• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning, training... and waiting

martin1ws

Time of past OR future Camino
2018; (2020); 2021; 2022; 2023
I want to start my first camino in August 2018 (for roughly 6 weeks). The date is relatively fix (family & job reasons). I first planned to go the Camino Frances from SJPDP over Sarria to SdC.

After reading of bed races and booking-needs at the start of the the Camino Frances near SJPDP and many, many pilgrims after Sarria... I think it is better for me to go less crowded caminos... I want to go the Camino Aragones - Camino Frances (partly) - Camino de Invierno - Camino Sanabres (partly). I want to be glad to meet other pilgrims and not think of something like "Do I need to book in advance?"
I like this interactive map of the caminos:
http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/

Of course I have to improve my Spanish very much... especially as I could not speak one word of Spanish 3 months ago. I started with duolingo. Additionally I have a "birkenbihl" Spanish course that I want to hear during other activities (like training walks; the idea is to learn things like grammer and the pronunciation passively by hearing during other activities). Later on... I will see how to continue the learning process in a few weeks or some months.

If I read of someone starting his or her camino soon in the forum... I think "Buen camino!"... but also... I have to wait for such a long time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Training walks in the Toscana
In my summer holiday with my family in the Toscana I did some (short) training walks on my own (well, almost daily walks would be more precise). My main idea was to do training walks in the heat (between 35 and 40 degrees Celsius ). Short training walks (one to two hours) in the summer sun were okay, if I had really enough water. I felt better then I had expected.

One time I had a pause in the field without a shadow... I felt worse after the rest then before. Probably it was too hot and there was no wind... and if I go there is at least a little bit of "wind". So I would not sit down for resting again without shadow and without wind (if it is really hot) if I do not really need it (e. g. for looking after my feet).

My biggest surprise: I thought that I would not have fun on my (short) training walks. I thought of it as something like "duty" to get a good preparation.
But most of the time it was really fun. It is not so easy to describe what was the fun exactly... Being on my own is interesting (often I met noone) and I am not used to it... the nature, the animals... the scenery... the flow of the ideas... something like walking-meditation... no responsibility for anything but my basic needs (going with "my" speed, drinking enough, ...) ...
It is completely different to the life in a big town and probably I felt a small part of the fascination of the "real" Camino.

A similar route has been recommended by a gentleman who spends a month volunteering at the SdC Office. I think is post is only a couple of weeks old, if I recall correctly. It is a few extra km but it takes the Peregrino away from the Sarria to SdC circus.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Start watching Spanish channels, especially the news. It speeds up language absorption.

Thanks for your tipp.

I want to start watching Spanish channels or listening to Spanish radio channels as soon as possible. At the moment this is too difficult for me and I listen to Spanish where I have the Spanish words and the translation as written words as well.

Here is a thread with many Spanish (pilgrim) phrases and resources for learning Spanish:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/learning-easy-spanish.14029/

Today I finished the last point in duolingo Spanish. Overall progress is now 59%.
Now I want to repeat it to keep the duolingo bars golden.

I want to learn some phrases and use some of the immersion tips:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/immersion-spanish.51893/

I started with this interactive Spanish learning video... it is fun and for beginners as well:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/mividaloca/

Start watching Spanish channels, especially the news. It speeds up language absorption.
It is still a little bit too difficult for me. I tried a Spanish radio channel yesterday... I understand only some words, it is not enough to get the real context. I will listen to the birkenbihl language cd where I have the Spanish and German texts as well. The Spanish channels should follow in some weeks or a few months.

My plan is to improve my Spanish until about March. Then I want to try to talk with friends who speak Spanish.
https://conversationexchange.com/ seems to be a great idea as well: Meeting native speakers in real life or e. g. by skype.

Hopefully I will be able to have simple Spanish conversations on my Camino in August.

Last edited:
I have training walks several times a week (with my equipment, backpack, ...)... but in most cases only 30 to 60 minutes.

Some weeks ago I had 2 training walks in 2 days (or about 28 hours, the first day was more or less a night-walk) with a combined distance of about 44km. My feelings on the second day reached from "I could go on forever" to "Oh, what it this f... pain in my leg. Will I be able to go home?" half an hour later. I was glad that the pain went away as fast as it came. On the next day it would have been fun to go on.
Lesson learned: Do not push too hard. Especially if I really want to go...

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I changed my camino description from "From Somport to SdC" to "From Somport". Of course I want to reach SdC... well, I want to reach Finisterre as well... but I think, I cannot really control how far I will get. Of course I can train well and I can be careful not to push too hard... but there are many things that I cannot control... and probably I should try to control almost nothing on my Camino but go with the flow... and then I will come as far as I come in the next summer.

I ordered my credential and a map of Spain for the family at home.
I have now a new smartphone (outdoor smartphone) with GPS that is extremely good compared with my old smartphone (GPS was more or less not usable there). OpenStreetMap-maps of Spain are installed. Camino-GPS-tracks as well.

Of course my Spanish knowledge is still... little.

I do small training walks with my backpack several times a week.

Starting date will probably a little bit earlier: about July, the 15th.

Last edited:
I've gone from never walking to doing a few 5-10 mile walks each week ready for my Camino in April 18.. my Spanish isn't great but I'm focusing on learning the words for wine,bed,help and hospital.. I'm also trying to learn the phrase "please help me, these aren't tears of joy" joking aside, I can't wait to get started.. 5 weeks to go !!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@andywild : I like your blog. It's funny. Buen Camino!

I have got my credential now.
Starting date in Somport should be July, the 13th. Friday, the 13th...

Well, I knew that I wanted to walk again as I was still in Santiago de Compostela.
It took some time because of my family and my job ... but now I plan my second Camino for about 3 weeks from the end of August 2020. At the moment it should be the Camino Primitivo & Camino de Fisterra. Starting in Oviedo... or maybe a little bit closer to Santiago de Compostela... depending on the exact timetable.
It is okay for my family and I got an 'OK' in the job... only the formal 'OK' from the job is still missing.

Buy-list:
* Shoes: After more than 1000km on my first camino and many small training walks afterwards is it time to get new trail runners for the second camino.
* Poles: The Camino Primitivo seems to be rather hilly from that what I have seen. I want to buy new light poles that fit into my backpack for transport.
* Powerbank. I always felt safe (after the first few days) that I could charge my smartphone in the albergue on my first camino because I can trust all the other pilgrims. But SYates told me (from her work as hospitalera), that there are cases of theft... and of course "everybody" can go into an albergue - not only pilgrims. So buying a powerbank for charging (and not leaving my smartphone unobserved ) should be the only real difference on my packing list and on my camino. There are light powerbanks... about 60gr or less. Another advantage is that I do not need a longer cable for charging my smartphone - something that I missed on my first camino when I charged the smartphone and used it at the same time and had to be close to the power socket.
I think it is good not to leave the valuables alone (because non-pilgrims can go into the alburgue) as well as trust completely all the pilgrims I meet.
* Smartphone charger with more than one port - that I do not occupy the power socket on my own.

So I still have much time for planning, buying, training, dreaming and waiting... and trying to improve my bad Spanish.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have bought my new shoes today.
Hopefully I can use them on a Camino in Spain for about 3 weeks in September this year...
most of my other gear I have as well... especially the camping equipment for the emergency cases.

I have really enjoyed reading this tread - so nice "running" into andywild, he hasn't posted on the Forum for some time.
Thanks for the tips regarding learning Spanish, I'm doing Duolingo too, I really like it and I've learned quiet a lot - at least I feel more confident speaking Spanish now.
All the best to you, martin1ws and buen camino.

Flight is booked for Munich - Bilbao (Sep, the 1st) und Bilbao - Munich (Sep, the 23rd). I want to start in Oviedo.
Feels a little bit like gambling this year...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sometimes we forget that life itself has a 100% mortality rate. We don’t know what, where or when.

just be sensible and get on with it, this isn’t a rehearsal.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Flight to Spain (Bilbao) booked... Sep, 2nd - Sep 18th.
Maybe part of the Camino Frances or part of the Camino Primitivo.
Looks better than 2020, but you never know.

Why in September, Martin? Can't you go now?

I think we have enough experience with the so called UK or 'Kent' variant last year that we can predict how the Delta will spread and more or less when this will happen.
I'm going for the Camino Frances in early July and I hope that I'll be lucky to finish it (within a month) before Delta spills out.

Don't delay. Carpe Diem. And memento mori ;)

Why in September, Martin? Can't you go now?

Don't delay. Carpe Diem. And memento mori ;)
No, I can't go now... I am glad to have this time slot with the constraints of my job, my family and my children.
If I cannot go in Spain I want to go somewhere else... maybe in Germany again.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was not really happy with my plan B: to do the camino in Germany again from my doorstep like last year...
I think continuing from the last endpoint in Lindau is more of an adventure... and then it is part of the multi-year project of a camino from my doorstep to Santiago. So this time it would be Switzerland as a plan B. There the corona cases are still very few at the moment. There should not be many pilgrims on the Camino in Switzerland... so it should be a good fall back option if I cannot go to Spain because of Corona.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back