• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plans for 2017...

Alex Krizel

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Way (2017)*

* I hope!
Greetings all.

First post here.

I hope to walk the Portuguese Way in 2017.
I was wondering who here has done it and what advice you can give.

I was planning on October.
I wanted to start in Porto and end at SdC (obvees).
Reason for October?
Less people.
Also, I am not a fan of heat, so summer is out for me.

Is this a good time to go?
What should I know for the trip?
I am thinking of taking 2 weeks from work, and leaving on a Saturday and returning on a Saturday.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thank you all!

Alex
:D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Alex , welcome to the forum, October is a great month to walk and 2 weeks is lots of time to get to Santiago from Porto. I would recommend either taking the metro to Matosinhos or start at the cathedral make your way to the river Duro and follow it to the sea then head north. Are you taking the costal or the inland route? Whatever route you take, there won't be a fraction of the pilgrims you'd find on the Frances. There are a lot of posts on the Portuguse Way here that you can use for research
Bom Caminho

Hi Alex and let me also welcome you to the forum.

I've been leading tours on the Camino Português for several years now. I've been on the Way during Spring, Summer and Fall. Just this past July I lead a group of pilgrims to Santiago for the St. James Day Celebrations. And in 2017 I will be leading a group on the coastal route during Semana Santa (Easter Week) which will arrive in Santiago on the Saturday before Easter.

Portugal has a beautiful climate and the temperatures are moderate even during the summer. Spring is lovely because everything is beginning to bloom, the grapevines are filling in with leaves and the beginnings of the grapes. Summer brings bountiful flora and not such overwhelmingly hot temperatures. And Fall is delightful as well, with the harvest in full swing. No matter which season you choose, I can guarantee there won't be many other pilgrims on the trail. The Camino Português is far less crowded than the Camino Francés, which in my humble opinion makes for it to be a much more spiritual Camino.

If you have any specific questions feel free to message me. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Arlène

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for your replies.
I hope to do more research in the upcoming months and if it looks like I can undertake the journey, I'll start saving for it.
Is there a guidebook for the portion from Porto to Santiago de Compostela?
Having never done anything of this magnitude, I am thinking of where to stop along the way, food, water, etc.
Also, how much money is involved for a 2 week journey (to cover lodging food, etc.).
I'm hoping October is pretty dry.
I plan to take along a 30L pack with clothes and some odds and ends.
Any suggestions would be most welcome and appreciated.
Thank you again.

Alex

Thank you for your replies.
I hope to do more research in the upcoming months and if it looks like I can undertake the journey, I'll start saving for it.
Is there a guidebook for the portion from Porto to Santiago de Compostela?
Having never done anything of this magnitude, I am thinking of where to stop along the way, food, water, etc.
Also, how much money is involved for a 2 week journey (to cover lodging food, etc.).
I'm hoping October is pretty dry.
I plan to take along a 30L pack with clothes and some odds and ends.
Any suggestions would be most welcome and appreciated.
Thank you again.

Alex
When you read on this forum you will find all your answers , posted by many experienced peregrinos and peregrinas.
In the various subforums you'll find information about the many ways, leading to Santiago from Portugal.
In the subforum "resources" you can download Johnny Walker's guide,with the experiences of pilgrims written by forummember @peregrina2000 aka Laurie Reynolds .please make a donation for this excellent work before downloading.
At Ivar's webshop here on the forum you can buy John Brierley's guide ,camino Portugues. I thought by ordering this book you get a free credential to collect your stamps you need to get a Compostela certificate in Santiago and to get access to pilgrim albergues.

In the subforum albergues ,hostals, hotels and private lodging you can read about this matter .
Beside this forum you'll find everything about all above mentioned in the guides of Johhny Walker and John Brierley. You will allways find a bed.
Everywhere on the caminho are restaurants, bars, paderias(panaderias in Spain) where you can buy your food,drinks etc.
Only on the stage Ponte de Lima to Rubiães it is advised to take some food and top off your water because partly it is an accending and decending off road stage.
Furthermore about this there is no bother.

On the subforum equipment you can read about backpacks, inventorylists of what you need or not need. Thousands of usefull postst.

Happy reading on this forum and bom caminho

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back