• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning on walking Camino Mozarabe in March

Kinohike

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino Portugues (2015)
Current Plans are to arrive in Granada on the 21st, see the city and start out. Given current circumstances, I might be there a week earlier, on the 15th, but that's still up in the air. Anyone planning on being on The Way during that time?:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Kinohike welcome to the forum. I hope you encounter other pilgrims on you way, but you may find the walk as far as Mérida rather solitary.

I walked last year from Malaga and was lucky to find a walking partner on this forum. In the eighteen days it took us to reach Mérida we saw only one group of three pilgrims very briefly. They had walked from Granada.

Also, be prepared to wade through a couple of rivers. The first occasion for us was between Hinojosa del Duque and Monterrubio de la Serena , the water level was just below the knees and quite a wide stretch. You can see my blog post for the day here.

There was a similar river to ford walking between Medellin and Mérida. We walked in April and were very lucky with the weather. If you experience a lot of rain I imagine you will encounter more ground water. It is good to be prepared with footwear you can use to wade.

You are welcome to take a look at my blog - 9 or 10 stages from Baena to Mérida will be the same as your Camino from Granada - see link below.

I wish you Buen Camino!

Current Plans are to arrive in Granada on the 21st, see the city and start out. Given current circumstances, I might be there a week earlier, on the 15th, but that's still up in the air. Anyone planning on being on The Way during that time?:)
We shall be walking eight or nine days ahead of you, (re)starting from Córdoba. Buen Camino !

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Kinohike welcome to the forum. I hope you encounter other pilgrims on you way, but you may find the walk as far as Mérida rather solitary.

I walked last year from Malaga and was lucky to find a walking partner on this forum. In the eighteen days it took us to reach Mérida we saw only one group of three pilgrims very briefly. They had walked from Granada.

Also, be prepared to wade through a couple of rivers. The first occasion for us was between Hinojosa del Duque and Monterrubio de la Serena , the water level was just below the knees and quite a wide stretch. You can see my blog post for the day here.

There was a similar river to ford walking between Medellin and Mérida. We walked in April and were very lucky with the weather. If you experience a lot of rain I imagine you will encounter more ground water. It is good to be prepared with footwear you can use to wade.

You are welcome to take a look at my blog - 9 or 10 stages from Baena to Mérida will be the same as your Camino from Granada - see link below.

I wish you Buen Camino!

Thanks everyone! I've decided to try the walk from Granada, despite it's reputation as a lonely walk. I will be walking by myself, but I think it'll be good for me.

Magwood, your blog is amazing! Did you use a guidebook for your walk? What guides if any are you guys taking with you?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are planning to walk from Cordoba, starting about May 9, so probably later than most of you, sadly. Found your blog really lovely Magwood, and inspiring, but we are worried about some of those long stretches and trying to find ways around them. We've learnt from previous caminos that 30km is too much for us.

Does anyone know if there is perhaps an off-track option for accom on the Hinojosa to Monterrubio de la Serena stage, please?

We are planning to walk from Cordoba, starting about May 9, so probably later than most of you, sadly. Found your blog really lovely Magwood, and inspiring, but we are worried about some of those long stretches and trying to find ways around them. We've learnt from previous caminos that 30km is too much for us.

Does anyone know if there is perhaps an off-track option for accom on the Hinojosa to Monterrubio de la Serena stage, please?
Hi Carole,
I walked this Camino in 2012......I doubt there was an off-track option.......it was a hard day, but if I survived you will too !! I was 65 at the time, had a painful foot, struggled on the last 6-8 kms of bitumen.......was tempted to hitch a ride from the cars that passed me.....but managed to walk the distance . You could hitch a ride for the last few kms, if the day was too difficult......one does not have to be a martyr ! I also recall having to cross two arroyos on this day. I walked this section at the end of Sept........I don't know what the water level would be in May. At the arroyo del cohete
, I was unable to cross, so went right, through the reeds and found some rocks to climb over. It was an interesting exercise !! Feel free to PM me if you want any other info......you could ring me if you wish. Buen Camino. Sandra

Glad you liked to blog. I have just re-read the post for this stage and it was lovely until the final stretch on the road. Perhaps you could phone the Hostal Vaticano in Monterrubio and ask them to arrange a pick up at the point where you reach the road. That should knock the kms down to low twenties.

I walked this stage on 22 April. It was necessary for us to wade only one river which was quite wide but remained under knee level. This could vary with different weather conditions.
Buen Camino - would love to know how you get on.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Sandra and Magwood. I loathe bitumen walking so hitching is an option. If not we could phone the hostel and try for a pick up. Thanks . It's good to know there are options . . .

This camino is a test after a 2 year break and some health issues, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the offer of further info Sandra, I'll probably have some more questions... when I get back home later this week. Where would we be without this forum?

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back