• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning to walk in late March to May - Weather?!

new2this

Time of past OR future Camino
april 2013 - may 2013
Hi,

Me, my boyfriend and a friend are planning to start walking the Camino Frances at the end of March. What is the weather generally like at this time of year? Do we need extra layers and extra waterproofs? And are waterproof boots recommended?
Sorry were all new to this and don't want to be stuck out etc on the first time.

Thank you guys and girls :) :) :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
This last March, a warm layer of clothes was necessary for me -- long underwear, gloves, knit hat, and fleece. It did not rain a great deal, so my poncho was sufficient. I did take a sleeping bag instead of my usual nylon sleep sack. Some albergues were cold. Waterproof boots are not necessary in my opinion. You may need to dry your boots in the evening occasionally.

New2this:

I have walked this time frame the last three years and weather can be quite variable. You can count on cool mornings, some wind and rain and maybe some snow. That said, I have only seen residual snow at the highest elevations. On the Meseta it could be very warm.

I would suggest you build a kit list similar to the kit list thread. Obviously a woman's list will be a little different and there are several posted in equipment questions and other areas.

In my opinion you do not need waterproof shoes or boots. I think it is more important that they are a good fit and have good soles.

Since you have till Spring I suggest you read through several sections of the forum. If you still have more focused questions, you can post again and are sure to get many responses.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello New,

I'm new to this forum too.

My partner and I walked from St. Jean to Leon in April this year. We walked in winter conditions with some fierce wind on the meseta. There was rain, hail, and snow. I was so glad I packed a knit cap and gloves on a whim. Pack so you can layer and definitely have a good windbreaker.

My hiking shoes were waterproof, and I was glad for it. When it rains, there will be puddles and mud.

Buen Camino!

Call it global warming call due to pollution call it natural processes of the earth's atmosphere and weather whatever but the weather is changing. 2010, the Holy Year, we experienced wonderful spring weather from SJPP all the way to Santiago which means sprouting vineyards, a myriad of wildflowers including the rare and protected wild primrose, and for a treat as we reached Santiago the wisteria kicked in it was amazing-misty mornings of a brisk 5 degrees Celsius (gets you walking quick to warm up) . 2011 it was hot and dry the whole way almost no flowers they had already bloomed 10 degrees in the morning and 20+ by the afternoon. 2012 was another great year lovely flowers "normal" temperature until the rains came! Mid-April until mid-May it almost didn't stop there were also some amazing thunderstorms and winds. In short, prepare for anything because anything might and probably will happen Buen Camino!
S

PS Easter! Comes very early this year, Semna Santa is a special time on the Camino and should not be missed-processions, special masses, beautiful flowers in the churches, public and private celebrations, a treat. March 31 is early and probably will be cold more so if you want to enjoy the holiday you should arrive several days in advance before which might be a bit of a problem since some albergues do not open until 1 April - plan well. How does one decide? Buen Camino
S

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We walked March 19 through May 2012. Had three snows (Pyrenees, Burgos and O'Cebreiro). Ordinary layers were sufficient. We had fleeces inside silk sacks instead of sleeping bags and, combined with albergue blankets, they were also sufficient. Our biggest obstacle was the ceaseless, unrelenting wind in the face, day after day for weeks. Our only weapons, scarves, were NOT sufficient. Windburn is guaranteed. I was bright red throughout the meseta. In Burgo Ranero I discovered that - believe it or not - there's an iPhone app for wind speed that actually works! It often read 25 miles/hour - and ALWAYS directly in the face!

In April and May of 2004 I had everything from fresh snow to torrential downpours and blistering sun. I carefully chose clothing that could be worn in layers or alone. My leather boots were water resistant, but not fully waterproof. It was interesting to see moisture from my feet seep through the boots and appear on the outside. Boots that "Breathe" would be an advantage. But nothing is more important than good fit.

Regardless of the time of year, you are in for a wonderful trip.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

thank you everyone for your replies, I'll plan for the worst and go from there.

New2this

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This was the exact timing of my Camino this year. We had perfect weather (crisp mornings and warm afternoons) Pamplona to Burgos and then rain, snow, sleet and more rain until Santiago.

With proper rain gear and a light heart, the weather only tighten the bond between pilgrims. I still remember how the days without precipation were glorious.

Do bring at least 3 pairs of socks as it may take two days for some clothes to dry due to all the humidity and lack of space on the radiators.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back