• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning the next Camino

Walking Lover

Time of past OR future Camino
CdS from Leon to Santiago, June 16, 2016 to June 30, 2016.
My husband and I did the CdF last summer and want to plan another Camino for June, '17. Would you who have done the Camino de Portuguese weigh in? We are unsure whether to tackle the C de P or the C de Norte next.

Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did the Portuguese from Porto to Santiago in Aug 2015. The route was well waymarked and the landscapes were beautiful with enough variation to keep it interesting. My only complaint would be, to paraphrase Tolkien,'it wasn't long enough'. That year I went on to do the Ingles and the Fisterre. I have also done the del Norte.
In the end a route is a route is a route. For me it is the experiences and people that makes a Camino and the Portuguese was on par with any I have done. As Albertinho says...flip a coin.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the Portuguese Central route, with the 1st day along the coast, and did not think much of it. This being said, these are the bits I did like about it:

the walk along the river in Porto to Mastosinhos, 1full day on a boardwalk is incredible, Pontevedra is a beautiful town, the 6km or so on the Ruta de Piedra y Agua on the Variante Espiritual are some of the most beautiful if not the most beaitiful of any Camino so far, and also on the Variante the Poio monatery and the village of Combarro are beautiful. But those are short lived moments.

If you don't mind hills and perhaps longer daily distances, I would vote for the Norte without hesitation.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you who have done the CF and CP, could you please comment on differences? I understand that I'll need to plan food/drink a bit more and that it is flatter. I'm hoping that otherwise I'll just be able to grab a new credencial and bring the same gear as last time.

For those of you who have done the CF and CP, could you please comment on differences? I understand that I'll need to plan food/drink a bit more and that it is flatter. I'm hoping that otherwise I'll just be able to grab a new credencial and bring the same gear as last time.
It is flatter, so flat that my walking poles were packed away all the time except for climbing up a super high ditch (on the Variante Espiritual) but food and water were never an issue, no need to pack any food nor extra water. At least from Porto onwards.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back