• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning on doing the Camino with a teen...

I have wanted to do the Camino since I was 18 and never got around to it. Now I am 31 and am planning on doing the Camino in May 2015 with my daughter (age 12) Do you have any suggestions? Do any of you have personal experience with walking with a tween/teen? Right now she is all for it, we live a relatively nomadic life and are used to spending a lot of time together so I am not worried about that aspect, but would love to know of what any of you did before or during the walk to engage you children and keep them interested. Thanks in advance.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have wanted to do the Camino since I was 18 and never got around to it. Now I am 31 and am planning on doing the Camino in May 2015 with my daughter (age 12) Do you have any suggestions? Do any of you have personal experience with walking with a tween/teen? Right now she is all for it, we live a relatively nomadic life and are used to spending a lot of time together so I am not worried about that aspect, but would love to know of what any of you did before or during the walk to engage you children and keep them interested. Thanks in advance.
Try a search (bottom of the page) for "teen" as well, I am pretty sure you will find many threads on this topic. :)

Buen Camino!
Ivar

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We walked it with a 15 month old, so a whole other ballgame. But we did meet a 12 year old in Laguna de Castilla riding a triplet bicycle with her parents (they had begun in Paris). I think that my primary concerns would be the ones you already addressed, meaning as long as she is into it, it should go well. Spain isn't so much a nation as a diverse grouping of different cultures, meaning it's gonna change as you walk---topography, food, people. Meanwhile she'll be meeting people from all nationalities. I think it won't get so mundane for her. I think it will go well.

But also prepare her, she's about to be the Paris Hilton of the Camino. Kids on the camino attract attention---conversation, pictures, gifts, more pictures, like you wouldn't imagine. I'm sure it won't be NEARLY as extreme for a 12 year old as it was a 15 month old, but, on the other hand, she'll be more aware of it (and potentially more annoyed by it). If she's a wallflower, she's going to have to be prepared to act like she isn't for a month. She needs to get comfortable being an instant celebrity---it may not be something she desires (we certainly didn't) but it is the reality.

When you have the time i think it is no problem. How long you think to walk to Santiago de Compostela. ?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Kiwi family and google a blog "girls on the way" might give you some insight on moms who took their kiddos. I have seen several people with their children
on the Camino. Late summer / early fall I am taking four of my kids, maybe five of them. Their ages are 15,13,11,9...and maybe my 7 year old.
They have "watched" be walk the Frances and the Norte (with the smaller coastal Caminos thrown in at the end) so they have been very engaged in this trek.
They have a huge wall map at home that they followed me on. I have spent a lot of time telling them about things to look forward to,specifics that they will see.
They want to leave now...!
You and your daughter will have a wonderful time!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I plan on walking either the Frances or Norte with my 12 year old daughter in June 2015. I'm a little apprehensive because she is excited now but who knows what she'll be like once we actually start walking. My biggest fear is hearing her whine for a whole month!!!! What fun is that, right??? I wish you the best of luck and hopefully we will instill a love of nature and walking in our girls!!!! Nadine

Nomadic life is good preparation, I traveled often with my own daughter at that same blossoming age, together we had no problems, in company she too was a great attraction which she bore stoically but developed a sudden shyness and hesitation even second thoughts concerning communal showers-we have often found ourselves bathing together in a lake or spring but showering with other women somehow didn’t work, similarly with shared meals-why must he sit next to me?!- unrecognized foods, and a never before or after seen intolerance to smell. Anything might happen and maybe nothing at all, stay well tuned and do consider mixing in private rooms, pensions, or 1* hotels with albergues if you feel issues are brewing.

I am 71 and Beth my granddaughter is 13. So we will have a big age gap next June when we walk together. My chief concern is that she might find granny's pace too slow. Am really interested to read other peoples experiences.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, I (49) finished my first camino (Portugues) this September together with my son(20).
I was 18 too, when I first heard about the camino in school and ever since then I knew, I would go for it one day. Time went quickly and when I was in my thirties, my son about eleven years old, we listened a lot to the really funny audiobook of a famous German guy, who did it. I told my son that I intend to walk the camino one day, when he and his sisters are older. And he said: let's go together after I finished school!
I didn't take this for serious first, but he kept talking about it over the years and finally we did it one year after his German Abitur and hiked from Porto to Santiago. It was one of the best experiences in my life and I feel gifted and thankful for having such an intense (and unexpectedly funny) time. I can highly recommend this way, camino Portugues , which is said to be less exhausting compared to others. This might be an issue planning it with a 12 year old girl... We chose the coastal way on our first day, which is beautiful!
In total I suggest asking your daughter if she is really exited about doing the camino. If your companion is a teenager who hates hikes, walking and is in puberty on top: good luck! Your dreams might not be hers. Best wishes to you and Bon camino!

Hi,

Walking with a teen? Something like this:

2014-10-05 20.15.55.jpg

We walked from Astorga to Santiago in 2 weeks. Really wonderful experience, he is 15 and not really fan of hiking, but we had a lot of good talk and time together.
I think one key to the good relation was to let him have his time (mostly with his iPhone...) every day.

Have fun with your daughter and buen camino!
Jacques-D.

I am constantly planning on taking my daughter and granddaughter (12) to the Camino. It will be no problem, except that the little one may very well outperform you on the Way... ;) Maybe August, 2-3 weeks before school?... Hmmm...

PS: I have walked the Camino several times, and based on that experience, I have no problem bringing a 12-year old with me. More problems with this 60-year old salty dog, possibly...

Edit: You have now inspired me to try to take my daughter and granddaughter for a walk on the Camino in early August, before school. Thank you!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We walked with our son over 3 summers, starting when he had just turned 11. The first year was difficult; he wasn't prepared (nor were we), and got tired early in the afternoons. We would carry his pack for 15-30 minutes almost every day. The next year, he never got tired. The third year, he left us behind (and I was tempted to have him carry my pack!). He was a celebrity the first year, but by the third, not so much. Part of that is because the closer we got to Santiago, the more kids there were walking. The first year from SJPP to Los Arcos, he was almost always the only kid in the albergues. We're so glad we did it when we did; now he is a surly teenager and doesn't want to walk (or do much of anything) with us, but we hope one day he will go back and walk it again. Buen camino!

Hi! Last year I did a 300km pilgrimage with my then 11 year old daughter, and it was simply awesome. She was just at the right age; old enough that she will never forget it, and young enough to still find fields of flowers and slugs on the path along the way amusing and entertaining. On reflection, I remember at the time thinking 'she is actually better at this than I am' because she was simply in awe of everything she saw and just took everything in her stride, including the very difficult days. She was definitely a Camino 'celebrity' at the time and we walk into villages and people would actually be expecting us. It was very easy to meet people as everyone was curious about 'the child' and why wasn't she in school! As for the physical side of things: she carried her own backpack with her own water for the day, snacks for the both of us, her teddy (a must have accessory when Mum becomes totally uncool). I carried the majority of our baggage which helped slow me down to her pace. She also carried all our maps for the days ahead - in reality we didn't actually need these as the paths are so well marked with shell symbols and arrows... but it certainly put a stop to the 'are we there yet?'questions as she knew exactly how far we were walking and where exactly we were. I also let her select on the maps each morning where we would stop each day for breaks, and this gave her more determination to power on.It only took her a day or two to realise the importance of getting through the hardest section well before the lunch break so the afternoon would be easier. As a parent of a young girl on the Camino I chose to stay in private rooms along the way - this was easy and still very cheap. To see her in Santiago after we had arrived, being so proud of herself.... wow. Priceless. That is something I will never forget and will be forever proud of.

What a great thread. I appreciate all the advice I'm getting here, because in June I will be walking from Leon to Santiago with my great-nephew and god-son who will then be 18 and a high school graduate. I've never had kids of my own so I'm a little apprehensive, but I am also excited because he is a delightful young man with a lot of maturity (Eagle Scout). I'm not worried about his ability to make it since he is an athlete (track and field, with a probable athletic scholarship to college).

I'm going to shut up and listen, and ask a question when I have one.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I too appreciate the advice on this thread. My son and I are bringing my two grandsons 11 and 8 to walk from Sarria on 22nd June next year. I'm hoping we can make it to Portomarin on day 1 and after that we will play it by ear. Slowly getting them into walking. My son has heard all my Camino tales and this will initiate him. I'm sure he will love it! Reading all I can from others, walking with children, blogs.
I have met a few young girls on camino,very well behaved so I worry about our wildies!

Beth and I have been talking about doing the Camino together for years We plan to travel Thursday 4th June. We sat at the computer together last November and booked our flights to and from Bilbao. Since then I have booked our bus transfers to Pamplona and from Burgos back to Bilbao and also booked most of the places we plan staying. Obviously we cannot book Granon nor Tonsantos. The rucksacks are packed, the first aid kit checked and rechecked. I have printed off the emails as proof of my bookings, I have printed maps of the town on the back with the albergue clearly marked. I have a list of the telephone numbers so I can confirm bookings 24 hours in advance. I have done everything I can think of to ensure all goes well.

Then On Sunday 10th May my back gives trouble. I have been to the physiotherapist almost in tears with despair Don't worry she says , there is plenty of time. Joint between spine and pelvis not mobile enough. (*** stiff) I exercise it to get it going Then we discover a stiffness between two vertabrae. Last Sunday night it was definitely "Cant go". the discussion was when to tell Beth. Not until she has finished her exams her father says. Monday I visit Linda again,"There is still plenty of time" she says . more exercises though different, but pain still down my leg. I was there again today. I have one more appointment for Tuesday 2nd.

My mental attitude has been similar to a diagram of altitudes on some of the more mountainous parts of the Camino. Swinging between " Can't go. It would be irresponsible to go with a child if there is a likelihood of me not being able to take care of her." " Yes we will be able to go." Have not yet downloaded boarding passes, but arranged with Richard my Parish priest to give us the pilgrim blessing at 9.45 on Thursday morning before we take off to the airport.

Will you all pray that if it right for us to go that my back will get completely better and that no matter what that the Spirit will give me the wisdom to make the correct decision.

Lydia, my back hurts all the time. Sometimes it hurts so much I can't go on Camino. Most of the time I can go on Camino with a back that hurts. I don't intend to boast - last time it really locked up my Osteopath suggested "exercise"; we both laughed when I explained that I'd just missed my flight to Madrid because of my sacroiliac's sense of humour.

Of course I will pray for you and yours; and I will burn a little moxa for the pain and I wish you Buen Camino. Oh, and give Beth the chance to be an adult - involve her in any decision that you make.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lydia,

Wishing you a speedy recovery while hoping that you and Beth will be able to go as planned. Whatever comes to pass please do take it easy and not try to do too much too soon.

Take care,

Margaret Meredith

Thank you Tincatinker and Margaret,
I was feeling really low on Wednesday, but this evening have finally decided that we will definitely go and have printed off our boarding passes.

Thanks for the advice Tincatinker of giving Beth a chance to be an adult. I realise that I still see her as a child. I recall that when I was only a few months older than she is now that I was for several weeks looking after my grandmother who was bedridden with rheumatism.

Margaret I have decided that if really necessary I will spend my children's inheritance on taxies. !!!!

I am a lot better and am looking forward to being on the Camino again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Will you all pray that if it right for us to go that my back will get completely better and that no matter what that the Spirit will give me the wisdom to make the correct decision.
Lydia, I will pray "for whatever is best" for the two of you.
And I wish you a Buen Camino.

Thank you wawpdx

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back