• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning my Senda Litoral in April/May

MariaBi

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese 2020
Dear all, I am in process of planning my Portuguese Camino (the Litoral way) and got stuck on the Vila do Conde - Viana de Castelo part. I feel like breaking it into three stages, not the logical two (Vila do Conde - Esposende - Viana de Castelo). My original plan was:
1) Vila do Conde - Apulia - (somewhere between Marinhas and Mar) - Viana de Castelo. That would be 18 + 13 + 20 kms
Wouldn't this make a better option:
2) Vila do Conde - Fao - Chafe - Viana de Castelo? And that would mean 20 + 21 + 8 (can't imagine why the sums are not equal, I just measured from one accomodation to another) and give us more time in Viana de Castelo (almost a restday)
I have to plan and book the accomodations ahead and I would not like daily stages exceed 20 kms.
What do you think of that? Any ideas are appreciated

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear all, I am in process of planning my Portuguese Camino (the Litoral way) and got stuck on the Vila do Conde - Viana de Castelo part. I feel like breaking it into three stages, not the logical two (Vila do Conde - Esposende - Viana de Castelo). My original plan was:
1) Vila do Conde - Apulia - (somewhere between Marinhas and Mar) - Viana de Castelo. That would be 18 + 13 + 20 kms
Wouldn't this make a better option:
2) Vila do Conde - Fao - Chafe - Viana de Castelo? And that would mean 20 + 21 + 8 (can't imagine why the sums are not equal, I just measured from one accomodation to another) and give us more time in Viana de Castelo (almost a restday)
I have to plan and book the accomodations ahead and I would not like daily stages exceed 20 kms.
What do you think of that? Any ideas are appreciated

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like a good plan if you want to do short distances, and the places you want to stay at have availability.

8kms IS a rest day for me – a leisurely 2 or 3 hour walk followed by just relaxing somewhere in a nice place.

And Viana do Castelo is certainly worth spending a little time in.

I can’t plan “rest days”. I just know them when I “hit” them.

You arrive at a place and suddenly realise that you have to stop moving for 2 nights.

That’s the problem with pre-booking.

So if I HAVE to pre-book I always have Plan B, e.g. the bus schedule to the next place for the next day.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back