• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plans and dates set - advice please

Robert Carmichael

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues
So, I have settled on flying to Madrid Friday August 31 from Toronto which brings me into Madrid early am Saturday September 1. Travel via train to my starting point and walk to Santiago until September 6.
Assuming I am at the starting point X the afternoon of September 1, I could walk a couple of hours to my first stop and I figure I can do 20-25 K per day.
I would have Friday September 7 to enjoy Santiago and make my way back to Madrid for the return trip September 8.
Any comment, advice is welcome and gracefully appreciated.

I hope this trip will be a prelude to future trips covering the entire Camino, I just cannot afford the time yet.
Thanks in advance

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Robert, I'd say train to Sarria, walk the last 100KM and get your Compostela. You will need two stamps a day for this by the way. The stages would more than likely be Sarria > Portomarin > Palas De Rei > Ribadiso > Pedrouzo Arca > SdC. I hope this helps and Buen Camino :)

Sounds like you have a plan! I think your only problem may be jetlag for the first couple days. I have used rome2rio.com for travel information and planning my Caminos.
I have gone directly from the Madrid airport to the Madrid-Chamartin train station and on to my starting point on the CF without going into the centre of Madrid. Going home, you can fly or take a train (6hrs) from Santiago to Madrid. I have usually stayed overnight in Madrid at the Urban Sea Atocha 113 hotel, a simple and friendly hotel, only a 7min walk to the Atocha train station where you can take an airport bus (30min) or the metro/train (1hr) to the airport in the morning. My flights from Madrid to Toronto have usually departed at ~9:30a.m. Because your timeline is tight, I suggest you have all your tickets in hand before you leave Toronto.
PS. Walking from Logroño to Burgos is a beautiful five-day walk and it would be easier and cheaper to get from Madrid to Logroño and to get back to Madrid from Burgos. Just an idea... I hope this is just the first of many future Camino adventures.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks, should not my first Camino end in Santiago ? It seems feeling the triumph of those that have done the whole thing may be worth the trip

Thanks, should not my first Camino end in Santiago ? It seems feeling the triumph of those that have done the whole thing may be worth the trip
Not at all. It has taken many of us many return trips to make it to Santiago. Plus, the routes are much nicer further away from Santiago. And until you have been to Santiago you will want to go back and walk some more.

Ok, if for religious resasons the whole purpose of your Camino is to get to Santiago and this is the one and only time you will be able to do so, then by all means, otherwise I would advise spending as much time as possible getting closer, but not arriving.

Plus, it can be quite a downer to arrive in Santiago: loss of walking companions, facing the reality of having to go back to the rat race, all these unknown faces after knowing jist about everyone on the trail. Santiago is a beautiful city, the cathedral mesmerizing, but being there at the end of a wonderful experience can be hard, and sad.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Only a week but don't be pressured. Take your time, admire the view, enjoy Pamploma and if you make it also Logroño, The Camino is a spiritual journey into yourself - for sure; a lot of fun - of course. Don't hurry down the Camino because it's there. Slow and sure for the Camino is a thousand years old, it will still be here next year, next decade, and after you retire whenever you decide to return,

Sounds like you have a plan! I think your only problem may be jetlag for the first couple days. I have used rome2rio.com for travel information and planning my Caminos.
I have gone directly from the Madrid airport to the Madrid-Chamartin train station and on to my starting point on the CF without going into the centre of Madrid. Going home, you can fly or take a train (6hrs) from Santiago to Madrid. I have usually stayed overnight in Madrid at the Urban Sea Atocha 113 hotel, a simple and friendly hotel, only a 7min walk to the Atocha train station where you can take an airport bus (30min) or the metro/train (1hr) to the airport in the morning. My flights from Madrid to Toronto have usually departed at ~9:30a.m. Because your timeline is tight, I suggest you have all your tickets in hand before you leave Toronto.
PS. Walking from Logroño to Burgos is a beautiful five-day walk and it would be easier and cheaper to get from Madrid to Logroño and to get back to Madrid from Burgos. Just an idea... I hope this is just the first of many future Camino adventures.

I think I will do this, thanks

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back