• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning Stages

Nino224

Hello everyone,
I'm in the research phase of the pilgrimage I'm planning for the fall of 2010. I'm reading Paulo Coelho's Peregrino and looking for other books to read so I may be well informed on everything from the history to how to pack. From reading these posts it seems I'll be doing the English Way since I only have a week. I'll be traveling from the US with my wife and my 4 year old son, so I'm still trying to figure out how to get there, how much it's gonna cost, and how to prepare. I also need to figure what they're going to be doing while I walk. I would like for them to be waiting for me in Santiago when I arrive.
Any and all recommendations are appreciated. Thanks. :shock:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Nino,

Ferrol branch of the Ingles can be walked in five days.

As an alternative, the Coruna branch can be walked in 3 days into Santiago (although as the distance is below 100km it does not qualify for Compostela). You could then walk the route out to Cape Finisterre (another 3 days) and your family could take the bus or a taxi out and meet you there as well.

Mig

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'll be doing the Ferrol route because I want the qualification, even though I have to admit I'm not entirely sure what that is.

Johnnie, does your guide cover info directly related to the actual walk or am I going to find info on travel and transpo?
:?:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When pilgrims walked to shrines in the middle ages, they collected official souvenirs to prove that they had been there. The Santiago symbol was the scallop shell (known as the 'pecten Veneres' or 'Ostra Jacobea') and for a few hundred years, no other city or country was allowed to replicate the scallop souvenir by a decree from Rome.
With the introduction of paper, a certificate of completion - the Autentica, was given. The current 'Compostela' document which was introduced in the 1950's is given to pilgrims who walk the last 100km to Santiago, or cycle or horseride the last 200km - is based on a 14thC document of completion, in Latin. When you arrive in Santiago, you can take your stamped credential to the Pilgrim's Office in Rua do Vilar (look for the looooong queue!). There they will ask you a few questions as to your motives for walking and, depending on whether you have walked for religious/spiritual/artistic/sport/tourist reasons, offer you a Compostela or a Visitor's Certificate.
The Ingles from A Coruna does not qualify for the Compostela as it is short of the 100km distance but from el Ferrol it does.

Attachments

• compostela1976W.jpg
    compostela1976W.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 2,477
  • Compostela 2.jpg
    Compostela 2.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 2,475
  • Certificate.JPG
    Certificate.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,486
Hi Nino
the Camino Ingles is a great walk and fits nice into a weeks walk-leaving time for other things at the end.
you asked about plans for your wife and son-not a great deal to keep a 4 year old happy in Santiago-but the beauty of the Ingles is that its conected by public transport from Santiago to the main towns, 9/10 euros from Santiago to Ferrol.( 1 1/2 hours)
so its possible and a lot cheaper if your wife and son share your accomadation ie Ferrol ( 30-40euros) Pontedeume ( bar louis 25 euros) Betanzos (chocolatier apartments 30 euros) basic and cheap rooms in Sigueiro for your family or even bus the 13/15 km to Santiago and back in the morning. this maybe would not work for the bruma stage but does involve your wife and son a bit rather than them waiting bored in Santiago, and saves enough money to maybe go to Finnistera and stay in a 4 star place at the end of the walk
all this information and much more is in the well recomended guide.and the blog/photo albums at the top of the Camino Ingles page
I did the walk in febuary and pictures and blog are in the link below.
good luck with your planning.
Ian

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
sagalouts said:
this maybe would not work for the bruma stage Ian

Ian these are great suggestions. It is perfectly possible to get a bus from each destination to the next or as you say to bus out from Santiago. There are regular buses also to Meson do Vento which is just along the road from Hospital de Bruma.

Buen Camino

John

Dear Nino,

Myself, my husband and two daughters completed the Camino Ingles this summer. My 14 year old sons did not manage to finish. I have posted a summary of our experience elsewhere in this forum. We always knew that we might not all finish so we had arranged to rent an apartment in Cedeira for 2 weeks. Cedeira is 30 km from Ferrol and there is a good bus service. When my sons gave up, I left the Camino and went back to the apartment with them. The apartment was by the beach so we could relax and wait for the others to finish. The beach is very safe, although the water is quite cold. The town is a fishing town as well as a holiday resort. It is very family friendly and there are some good bars. The library, in the old part of town, has internet access and a friendly librarian. There are the ruins of a castle and some lovely walks in the area. There are several supermarkets as well.

I am sure you would be able to find accommodation for your family there. My husband and older daughter were given a lift back from Santiago to Cedeira by some fellow pilgrims; otherwise I think the journey back from Santiago by public transport would have to be through Ferrol as well.

I hope this gives you another option to the one already suggested of your family following you around the various stops.

Best of luck

Family Pilgrim

Betanzos is a stop on the Ingles, it is a very child-friendly city with one of the coolest playgrounds and kiddie parks I´ve ever seen in Spain, with a real boxwood maze to explore! Check out the Confraternity of St James´s downloadable Camino Ingles guidebook -- I put the details in there last year.

Have a great trip
Rebekah

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions. I'll be downloading the guide and starting my research in earnest very soon. I'm sure I'll have many more questions!

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.