• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning to walk from Tui in early March

sree

Time of past OR future Camino
camino on sept7, 2015
Hi all - I am planning on walking from Tui to Santiago in early March. ( March 4) I am hoping the albergues will be open. Does anyone have any pointers / also any one from Bay Area, CA that plans to do it around the same time? Thanks, Sree

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The best pointer is walk until u get tired. Rest and eat when you are hungry. It is all pretty simple. You are only walking a few days. No sweat.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Currently walking the CP central. Municipal albergues are open, but the ones in Spain seem not to have blankets, so you will definitely want a sleeping bag. The going rate is EUR 8. None so far have a washer or dryer, just hand laundry—this is a problem, because clothes washed by hand do not dry in the cold, rainy weather
Stayed in Valenca instead of Tui, so I can’t tell you anything about that albergue. In O Porriño the public albergue was allegedly open, but it was locked and no one answered the door, nor the phone at the other end of the number posted to call. Ended up staying at a private albergue nearby, called Sendasur. For EUR 10 we got heating, blankets, and access to a washer and dryer. It is a newer place, and all the bunks have curtains. Definitely worth the extra EUR 2 in my opinion.
Tried to stay in the private albergue in Arcade, but it was closed for the winter. The manager said it should be open in February, though. It looked nice. Ended up walking all the way to Pontevedra to find the next open place, the municipal albergue. It has good heating but no blankets. The women’s shower did not have hot water, but this might have been a temporary issue. (The men’s shower had hot water.) I really missed having a hot shower at the end of a long day, but the staff was very helpful and friendly, and we did meet several other pilgrims there.
Tonight in Caldas de Reis, where the municipal albergue did not look that nice (reportedly does not have hot water). Ended up staying in a private place, Hospedaje Estrella do Camiño. EUR 15 per person for a bed in a room with three beds, with heating, washer/dryer, and kitchen. The bathroom has a tub, not just a shower, and after walking 37 km yesterday, I would have paid EUR 15 just for the soak in the tub alone! The young woman who checked us in was extremely helpful and gave us all kinds of information about the town. Highly recommended.
Will update more after I get to Santiago (in 2 days!) But generally speaking, there are a few private albergues open in bigger cities, but in the small towns they are closed. For walking in the cold/rainy season, I find that private albergues, when available, are worth the small extra money for the sake of being warm at night and having dry clothes to put on in the morning. Hope this helps!

Currently at the municipal albergue in Padrón. Fairly nice facilities with hot showers, but no refrigerator. However, the stone building is a bit chilly, so I put my yogurt in the windowsill and will hope for the best. There is good WiFi and a handicapped-accessible room.
Met a Hungarian pilgrim here who did the coastal route plus the spiritual variant from Pontevedra. She said none of the albergues were open on the spiritual variant, so she stayed once at a hotel, and once she called the albergue and got them to open just for her. The boat for the last part does not operate until March, so she walked the whole thing—45 km today! Along the coastal Camino, she said some of the albergues were closed, so she always called ahead to find out where she could stay next. Her daily walk ranged from 22-45 km between open albergues. So the coastal route in winter is probably best for people who are prepared to walk long (and after dark, since the days are short).

The going rate is EUR 8. None so far have a washer or dryer, just hand laundry—this is a problem, because clothes washed by hand do not dry in the cold, rainy weather
For EUR 10 we got heating, blankets, and access to a washer and dryer. It is a newer place, and all the bunks have curtains. Definitely worth the extra EUR 2 in my opinion.

Great value ! Thanks for posting this information.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, it seems like the private albergues that stay open drop their rates in the winter (this one was EUR 12 from Easter through September) while the public ones do not, so the economic argument for staying in the public places is much weaker.

That was the route I took in September. Our hotels were pre-booked so cannot help you with the albergues, although we did pass a really nice one in the town of Tui (sorry don't remember the name). Started at the 118 km mark which was just outside our hotel.

Hi all - I am planning on walking from Tui to Santiago in early March. ( March 4) I am hoping the albergues will be open. Does anyone have any pointers / also any one from Bay Area, CA that plans to do it around the same time? Thanks, Sree

Godspeed. Keep us informed!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back