• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning Porto to SDC September

Sofia-Richmond

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (May 5, 2015), Portugues (Sep 5, 2016)
Hi,

My husband and I are planning this September from Porto to SDC and we have some questions;
1. We are starting from Matosinhos to Vila do Conde on our first day, however, based on our researched and Brierly that from Vila do Conde to either Arcos or Rates both have no way marked. Is this correct? Which one do you prefer?
2. Will September be crowded?
3. We need a phone data plan that can work in Portugal and Spain, any that you can recommend and where can I get it in Porto?

Many thanks in advance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

My husband and I are planning this September from Porto to SDC and we have some questions;
1. We are starting from Matosinhos to Vila do Conde on our first day, however, based on our researched and Brierly that from Vila do Conde to either Arcos or Rates both have no way marked. Is this correct? Which one do you prefer?
3. We need a phone data plan that can work in Portugal and Spain, any that you can recommend and where can I get it in Porto?

Many thanks in advance.
I can only provide an answer for number 2: We walked on the coastal walk in September to Caminhas and then joined the interior route at Valenca. Hardly any peregrinos on the Coastal part - 5 or 6 in albergues with up to 30 or so beds.
When we hit the interior route it was much busier. We did reach the interior on a Friday and it was quite busy. The main albergue at Redondela was full at around 2pm. Pontevedra filled up at about the same time. My guess it was due to peregrinos beginning Camino at Tui or Valenca on the weekend.Probably would not have been as busy mid week. Non major stop towns (Valga, Teo etc) had plenty of space.
For what it is worth it was good to do some coastal and some interior - a lot of variety.

We did this Camino in June last year. The route is described in Brierley's 2015 guide and well marked from Vila do Conde to Arcos & Rates. A lovely Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I walked via Rates last month and there were enough arrows to get me there without issue.

The only problem I found with the section to Rates was that some of it involved walking on the road and there was quite a lot of traffic on the morning I walked it. Maybe it was just the time of day with people going to work and school etc but the rest of the stage was fine.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,

Many thanks in advance.

in my experience, insted of starting in Matosinhos, it is worth it to walk the delicious promenade down river Douro to the Atlantic, and then up the coast to Vila do Conde, where you can go along by the coast, or turn to Rates, as you see fit. There is a camping site in Algueiras, they offer good prices to pilgrims, plus they have a swimming pool to cool down or relax your aching muscles.

IT is a lovely walk!

as to the phone card, I think you will need two different cards, but there is, nonetheless, plenty of places with WIFI along the way, you might be able to survive without one.

Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back