• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning Portuguese Coastal 😄

karinkaw

Time of past OR future Camino
5/5/2023
Already I've found the topics and pics very inspirational. I'm an active 76 yo and am planning an arrival in Santiago de Campostella on my 77th bday May 21. I'll start walking the Camino Portugues Coastal route from Póvoa de Varzim on May 6, crossing into Spain at Caminha keeping it to 15k or less each day so I can enjoy the stops. I'm sure I'll be asking some questions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
you are in for a treat! My 72 year old husband and I (67 yo) did the Coastal in May 2022 from Porto to Santiago. It is absolutely beautiful with plenty of time to reflect and to meet others.

Some of the distance are of from the guide books . We walked a year ago and found we couldn't get less than about 20km per day. There are lengthy walks between service. Take a lunch and plenty of water.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Some of the distance are of from the guide books . We walked a year ago and found we couldn't get less than about 20km per day. There are lengthy walks between service. Take a lunch and plenty of water.
We'll do what we can and make it "our camino" which is lovely encouragement often given. We'll be doing baggage transport and only carrying extra socks, foot first aid, rain gear if predicted, water and snacks in our little day packs. We may need a lift or 2 some days. My husband is a bit nervous about this endeavor, but the site is helping convince him it will be great.

Some pics from last October to highlight the issues you'll have:

1. Smooth paths
2. Flat forest ways
3. Scenic views.

Just so you are prepared.

Attachments

• IMG_2767.JPG
    IMG_2767.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2774.JPG
    IMG_2774.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2771.JPG
    IMG_2771.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 13
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Already I've found the topics and pics very inspirational. I'm an active 76 yo and am planning an arrival in Santiago de Campostella on my 77th bday May 21. I'll start walking the Camino Portugues Coastal route from Póvoa de Varzim on May 6, crossing into Spain at Caminha keeping it to 15k or less each day so I can enjoy the stops. I'm sure I'll be asking some questions.
From a fit 78 year old Aussie who did this walk in that horrible heatwave in July Including the Variant Spiritual into Monasteria . From there Villanova de Arousa and the boat ride to Padron was wonderful. Highlights Oia , Baiona , Pontevedra and the walk to Combaro to Monasteria challenging .
Buen Camino.
Fit and active 78 year old Aussie I did this walk in that horrible heat wave this July .
Some highlights Oia , Baiona , Pontevedra where I walked the Variant Espiritual via Combaro to Monasteria in around 7 hours . Challenging but rewarding with Pilgrams blessing in the Monastery there followed by great dinner in local Cafe.
After walking from Monasteria to Villa Nova de Arousa took the boat ride the next day from here to Padron which j would recommend.
Loved it all so much I want to do it again sometime in my 80s .
Buen Camino .

From a fit 78 year old Aussie who did this walk in that horrible heatwave in July Including the Variant Spiritual into Monasteria . From there Villanova de Arousa and the boat ride to Padron was wonderful. Highlights Oia , Baiona , Pontevedra and the walk to Combaro to Monasteria challenging .
Buen Camino.

Fit and active 78 year old Aussie I did this walk in that horrible heat wave this July .
Some highlights Oia , Baiona , Pontevedra where I walked the Variant Espiritual via Combaro to Monasteria in around 7 hours . Challenging but rewarding with Pilgrams blessing in the Monastery there followed by great dinner in local Cafe.
After walking from Monasteria to Villa Nova de Arousa took the boat ride the next day from here to Padron which j would recommend.
Loved it all so much I want to do it again sometime in my 80s .
Buen Camino .
Apologies in writing this twice !

I'm planning and looking forward to cycle the Portuguese coastal, starting from Sao Joao da Madeira in April/May 2023. This will be my first camino, though sometime in the late 80's I walked several sections of the CF with various groups. At present I have only two concerns, one - can anyone recommend accommodation in Porto where I will be able to leave my bike box for a week. I will be returning to Porto for a few days following my pilgrimage. and two - has anyone any up to date information on the train service from Santiago to Vigo/Porto on which I can return with my bike ? Thank you

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back