• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning My Return after 2 new hips and knees

Penny Kingma

Never Stop Trying !
Time of past OR future Camino
Hello everyone
Those that have been following me know of my challenges.
I’ve currently had my right knee, right hip and left knee replaced. I have my left hip replacement planned for February/March 2019.
I walked from SJDP to Santiago in 2016. The most enriching and amazing experience of my 54 years.
Dislocating my hips waterskiing on July 17 ....8 days after returning home has been hard. I’ve been forced into inactivity since for the first time in my life. What is helping me through it is my memories of my Camino and my dream to return. My surgeon is amazed by my quick recovery after each surgery...way above the curve.
My question is which Camino to come back to.
After such an amazing experience the first time should I just return to the Frances?
I ? if I’d be disappointed... if it will be less then the first... because of the knowledge ...that experience was in part because of those I met along the Way.
The Portuguese Camino was always my thought .... but which one?
I warn my family that perhaps I’ll walk to Santiago on the Portuguese and walk back to SJDP on the Frances all in one.
Those of you that have returned....what was your experience?
My first Camino I took my time....preferring to stop when I wanted ...not using planned stages.
This would be my plan again.39288CBD-9853-455D-9927-ADB3AF432A94.jpeg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Penny Kingma
I certainly could not advise you in your situation, since I have been blessed with good health. However, you might want to consider how you feel and what your doctors advise before you decide on your next camino. Except for the first day or two from SJPdP to Roncesvalles, the Frances route is fairly easy to walk and it is generally also easy to get a taxi if you need to (or a horse, up to O Cebreiro). I have walked various routes for my three caminos and the physical challenges were least for me on the Frances. Facilities and services are most available on that route. However, the Frances was a major part of my second camino, as I walked the Aragones to Puenta la Reina, then the rest of the Frances (2016). I did not find the walk on the Frances unpleasantly repetitive.
Like many of us, you are now thinking of camino walking as being a repeated experience. Perhaps you might like to walk the Frances again this time, in whatever direction, then decide on future caminos depending on how you did? Whatever you decide, "Buen Camino" to an extraordinary pilgrim.

I walked the Frances in 2015 and again in 2017. I did not feel it was much busier than before, but often stay in off stages. Of course, the Sarria madness continues. I enjoyed it both times, but after completing the 2nd one, I told myself I want new fish to fry, so continue seeking other caminos to walk. Never been dissappointed in any of them yet!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello everyone
I’ve currently had my right knee, right hip and left knee replaced. I have my left hip replacement planned for February/March 2019.
I walked from SJDP to Santiago in 2016. The most enriching and amazing experience of my 54 years.
Dislocating my hips waterskiing on July 17 ....8 days after returning home has been hard. I’ve been forced into inactivity since for the first time in my life. What is helping me through it is my memories of my Camino and my dream to return. My surgeon is amazed by my quick recovery after each surgery...way above the curve.
After such an amazing experience the first time should I just return to the Frances?
I ? if I’d be disappointed... if it will be less then the first... because of the knowledge ...that experience was in part because of those I met along the Way.
I warn my family that perhaps I’ll walk to Santiago on the Portuguese and walk back to SJDP on the Frances all in one.
My first Camino I took my time....preferring to stop when I wanted ...not using planned stages.
This would be my plan again.
You’ve identified the people as the key factor that made your CF so magical the first time. Certainly the people will be different, but likely no less magical than the first time around. I’d go to whichever Camino is calling you and not worry about matching a prior experience. When people ask me why I’d want to walk another CF I answer that it’s the people that make a Camino experience so meaningful.

You’ve identified the people as the key factor that made your CF so magical the first time. Certainly the people will be different, but likely no less magical than the first time around. I’d go to whichever Camino is calling you and not worry about matching a prior experience. When people ask me why I’d want to walk another CF I answer that it’s the people that make a Camino experience so meaningful.
I noticed your return is planned for Feb/March 2020.....you can warm up the trail for me....my hope is Starting May 28th 2020 from SJDP. the same starting date as my previous one.

I remember my 3rd or 4th day on my Camino. In so much pain walking down what looked and felt like a dry rocky stream into this little village. I was crying....thinking I was crazy trying to do this ( less then a year after being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis). I really had thoughts of quitting that day. I was the last Pilgrim walking in that day. I arrived to cheers and clapping...from those I’d met so far on the trail.
One little group of individuals from Montreal, Netherlands, Sweden, and Denmark waved me in. The women from the Netherlands exclaimed she was helping me to my albergue. Once there her real motive was made clear. She dumped my backpack of everything and purged me of things that I just didn’t need....including my guide book and little camera. My phone worked for all. Nothing is so precious to keep that will prevent you from finishing.
I insisted and did carry my pack the whole way.
Later that day at a pilgrim dinner...a booming voice screamed out across the room. Penny you made it !!! It came from a young German guy I’d met that morning. He ran over stating I needed a big hug.
The next day I left feeling lighter in burden and full of the true Camino spirit.
The experience transcends all differences .... and brings all together as one.984A83A5-65EA-4216-9A9B-7481F30662D0.jpeg

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I loved the Frances both times, different people, different seasons, different experiences. Ironically the parts I found hardest werent the mountains etc, but the hard surfaces walking in and out of cities.
I haven't walked the CP but I have read on this forum that there is a lot of hard surfaces and cobbles. The surfaces on the Frances are mainly foot and knee friendly.

Penny— it was wonderful to read what you wrote and to know that you will be out on the Camino again. I’ll be on the Way in late April with my replaced hip, two news knees, and pulmonary problems. Oh, the aging process! I can’t wait to get started! Good luck to you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You look Amazing Penny! My first camino was the CPCentral, then the CP Coastal and just finished the
CF two months ago. I would have to say that one wasn't "better than the other, but different". I had amazing and
wonderful experiences on all 3. I did find that there was more cobblestone/asphalt on the CP, (fractured my hip on the coastal), but found that the bus system was more available. Cafes, albergues and incredible Portuguese people are one of the reasons I will return again to the CP. Because of hearing so much about the CF, I wanted to see what I was missing, so started out from Leon to Santiago in Sept. Can't say it was any better, but did enjoy going to mass most nights in the villages, which weren't as readily available on the CP. Because you can do the CP in 10-15 days and combining the coastal with central, I would vote for it. But, you need to listen to your inner voice and body and ultimately your doctors and pray upon it and I know you will find your answer, Bom Caminho

Thank you Liana
Did you say you fractured your hip while on the Portuguese Camino ?

Unfortunately yes. Sometimes "fluky" things happen, I had also been hit by a car 10 years ago and broke my tib/fib and told myself it was already a compromised leg : > But, it didn't stop me from the CF in September, I just took 5 weeks and will also take it slow again on the CP.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Unfortunately yes. Sometimes "fluky" things happen, I had also been hit by a car 10 years ago and broke my tib/fib and told myself it was already a compromised leg : > But, it didn't stop me from the CF in September, I just took 5 weeks and will also take it slow again on the CP.
Wow.....strong inspiring women

Hi Penny,

Firstly, I'd like to commend you on your recovery from the first three, and hope the fourth surgery goes just as well. My mother has also managed the full set of hips and knees, and I know how frustrating it can be in pushing yourself to recover each time and regain that mobility. Hopefully, the motivation of having the Camino challenge ahead of you will help you to keep doing all the physio and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

My gut instinct in terms of answering your question might be to do the Frances first, as it seems to have the greater infrastructure, and also has more people walking to provide a little safety net. As you say the people aspect is important, you may also meet more people doing the same as you, and simply from the volume of people walking at different paces, may find more people walking similar stages to you.

However you choose, I hope you recover well and can get back into the rhythm of regular walking.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello everyone
This would be my plan again.View attachment 50945
Penny, you are very inspiring, thank you. I will be on the Frances in September, maybe our paths will cross. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have a blast young lady! I had both hips replaced in 2006 and walked the Frances (Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela) in 2017. I was 57 at the time.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back