paying for a bunk and the Pilgrim meal for those who really appreciated a bunk bed and a hot shower once a week. Very humbling to walk with these people. But it makes you feel good to buy supper for someone who cleans every morsel of food or oil off their plate with pieces of bread--they really don't eat everyday because they can not afford it.

One woman who slept in the fields told me that IF she ever hits the lottery, she will spend her money to walk the Camino Frances and stay in an albergue EVERY night. Bought her a top bunk for a night.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I found that the albergues had people from different nationalities, and all different walks of life. In many ways, it they are a great equalizer of classes and professions. At hotels, and inns, everyone has a bit of money to rely on. (Some have more than a bit.) At the albergues, the conversation was often on what people had seen that day, the weather, a cautious "why are you walking the Camino?", and what's for dinner. We all wear similar clothes, we don't have cars to judge one another by. --- I was two days at an albergue once (taking a break because of my feet), when a man I had shared dinner with the evening before offered to look at my infected blisters. I laughed him off as my feet were pretty ugly, but he then explained he was a doctor. I had had no idea, and we had talked for hours. Our professions never came up.

I found that the albergues had people from different nationalities, and all different walks of life. In many ways, it they are a great equalizer of classes and professions. At hotels, and inns, everyone has a bit of money to rely on. (Some have more than a bit.) At the albergues, the conversation was often on what people had seen that day, the weather, a cautious "why are you walking the Camino?", and what's for dinner. We all wear similar clothes, we don't have cars to judge one another by. --- I was two days at an albergue once (taking a break because of my feet), when a man I had shared dinner with the evening before offered to look at my infected blisters. I laughed him off as my feet were pretty ugly, but he then explained he was a doctor. I had had no idea, and we had talked for hours. Our professions never came up.

You're right, the camino is a leveller, I was asked several times what I used to do for a living (this question is my pet hate) and never managed to tell anyone.
Everyone should do the camino as they want to, if sleeping g in private rooms is for you, then go for it. You are no less of a pilgrim because you like privacy, but what must be remembered is that not everyone can afford to travel the camino this way. I was lucky I had a choice, one my rest days I stayed for one night in a hotel with fluffy towels and when walking stayed in the Albergues, most Municipal.
Pilgrims should do whatever suits them.

There's lots of good advice from many folks posted here. You can often use booking.com to book accommodations on the Frances. There are so many options on the route, a huge infrastructure that it's near impossible to go wrong. I agree, the albergues can wear a bit thin after a time, but I typically use them together with small hostels and cheap hotels tossed in to have a break. Booking a couple of days ahead seems to work well, but keep in mind that May and September are the two busiest months out of SJPDP. I was just thiere yesterday after walking in from Le Puy and a wonderful volunteer showed me all the current data. Much higher numbers than in 2015 which was also very busy. The April and late September numbers are lower and there were quite a few peregrinos preparing to depart to Roncevalles yesterday. Today a gorgeous sunny day to cross the Pyrennes! Have fun planning your journey. Have you considered the Le Puy route to SJPDP? Less traveled and very beautiful...better food too! Alternative might be the Sabreses Camino from Zamora to Santiago, also extremely beautiful if you feel that you need to walk into Santiago again. The Frances is getting pretty full these days and there are extremely good alternatives out there with sufficient pilgrims for company and safety. Have fun with your planning!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm one for whom this is a dilemma. I love being with other pilgrims, and think it enriches the camino, but in the end, I need my private place, and on my second camino, I much more often slept in a private room. There are albergues that offer private rooms as well as dorms, most often with shared bathroom. I tried to stay in those as often as possible for the best of both worlds.

There is a great freedom from stress and worry about finding a bed when you have booked a place ahead.
After walking the Camino 4 times without booking ahead, I have become an advocate for having accommodation booked and like thousands of other pilgrims I am no longer a part of the race for beds.
Having set stages doesn't bother me. I no longer have the urge to walk 30km a day and prefer to keep the daily stages to around 20km so booking places at the 20km is not a hardship.
People say that you miss the pilgrim experience by not staying in traditional albergues but with extreme overcrowding, more and more pilgrims are staying in private albergues or small hostales and there is more than enough opportunity to share a meal with other pilgrims without having to share a room with them.

Ten other advantages - for me - are:

1) I can sleep in if I want to - and sometimes, at my age, I just want to sleep in!
2) I can have a leisurely breakfast with other pilgrims (who also wanted to sleep in)
3) I can take my time on the path, sauntering around the villages and sitting on the bench in the square chatting to locals.
4) I can wait outside a special church or museum for it to open if I want to.
5) I can take that detour that most pilgrims ignore because of time constraints.
6) I can have a nice long lunch with other pilgrims who are also not in a hurry to get a bed before the albergue fills up.
7) I can have a siesta under a tree if I want to.
8) After sleeping in 100's of dormitories I've decided that I like to have a private room and a private bathroom.
9) I can join the other pilgrims staying at the albergue or hostal at the 9pm dinner when many pilgrims are getting into their bunks in the albergues. I could even go out and join in the Fiesta! (Then I'd need to sleep in the next day.)
10) I can walk with a daypack and send other stuff ahead. I am no longer so attached to my toiletries, washing bag, extra Crocs and metal mug that I want to carry them every day.

If I ever walk the Camino Frances again on my own, I would choose to stay in only a few traditional albergues and the rest would all be in pre-booked, private accommodation. I feel relaxed just thinking about it!

I don't have time to read all the other replies, but I walked the Camino Francis alone and only stayed in Albergue dorms twice. I did not have trouble finding accommodations, I found gronze.com the most helpful. I usually shared with another person, and we could usually call a day or two ahead to reserve. We do speak Spanish, but I don't think it would be necessary. Albergues are not for everyone. At 70, my bathroom needs are not consistent with sharing with many people. This is physiological, not a matter of temperament. Also, I have osteoperosis and would not be comfortable either in a top bunk or asking someone else to give up their bottom bunk for me. I met many wonderful people and had a great time. Typically, except in large cities, private rooms would cost 30-40 euros which is not bad split between 2 people. Another source of reserving is booking.com, but if you can speak some Spanish (or someone at the accommodation speaks your language) you can get a lower price calling directly. Good luck!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There seem to be private accommodations just about everywhere except in the smallest of towns. There were times, yes there were times, when I was absolutely fed up with the alburgue lifestyle and did treat myself to hotels or pensions.I didn't have any problem without reservations, and prices can be negotiated. I even stayed in that castle of a hotel in Burgos on the cheap as a walk in, asking for the best price. Also, there are alburgues, and then there are good alburgues.

Overall, I enjoyed not knowing where I was going to stay and never worried about it.

I stayed in hotels only at the beginning and end of my Camino.
My Camino evolved into calling ahead to the reservable albergue of my choice. I would look ahead at ameneties and services. I liked knowing I would be in the one I wanted with dryers on those muggy days that laundry would never dry on the line. I liked being able to request a lower bunk in advance to protect my back. I started when I had a good feel for what my body could do and how far I expected to go the next day. It was a pleasure to know I had a secure bed.
I never requested a private room (I had no special needs) but I lucked out with a room with only 2 or 3 people several times.
I too need private time for full regeneration. I was able to find that by leaving earlier in the morning. By Sarria, I tried your technique and stopped for a coffee or tortilla, just 25 minutes difference, letting the wave of pilgrims pass by, and found it really did put me into a wonderful solitary window.
In Astorga, I thought after 3 weeks I deserved a hotel bed! You know? I felt I had wasted money. The only benefit was the ability to rattle my back pack, or get up and turn on a light without disturbing anyone. I may have been fortunate with only a couple of snorers on my trek
Just my experience
Nanc

I love the albergues for the random mix of people who seem eager to build community and share stories. That said, there are times when I crave a cotton towel and clean sheets, I want to spend an extra day in a town, or I'm sick - and I stay in a hotel.

A story - I was having dinner alone in a hotel in Astorga. Three pilgrims were having dinner at the table next to me. One pilgrim was describing their Camino so far - they always stayed in hotels, had their backpacks carried to the next albergue, and ate dinner and walked with the same group. One of the women was complaining that, despite walking for 20 days, she was yet to have a "Camino experience" - a moment of spiritual or emotional awakening - a moment when the Camino came alive and became more than just a place she was visiting.

I kept my mouth shut and continued to eat my meal. I know, I know, I know - we're not supposed to judge. But I do believe that if we are to truly experience life, we need to open ourselves to the unknown and the things we cannot control. I love one of the quotes from the "Sayings of the Desert Fathers" when a monk comes to the abbot for advice:

• Abba Lot went to see Abba Joseph and said to him, "Abba, as far as I can I say my little office, I fast a little, I pray and meditate, I live in peace and as far as I can, I purify my thoughts. What else can I do?" Then the old man stood up and stretched his hands towards heaven. His fingers became like ten lamps of fire and he said to him, "If you will, you can become all flame."
If I am to become flame, then I will need to get burned once and a while.

There's lots of good advice from many folks posted here. You can often use booking.com to book accommodations on the Frances. There are so many options on the route, a huge infrastructure that it's near impossible to go wrong. I agree, the albergues can wear a bit thin after a time, but I typically use them together with small hostels and cheap hotels tossed in to have a break. Booking a couple of days ahead seems to work well, but keep in mind that May and September are the two busiest months out of SJPDP. I was just thiere yesterday after walking in from Le Puy and a wonderful volunteer showed me all the current data. Much higher numbers than in 2015 which was also very busy. The April and late September numbers are lower and there were quite a few peregrinos preparing to depart to Roncevalles yesterday. Today a gorgeous sunny day to cross the Pyrennes! Have fun planning your journey. Have you considered the Le Puy route to SJPDP? Less traveled and very beautiful...better food too! Alternative might be the Sabreses Camino from Zamora to Santiago, also extremely beautiful if you feel that you need to walk into Santiago again. The Frances is getting pretty full these days and there are extremely good alternatives out there with sufficient pilgrims for company and safety. Have fun with your planning!
thank you i will look up that way
also :)

There is a great freedom from stress and worry about finding a bed when you have booked a place ahead.
After walking the Camino 4 times without booking ahead, I have become an advocate for having accommodation booked and like thousands of other pilgrims I am no longer a part of the race for beds.
Having set stages doesn't bother me. I no longer have the urge to walk 30km a day and prefer to keep the daily stages to around 20km so booking places at the 20km is not a hardship.
People say that you miss the pilgrim experience by not staying in traditional albergues but with extreme overcrowding, more and more pilgrims are staying in private albergues or small hostales and there is more than enough opportunity to share a meal with other pilgrims without having to share a room with them.

Ten other advantages - for me - are:

1) I can sleep in if I want to - and sometimes, at my age, I just want to sleep in!
2) I can have a leisurely breakfast with other pilgrims (who also wanted to sleep in)
3) I can take my time on the path, sauntering around the villages and sitting on the bench in the square chatting to locals.
4) I can wait outside a special church or museum for it to open if I want to.
5) I can take that detour that most pilgrims ignore because of time constraints.
6) I can have a nice long lunch with other pilgrims who are also not in a hurry to get a bed before the albergue fills up.
7) I can have a siesta under a tree if I want to.
8) After sleeping in 100's of dormitories I've decided that I like to have a private room and a private bathroom.
9) I can join the other pilgrims staying at the albergue or hostal at the 9pm dinner when many pilgrims are getting into their bunks in the albergues. I could even go out and join in the Fiesta! (Then I'd need to sleep in the next day.)
10) I can walk with a daypack and send other stuff ahead. I am no longer so attached to my toiletries, washing bag, extra Crocs and metal mug that I want to carry them every day.

If I ever walk the Camino Frances again on my own, I would choose to stay in only a few traditional albergues and the rest would all be in pre-booked, private accommodation. I feel relaxed just thinking about it!
lucky i am not alone in my wishes like being together and being alone ; ) thanks

Message me your email if you'd like my list of the accommodation we used in 2014 (more or less 20km apart). It may be out of date, but is a starting point. Buen Camino

On the Camino ´Which shall not be named´ I stayed every day in a municipal albergue. Only once in Lugo I booked into a hotel as I needed my private time and a long hot bath as I was exhausted walking 40km. I loved the experience sharing everything with my fellow pilgrims but I can understand that some don´t feel that way or can´t do this due to health or other reasons.
Next camino I will do the same and just get up in the morning and see how far and where my feet get me. It was the best I have ever done and I learned so much from this experience. I was never a very social person and my temper sometimes very bad. That changed completely. The night I stayed alone in the hotel I felt very alone and missed my new found friends and the bonds that were created are still very strong.
We even plan visits to each other and 4 of us already want to do the next one together.

Buen camino to all of you and do whatever you feel is right for you. For me this is sharing with others.

Just finished walking from SJPDP to Finisterre. Must have not been very observant as it took me quite a while before I realized how many people I walked with were sleeping in the fields because they could not afford the Albergues. Started paying for a bunk and the Pilgrim meal for those who really appreciated a bunk bed and a hot shower once a week. Very humbling to walk with these people. But it makes you feel good to buy supper for someone who cleans every morsel of food or oil off their plate with pieces of bread--they really don't eat everyday because they can not afford it.

One woman who slept in the fields told me that IF she ever hits the lottery, she will spend her money to walk the Camino Frances and stay in an albergue EVERY night. Bought her a top bunk for a night.
Thank you for caring for fellow pilgrims! You are a caring person and I appreciate it.
Phil

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On the Camino Frances now in Sahagun. We have battled various ailments that slow is down. Found that albergues were full or only top bunks left by the time we arrived. We transported a shared bag to help with speed but not enough. Top bunks for older women is not good! So we have been staying at Albergue/hostal combo or hostal so that we can be guaranteed a bed regardless of arrival time.

Wow, does it sound really crowded! We walked in March/April (Holy Week) in 2015, the albergues were often almost almost empty. Last year in April/May it was more crowded, but we only had to walk to the next village (7km further) once to find a place to sleep. And we had walked late into the evening.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't have time to read all the other replies, but I walked the Camino Francis alone and only stayed in Albergue dorms twice. I did not have trouble finding accommodations, I found gronze.com the most helpful. I usually shared with another person, and we could usually call a day or two ahead to reserve. We do speak Spanish, but I don't think it would be necessary. Albergues are not for everyone. At 70, my bathroom needs are not consistent with sharing with many people. This is physiological, not a matter of temperament. Also, I have osteoperosis and would not be comfortable either in a top bunk or asking someone else to give up their bottom bunk for me. I met many wonderful people and had a great time. Typically, except in large cities, private rooms would cost 30-40 euros which is not bad split between 2 people. Another source of reserving is booking.com, but if you can speak some Spanish (or someone at the accommodation speaks your language) you can get a lower price calling directly. Good luck!

I would be more than glad to give a bottom bunk to someone who needs it! Really! I would like to honor and assist other pilgrims, esp. older women, as I am going to be older myself soon enough. :)

As a vertigo sufferer (can get up that top bunk, but not down) I thank you @kelleymac ! Buen Camino, SY
The perfect bunk-mate for me...I can't bear to be in the bottom bunk, and can easily climb up and down without a chair or ladder:)
The first time I was assigned a bottom bunk, it took some effort to get up my nerve to ask "I'm sorry, but if there's anyway I could possibly please have a top bunk near the door, I would be so grateful..." after the second time (and the hospitalero reaction at both), I realized I was begging for less than prime real-estate. o_O

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Wow, does it sound really crowded! We walked in March/April (Holy Week) in 2015, the albergues were often almost almost empty. Last year in April/May it was more crowded, but we only had to walk to the next village (7km further) once to find a place to sleep. And we had walked late into the evening.
Thank you. How was the weather in april/may?
:)

Thank you. How was the weather in april/may?
This year it was sunny and warm. -- We had two days of clouds and the Napoleon Way was open, but we did get sleet, fog and snow way up there. But the rest of the walk was cool in the mornings and warm in the afternoons.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, the worst nights sleep I had while on the Camino was my first night ina dorm, which was completely empty apart from me!

I brought ear plugs and slept very well in shared dorms in Alburgues, so maybe give it a try and see how you go??

Message me your email if you'd like my list of the accommodation we used in 2014 (more or less 20km apart). It may be out of date, but is a starting point. Buen Camino
Hi JoanneK, would you still have the list of accommodation you mention. I am walking the frances in August and would prefer to stay in private rooms. Cheers Garry

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back