• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning your trip...

IsabelaHapsburg

For those of you who have already done the walk, how did you go about planning the trip?

Did you make an itinerary? Or plan to walk so far each day?

Also how do you ensure that you have a bed?

Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Planning your trip

I prefer to have an idea of where I would like to stop each day. This year I have planned to walk an average of 20kms per day by using http://www.godesalco.com. On this website you can choose how far you want to walk each day and the website offers a printed itinerary with mileages, progressive mileage, symbols for accommodation available etc. It also offers a print out of every town and village so even if you walk further you know where the refuges are. You can also download a profile of the route you are walking.
There is no way of ensuring a bed if you plan to stay in the refuges but there are usually small hostales or fondas to stay in if the albergue is full.

I was very careful in planning what to take with me, but didn't plan an itinerary more than a day or two in advance. That way, I could easily vary the distance walked based on how I felt at the time. I had some 10km days, and some 35km days. I doubt I would have planned either in advance.

You can't do much to guarantee that you'll get a bed, but it's really not worth worrying about. You'll find somewhere to sleep, even if it's on the floor somewhere.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've got a rough idea but only based it on having done it all before:

SJPdP - Roncesvalles
Roncesvalles - Larrasoana
Larrasoana - Cizur Minor
Cizur Minor - Puenta la Reina
Puenta la Reina - Estella
Estella - Los Arcos
Los Arcos - Logrono
Logrono - Najera
Najera - Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo - Belorado
Belorado - Atapuerca (or possibly Cardenuela Riopica)
Atapuerca - Burgos or Tarjados
Burgos - Castrojeriz
Castrojeriz - Fromista
Fromista - Carrion de los Condes
Carrion de los Condes - Terradillos (or if I'm feeling stupid Sahagun)
Terradillos - El Burgo Ranero
El Burgo Ranero - Leon
Leon - San Martin
San Martin - Astorga
Astorga - Foncebadon
Foncebadon - Ponferrada
Ponferrada - Villafranca whatsitsname
Villafranca - La Faba or O Cebriero
La Faba - Triacastela
Triacastela - Barbadelo
Barbadelo - Hospital de la Cruz
Hospital de la Cruz - Melide (or somewhere else that's less grotty!)
Melide - Pedrouza
Pedrouza - ... SANTIAGO!

:arrow:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back