• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning timeline

Varda

Time of past OR future Camino
Forgive me if this has been addressed, but couldn't find anything via search.

I'm planning to walk the Camino in the summer of 2015. It seems so far away now, so theoretical. But I know it's going to sneak up on me. Can anyone give some suggestions on making a timeline for planning? How far out should I reserve airline tickets, book a room for the first night in SJPP, etc. Or other preparations I haven't even thought of!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It turns out airlines don’t start releasing cheaper seats until 3-4 months before departure for domestic travel and conversely 4-5 months before international travel.
In the last 30 days prices rise. Well in advance, the airline will hope for full fare. I have found that about 60 days out is a good time to buy.

Do not make any other reservations earlier than about 60 days before departure (you really can't anyway, since you don't know your travel dates until you have your tickets). Spend your time on general physical conditioning, and learning about the history along the way.

Falcon's advice is excellent. I'm just adding a few additional ieas. You can also start researching and slowly picking up your gear. Most people spend a lot of time trying to decide which boots, which back pack and whether to take a sleeping bag or sleep sack. You can also make sure that you have your passport or that it's not going to expire while you're away. A lot of people also work on learning basic phrases in Spanish. It's exciting thinking and planning your Camino. Enjoy planning! :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
1 absorb advice from forum. Decide which to follow.
2 buy boots/socks and start training
3 decide where you want to start from - this does not have to be any specific place, choose one that is easy for you to get to as there is no "the place" and why give yourself lots of extra time and cost problems?
4 decide where you want to stay the first night. When do they start taking bookings? Ditto if considering a taxi (share if possible).
5 follow Falcon's advice about plane booking

In the last 30 days prices rise. Well in advance, the airline will hope for full fare. I have found that about 60 days out is a good time to buy.

well, some airlines just rise prices according fill up of a flight. at least SAS seems to do this. checking today, 1.5 months before the departure the prices are 20%-150% up depending on the segment, than they were 4 months ago. actually the price for the whole trip has nearly doubled since January.

Start walking daily. When I started I was walking a few miles a day. In a few months 3 or 4 wre ready. I used map my walk. You get feedback once a week on how you've done. It has been fun. I leave Weds. Yikes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Varda,
Welcome to the forum.
If I may offer some early suggestions;
Keep your nearest and dearest in the loop,
be flexible,
browse this forum for info from some of the truly helpful people who are on here, remember no question is stupid,
get used to using the 'search forum' link at the top of this page,
don't be surprised at how quickly the next year will pass as you prepare for your Camino.

For airline tickets it can be worth signing up for special offers, either directly with the airlines or with an online travel agent.

If possible do some longer walks, with a backpack that has some weight in it. This will give you an idea of how much distance you can comfortable cover in a day, which again will give you an idea of how much time you'll need. It will also give you a chance to adjust your backpack:) Likewise - it gives you a chance to figure out if you prefer walking in boots/trainers/trailrunners. People get quite passionate about their preferred option, but no one can tell you what is best for you.

I'd also say it's worth going out for a few walks in pouring rain if the opportunity arises. Wet weather gear is another thing which is very individual. If you figure out that you like a rain jacket/pants, leave the poncho at home, and vice versa. You might end up walking in sunshine all the way, but Galicia is well known for it's rain ;)

- and as has been mentioned above; learn to use the search function. There is a lot of very valuable advice available in the forums

Have fun with the planning:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
...be flexible,...

John is spot on here.
The flexibility in your ability to travel will have a direct impact on when and what you need to do to prepare.
If you are working, do you need to first select when you can go based on a work schedule? If not, your options to flights and dates may make if a much cheaper trip.
It is never too early to begin walking. Or too short of a distance. begin doing that to see what you feel like and how comfortable it is for you.
As to buying flights, some websites will let you set up alerts to notify you when a fare changes. These may help in identifying a good deal.
Not sure where you are coming from, but choosing all the options of where to arrive based on where you want to start, can all be considered and pondered months ahead of time.

Rambler

I can go pretty much anytime, but the friend I'm going with is a teacher, so realistically she can leave the third week of June. I'm coming from the west coast, meeting her on the east, and going from there. At least, that's the current plan...

I'd second pbucilla's advice about learning a bit of Spanish, if you don't speak it already. Although not strictly necessary it will make the world of difference and open a few doors.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back