• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning to cycle the ruta del plata in October ...any one fancy joining me ?

jony jony

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ( 2007) Via de la Plata 2016/2017 . Sept 2018...Via de la Plata...May2019 via de la plata
Hello ...I plan to catch the bus from London to Seville on or around 14th October 2016 and start the chemin a couple of days later to Santiago . I am not a fast cyclist and don't like hills so i am assuming about 3 weeks or so of comfortable cycling .
In 2007 i cycled from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago in 13 days and was about to do it again until last week when i heard about this Ruta Del Plata .
I can honestly say i enjoyed almost every moment of my first pilgrimage and would like to ride to Santiago again whilst i have the health and the will to complete it .
If any one fancies joining me on this ride ,and the dates are not set in stone , then please get in touch with me
at jonboy810@gmail.com

Regards ......John

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
John, I want to walk the Portuguese starting mid October.

But, having read your post I may be interested in biking the Plata instead.

Not in a rush. Slow biker. Have gear. Don't care how long it takes to do.

I will message you.

Marty

John, I want to walk the Portuguese starting mid October.

But, having read your post I may be interested in biking the Plata instead.

Not in a rush. Slow biker. Have gear. Don't care how long it takes to do.

I will message you.

Marty

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks Marty for your reply . As i have already stated i am not a fast cyclist and will not be in a rush either .
I am looking at the best way to get to Seville at the moment , as all my plans have changed since i found out about this chemin .
Originally i was going to drive down to St Jean PP , leave my car there , cycle to Santiago then catch the ALSA bus back to Biarritz then cycle the last 60 odd klms back to my car .
Now i am looking at all the possibilities of getting me and my bike to Seville , the plane is of course much quicker but with baggage handlers not caring about my bike as much as i do, i think the 30 hr bus trip is on the cards . Don't get me wrong , my bike is just a cheap thing but , i do need it to be in the same condition when it arrives in Seville , as it was in London .

Looking forward to your message .

Regards ....John

Instead of leaving car in SJP, what about Bayonne? Then riding train down via Madrid.
Or, leaving car in Santiago then riding bus from Santiago to Seville.

The bus from Santiago is a over night one. Arrives in Seville in the morning at Plaza De Armas bus station. Believe it leaves Santiago in the after noon....forgot time. But think around 6 or so.

That way car would be in Santiago when you finish the ride.

I sent you a PM (started conversation). When logged in, look for white number inside red circle. Can talk there if you like. Then e mail.

There is a bike rental company in Seville. You can ride bike to Santiago from Seville.
Drop it off in Santiago. Or they will pick it up from your location in Santiago.

Many good comments about this rental company in Seville (Triana):

http://www.trianahostel.com/en/bike-rental-st-james-way-camino-de-santiago

I have spoken with the owner of this company a few times. Has good attitude. Runs a honest business.

And, the rental is located at the Triana Hostel, Triana Seville. Location is across the river in Seville.

Where many start the Camino from.

By the way, Seville is a very easy city to get around in via bus or even walking.

Only warning I will give you is to be careful of belongings (i.e. wallet, money, cell phone etc) while walking in the tourist areas.
I have never had a problem. But I don't make myself a target for pick pocketing...quick grabs.

Only other suggestion would be, if possible, to have a extra day to see some of the sights in Seville. Or, if enough time go see Granada or Rhonda. Few hours from Seville.

This is good info: http://www.viaplata.eu

Click the stops on the map for excellent photos and information.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well......everything is booked , train to airport , flight to Seville , bike hire , 1st night at Triana Hotel , have got credential ( fast postal service from Casa Ivar , thanks for that ) , return flight from Santiago , baggage almost packed ....just need to get a few more klms of daily training under my belt !
Marty who was planning to maybe do this ride is now probably not able to come ( hope thing turn out o k Marty ,if you are reading this ) , so , i will be setting out from Seville on 17th October if anyone is interested in joining me . I am not averse to cycling alone but a cycle buddy is no bad thing either is it ?

Regards.....John

I wish I could join you as I would love to get on the Way. But I am starting out in my bike in April 2017.
Have a wonderful time, and post updates on the route, please.

I wish I could join you as I would love to get on the Way. But I am starting out in my bike in April 2017.
Have a wonderful time, and post updates on the route, please.

Hello Juanajoanna ,
Many thanks for your reply and good luck for next April .
I have hired a bike for a month and the bike hire company say i can leave it in Santiago de Compostela ,so that will save me from bringing my own bike on the plane . The link , if you are interested is in the previous reply from Marty .

Regards.........John

A selection of Camino Jewellery
hi John
Thanks for the info. I'm probably taking my own bike, which is a bit of a complication. I am short and often rental bikes don't work got me.

Buen camino.

Well.....due to back problems i had to abandon my ride in Salamanca . I rode 565 klms ( got lost a couple of times :mad: ) in 11 days and loved most of it and so wished i could have continued . I have now booked another hire bike , flight , hotel , coach , train to continue my ride from Salamanca ....i will be leaving Salamanca on 18th May , after picking up my bike from a Seur delivery depot ( unfortunately on the outskirts of the town on the South side ) , where i will have to assemble and adjust some parts of the bike .
Anyway , i am all ready to continue , i just hope the bike will be there when i arrive .

Regards....John

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back