• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plans for 2021?

That would be great news indeed, but headlines are changing continually and even the reliable sources are often unreliable as the days tick on.
For what it's worth, both speeches - the earlier one by Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez at the Organización Mundial del Turismo event and the more recent one by Tourism Minister Reyes Maroto at the El futuro del sector turístico event are available online.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks to the multiple informed and nuanced replies in this thread, the Camino is now off my "to-do list" for a handful of years at least.

While I retain a faint hope of walking into Santiago on my 70th birthday, a small handful of years from now, "faint" is what it will remain for some time. I will have to be content being there vicariously through the Forum.

My wife will be happy.

My pack will be eminently displeased. Yep, that's right, I am about to have 'emotional baggage'. ;)

B

I live in Hawaii which, as you all know, is highly dependent on tourism for its economy. Since we are an island, we have had an easier time containing the virus within (make no mistake, it is still lethal and destructive) but have no control over the bottom dropping out of our tourism industry. The health and safety of residents is a primary concern of a government and, much as I am heartbroken, I agree with any local authorities who prevent visitors from visiting Spain until safety is restored.
I had planned a CF for last spring with my daughter (her first, my third). I think it is reasonable for me to plan for the spring of 2022. I wanted to avoid the Holy Year. At any rate, it will probably take me that long to get used to being outside and walking distances again, lol.
👣👣👣

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I live in Hawaii which, as you all know, is highly dependent on tourism for its economy. Since we are an island, we have had an easier time containing the virus within (make no mistake, it is still lethal and destructive) but have no control over the bottom dropping out of our tourism industry. The health and safety of residents is a primary concern of a government and, much as I am heartbroken, I agree with any local authorities who prevent visitors from visiting Spain until safety is restored.
I had planned a CF for last spring with my daughter (her first, my third). I think it is reasonable for me to plan for the spring of 2022. I wanted to avoid the Holy Year. At any rate, it will probably take me that long to get used to being outside and walking distances again, lol.
👣👣👣
You may not have heard that the pope has extended the Holy Year through 2022, so that is likely to be a busy year, too,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ahhh, may hope spring eternal.

It does all remain to be seen.

That said, it seems totally human to speculate about when-to-go in such uncertain and trying times as a global pandemic. For now, I try to employ pilgrimage-in-place philosophies that so many of you generously share here and elsewhere. The pleasure of seeing other photos, sharing memories, fears and fervent wishes, hope and faith is something that sustains at best, and hopefully comforts at least in such a prolonged time of uncertainty.

So yes, Itoo hope soon as possible and safe to do so - while trying to keep faith that the Camino lore of providing what a pilgrim needs works remotely as much as in-situ on one of its many trails.

Take care and take heart,
Catherine

I believe most of us have a hypothetical plan when to go. I will wait until June to see if I can book a flight in August having been vaccinated and feel carefree because I am welcomed at the other end?

As I wrote on another thread

So, right now I'm just hoping. I will make plans when the answers to my questions are clear.
That's where I am, too. I much prefer spring, but will do another fall Camino if necessary. I get my second Covid shot in a few days. Which Camino are you looking at Trecile?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That's where I am, too. I much prefer spring, but will do another fall Camino if necessary.
Same with me, Jill. I have only walked spring camino's and one in June and loved all the fresh new green leaves sprouting as the days go by. I will happily move my dates to the fall IF that is the next safe possibility as I've been curious as to the differences the fall colors would bring.

Same with me, Jill. I have only walked spring camino's and one in June and loved all the fresh new green leaves sprouting as the days go by. I will happily move my dates to the fall IF that is the next safe possibility as I've been curious as to the differences the fall colors would bring.
You will enjoy a fall Camino Chris. Beautiful colours .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Which Camino are you looking at Trecile?
My plan for last year was the Norte/Primitivo in September, so if possible that's what I'll do this year.
If I have to wait until 2022 then the VdlP in the Spring and maybe return in September for the Norte/Primitivo.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have 2020 bookings (paid for) which were move to a 2021 date. So it will be groundhog day again if the virus is still here in May or August.

Won't be the only one.
Same here!

Have 2020 bookings (paid for) which were move to a 2021 date. So it will be groundhog day again if the virus is still here in May or August.

Won't be the only one.

We can plan all we want. Good military adage here: No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.
The enemy in this case is multi-faceted. COVID-19, availability of vaccine, international travel restrictions and politics.
That said, prior to contact with the enemy: be flexible with jump off date, inspect your gear, train to depart at a moment’s notice and, most of all, understand that the Camino is in charge. All will happen as it should.
Just received notice I will receive my Covid vaccine on February 1 with the second on February 22.
I am scheduled for a ten-day trip starting February 24 to Vermont to walk, make snowmen and angels and take a nighttime sleigh ride. Holding thumbs I have little or no adverse effects.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Me too Chrissy, same with me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering whether anyone was planning their camino for 2021 yet? I am wanting to walk the whole of the French Camino from mid July through August. I am a teacher, so this is my only available time. I want to get excited but with this virus thing, I feel I have to hold back. Has anyone made any plans yet?
Angie (Spiritual Lady)
We are planning our 2nd Camino Frances starting on August 28, 2021. I have booked airfares (refundable) as well as booking.com for accommodation for the entire Camino. I am keeping everything crossed that it works out. It keeps me going! 🤪 Obviously only if we can do it safely for both ourselves and our fabulous Spanish hosts.
Plan away...

I replanned my CP (Porto - SdC - Fisterra) for fall this year. Hopefully it will be possible later this year, easter-break is not possible, that is for sure!

BC
Roland

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My wife and I are leaving SJPDP on Aug. 28th. Had to cancel our 2020 plans. I had no problem booking the first 4 nights accommodationS. I can cancel everything last minute but I’m praying we can go.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You may not have heard that the pope has extended the Holy Year through 2022, so that is likely to be a busy year, too,
Thanks, yes, I had heard.

In fact, along with my donation to support the site, I have purchased my Pilgrim Passport for the 2021/2022 Holy Year from Ivar here. In fact, I have ordered more than one in the hope that my daughter might be willing to try again in 2022.

I wonder how the (hopefully) double whammy of a Holy Year plus many who would be catching up with postponed Caminos, will affect the availability of services along the routes, in light of so many having had to close recently.

It might be a good time to purchase that little albergue along the route you've had your eye on for years.

2021? No. I don't expect travel to be unrestricted this year.

2022? Loose plans at this stage. Who knows if we'll have it under control by then even.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm a Canadian, but I live in Spain now in Valencia. I walked the Camino Frances in 2017, and have been wanting to walk it again (or at least a part of it) for a while now. The situation in Spain right now is obviously not that great, so who knows what will happen. But if I can, I'm going to try to walk the first week of the camino again as soon as it opens in April. So if I manage to, I'll give people an update on how things are. Right now we can't move between regions, but hopefully by then we can and I can make my way to SJPDP.

I'm a Canadian, but I live in Spain now in Valencia. I walked the Camino Frances in 2017, and have been wanting to walk it again (or at least a part of it) for a while now. The situation in Spain right now is obviously not that great, so who knows what will happen. But if I can, I'm going to try to walk the first week of the camino again as soon as it opens in April. So if I manage to, I'll give people an update on how things are. Right now we can't move between regions, but hopefully by then we can and I can make my way to SJPDP.
I am a Canadian planning to walk the Levante from Valencia. I would love to hear what the camino situation is in Valencia, and when it opens up to walk the Levante.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am a Canadian planning to walk the Levante from Valencia. I would love to hear what the camino situation is in Valencia, and when it opens up to walk the Levante.
Right now Valencia is on pretty much lockdown. But feel free to message me in the future and I'll let you know how things are. Whenever I'm down in the old city I always stop and gander at the marker by the cathedral! Maybe one day I'll walk that one.

Thank you. I was just wondering about this. Good decision. But the combination of (hopefully) covid under control and a Holy Year will make 2022 extremely busy. At the same time there will be fewer albergues, because I am afraid that quite a lot can't survive two destroyed seasons in a row...

Am planning the Camino Portugués from Porto for this July for my birthday (26th July). I arrived in Santiago on the Feast of St James 2019, the eve of my 50th birthday. I was hoping this was to be an annual birthday Camino, but I shall have to decide closer to the Summer. I get my 2nd vaccine 30th March; I suspect we would need to prove full vaccination to travel in the future?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The time that is being given to us is precious for training, for the inner journey, or saving up our $$ to spend on cañas after a long day of walking!

No one can predict what will happen or when we can walk, just as much as we can predict who we will meet along our Camino. It's all unknown, so let's get used to not knowing, you know? ;)

Even assuming that 2021 will permit reasonable Camino-walks, I am afraid that the circumstances will create disappointments to those remembering their walks in previous years like me. An important part of my good memories of 5 "long ones" are the encounters with peregrinos from all over the world. In 2021, these will not happen as the risks and restrictions imposed will be too great for most pilgrims from overseas. Without the Aussies, the Kiwis, Canucks, Yanks, Koreans and other Asians, Brazilians, Mexicans, etc., etc., the atmosphere on the way will just not be the same.
I reckon that some will only start returning in 2022 and to avoid disappointment, so I will I.
Just having passed my 77th BD, I hope that I'll still have the strength by then. 🙄

How do other "veterans" see my concerns?
Agree with you, pepi. One can take only so much disappointment!
I have named 2020 The Year of Cancellations. It seemed that daily I was having to cancel something or it was being cancelled for me. It started making me nuts.
So I was surprised to find myself 2 weeks ago making reservations to fly to Europe in October 2021, knowing that most likely I will have to re-book for 2022. I wanted something to be excited about--I enjoy planning.
The thrill has worn off now, what with the shortage of vaccine and the variants popping up all over. Maybe in a few weeks things will change enough and I can have something to look forward to this year. For awhile anyway.

Thanks to the multiple informed and nuanced replies in this thread, the Camino is now off my "to-do list" for a handful of years at least.

While I retain a faint hope of walking into Santiago on my 70th birthday, a small handful of years from now, "faint" is what it will remain for some time. I will have to be content being there vicariously through the Forum.

My wife will be happy.

My pack will be eminently displeased. Yep, that's right, I am about to have 'emotional baggage'. ;)

B
Very wise decision ,to many people have died with the virus.

€83,-
Hi Duane! Good to "see" you again. This post just put a huge smile on my face! I still remember our semi-anxious dinner in SJPDP the evening before we set out for Route Napoleon. Can't believe you are living in Spain now. I hope to get back there and walk Del Norte as soon as it is safe to do so.

Hi Duane! Good to "see" you again. This post just put a huge smile on my face! I still remember our semi-anxious dinner in SJPDP the evening before we set out for Route Napoleon. Can't believe you are living in Spain now. I hope to get back there and walk Del Norte as soon as it is safe to do so.
Hey! Nice to hear from you! I think about that group from the start often - what a great experience. Yes I live in Valencia now.

In terms of my plans, the Camino Levante actually starts in Valencia, so I may chip that one out slowly for the first few stages (do a stage, train back, do another stage later on, train back), only because we can't move between provinces now, but it would still be nice to walk a bit.

The del Norte is pretty high up on my list, as is rewalking some of the Frances. My original plan was to head back to SJPDP this year if COVID ever lets up and possibly walk to Burgos - I really loved the the first ten days (I loved all of it, but walking over the Pyranees and then drinking wine in Rioja was so lovely). I think I may end up doing the Primitivo this year though, and then possibly walking the entire Frances again in April/May next year - five years since we all did it that last time. I celebrated my birthday on the trail, so it would be sort of cool to celebrate another one, five years later, and re-experience it all again a second time.

Look me up if you ever come to Spain, I'll be here!

I intend to walk in late May 2021. Tickets have been bought. But I understand I might have to cancel in the last moment if quarantine is enforced by that time. I keep my fingers crossed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey! Nice to hear from you! I think about that group from the start often - what a great experience. Yes I live in Valencia now.

In terms of my plans, the Camino Levante actually starts in Valencia, so I may chip that one out slowly for the first few stages (do a stage, train back, do another stage later on, train back), only because we can't move between provinces now, but it would still be nice to walk a bit.

The del Norte is pretty high up on my list, as is rewalking some of the Frances. My original plan was to head back to SJPDP this year if COVID ever lets up and possibly walk to Burgos - I really loved the the first ten days (I loved all of it, but walking over the Pyranees and then drinking wine in Rioja was so lovely). I think I may end up doing the Primitivo this year though, and then possibly walking the entire Frances again in April/May next year - five years since we all did it that last time. I celebrated my birthday on the trail, so it would be sort of cool to celebrate another one, five years later, and re-experience it all again a second time.

Look me up if you ever come to Spain, I'll be here!
I am still hoping to walk the Levante from Valencia to Zamora to Santiago on the VdlP/Sanabres. But if my situation changes and I must walk a later and shorter walk, I am thinking that the Salvador/Primitivo would be a possibility for a short walk in the late fall. I really don't want to give up my plans for walking this year.

My Primitivo for 2020 was canceled so I'm *hoping* I can make it this year but that's not looking great the way things are going. But I'm hopeful!

Nope. No plans. No point under the present circumstances. We’ll be in this quagmire for a long time is my guess. Just holding on but I will be the first to fly when the borders do open and when it is safe. Many like me no doubt, just waiting and counting.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just got my first shot yesterday and the second shot of Pfizer vaccine is scheduled for March 5th. No reaction to first shot! I have a lot of allergies, so am happy things went well and hope everyone else is doing well with the shots...and that you all can get them soon!

We are still hoping for a Camino September 21, but we will adjust to a later date...even a winter Camino on the Invierno. Thanks to @peregrina2000, @VNwalking, @Albertagirl, @ranthr, @CaroleH, @Theatregal, @C clearly, @alansykes, @Annette london, @Charrito, @Raggy, @filly, @MJB and anyone else who contributed and who I mistakenly left out for their contributions. I am almost done planning it and will, for the most part, limit our walking to circa 20 km a day...with a few days less that we can explore.

This camino could be a good alternative in the winter of 2022. See https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/plans-for-2021.68961/page-2#post-900411 This thread provides a wealth of recent information including accommodation recommendations, sites to visit which are often accompanied by terrific pictures on this walk. There is also an Invierno guide 2019 in the resource section of this website which has lots of detailed helpful information. In addition, Brierley has published a new guide (2020) which includes both the Camino Sanabres and Camino Invierno. So we are planning on doing The Invierno in 2021 or 2022. We are snail walkers. There are some mountain ranges but no worse, than one could likely encounter on the CF. And we have come up with a couple of alternative routes for those days without cafes or bars. It seems quite doable for us snails. We are psyched!

Last edited:
Hi Duane! Good to "see" you again. This post just put a huge smile on my face! I still remember our semi-anxious dinner in SJPDP the evening before we set out for Route Napoleon.
Hey! Nice to hear from you! I think about that group from the start often - what a great experience.
Oh, I love it when that happens, a camino reunion on the forum! A few years ago, I had a similar experience — turns out that @mla1 and I had met on my very first Camino in 2000 and had lost contact. Somehow she found her way to the forum a few years ago, and we had a virtual reunion. In person would be nicer, but this is what we’ve got while in lockdown.

Was due to finish the northern camino from Gijon starting end of May 2021 - cancelled this. Will re-access later in the year to see if sept/oct will be possible but wouldn't be surprised if 2021 is a non-runner.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering whether anyone was planning their camino for 2021 yet? I am wanting to walk the whole of the French Camino from mid July through August. I am a teacher, so this is my only available time. I want to get excited but with this virus thing, I feel I have to hold back. Has anyone made any plans yet?
Angie (Spiritual Lady)
Me too from Hungary. I hope we can go 😥🙏

This is the time to look inwards and to find the Camino that sits within.
No point in thrashing about, it ain't gonna happen.
Sometimes you can find joy in a grain of sand.
Look again.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sadly it was to be expected but happy to go with what’s best for Spain after all it has been caring for the Camino for centuries and will continue to do so long after we’re gone. So plan B (sept/Oct) it is with a trip along the West Highland Way and the Great Glen Way to tide me over until then....buen camino mi amigos
Both Scottish walks beautiful done them

For 2021 I don't agree. IMHO the travelban is active until May, 1st.
The State of Alarm is set to expire on May 9th -- there was a question of some Regions perhaps opening up a bit more after April 9th ; though there has been a bit of an uptake in mortality in recent days, so we'll see what decisions are made later this week. Wasn't personally counting on that date anyway, too early for more than one reason.

The situation is likely to improve anyway during the hotter weather end of Spring & Summer, as respiratory diseases always go into abeyance during that period (for several reasons off topic in this forum).

But this will be not much help to those pilgrims who need to do a lot of advance planning (including planning their free time), nor to those outside the EU who may be under travel restrictions unaffected by particular conditions in Spain.

And I would be hesitant to support those planning any Caminos later than early Autumn, as the 2021-2022 Respiratory Diseases Season will start in October-November, and likely to be still dominated by Covid19.

A 2021 Camino may only be feasible for those geographically close enough and with time enough on their hands generally (or otherwise capable of quick reaction) to be able to just pack up and go on short notice, whenever the situation shall have opened up.

I have booked a holiday gite for a week in July near Oloron Sainte Marie - we live in SW France and our plan is to travel down with food/bedding/supplies and do day walks along the Aragones. The problem will be if we need a negative test to cross into Spain... if so we'll just stick to day walks in the area in France. We will both have received our vaccines by then and we hope also have our EU Health Passport.

I have flights already booked for Chile in November... I'm not at all confident that will happen but a girl can dream!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Everyone,
Angie (Spiritual Lady)
Hi Angie,

I wanted to travel to SJPdP last year and postponed to this year but my priority will be as below before and during:
  1. Get vaccinated
  2. Get fit to be able to walk at least 20kms a day :D
  3. Check that Spain is vaccinating its population at a steady rate
  4. Travel responsibly by taking all precautions so as not to cary the virus along the way and;
  5. get tested on the way at least once a week and abort the camino if needed
I would hate to be a carrier and infect other people, the camino will always be there and if I have to delay by another year then so be it.

Best of luck and buen camino! 👍

I am planning to walk the Primitivo again this year, it was an awesome route last year. I will be living in Canary Islands from August for a year as my girlfriend has a "study abroad year", so hopefully the travel between Spain and Canary Islands will be okay.

I will be walking with my mom and my girlfriend will join us for the last few days in Lugo.

The plan is to meet my mom in Madrid on the 17th of September as she is flying from Czech Republic, then we take a plane to Asturias and bus to Oviedo.

The camino program is nothing fancy, walk the Primitivo, spend a day in Santiago and go back, as always we have 1 day extra for unexpected situations.

Hi Everyone,
Angie (Spiritual Lady)
I am seeing it opening up. I am a teacher also. I hope to go in early August. Good luck to you!
Derek

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

€83,-
I am from the States and have had my Tix and plans for 6 months now. Hiking July. Have faith😍🙏
Where will you arrive? Madrid? I am wanting to buy my tickets soon but am waiting to hear from other pilgrims from America who will head over to the Camino this summer. I'm interested to hear about your plans.
Thanks!

I am seeing it opening up. I am a teacher also. I hope to go in early August. Good luck to you!
Derek
Hey Derek. I am also a teacher and hoping to go this summer. I'm feeling like I should purchase a flight soon. Just wondering if you're planning the CF? Did you get your plane ticket yet? I am eager but cautious....
Lynne

€83,-
Hey Derek. I am also a teacher and hoping to go this summer. I'm feeling like I should purchase a flight soon. Just wondering if you're planning the CF? Did you get your plane ticket yet? I am eager but cautious....
Lynne
Hi Lynn, I have not bought my ticket yet. I am cautious also, and I have the same feeling. I should book it soon or the flights may be terrible. I did the Frances route two years ago, and I may redo it. But the Mesata was hard on my feet, so I am considering la plata or possibly primotivo. I feel so far behind, being without a ticket, but news changes daily. Eager and cautious, that is where I am at also.
Derek

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.