• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plantar Fasciitis has returned...Update

Angie94

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - 2016 www.angie-carter.com/camino
https://youtu.be/PtE_hvREZc4
Some have inquired as to how my plantar fasciitis (which kicked up recently) is doing with less than two weeks to go for the start of my camino, so thought I would do an update in case this can help anyone else who may be facing the same situation.
First off, I decided to get new boots...I know, not recommended TWO weeks before take off, and also having already broke in my faithful tried and true all leather 'old school' hiking boots which I was NEVER going to leave without...ahhhh Camino lessons have thus begun. I don't like change - especially when I am "attached" to something, but I have learned to be a bit willing to accept there may be a better way...a better idea...a better solution, so with that being said I have been paying attention to the experience of the women on this awesome forum and several had mentioned HOKA ONE ONE boots. So I bit the bullet and bought a pair. All I can say is -- wow -- it is like walking on a cloud with these boots! (at least for me it is) I really like them :) Took them out for a 9 mile trial hike with full pack and was able to come home, go grocery shopping AND cut the grass - front and back! They are amazing boots. My legs and feet feel very different as opposed to my other boots. I do not know how long they will hold up nor if they are good in soppy, wet, raining sideways conditions but we'll see. I am glad I bought them. It doesn't feel like there will be any spots that may cause a blister but I need some more time in them to check it out further. Here is some info about them:
  • Supple, durable nubuck and suede leather uppers
  • eVent® waterproof, breathable full-bootie membrane keeps feet dry
  • Late-stage Meta-Rocker geometry delivers a smooth ride
  • Technical midfoot geometry is designed to increase underfoot stability on uneven terrain
  • Full-length EVA and RMAT midsoles provide cushioning and stability
  • Vibram® MegaGrip high-traction outsoles have 5mm lugs
I have also bought a pair of foot sleeves but they have not arrived yet, so I can't comment on if they help, but I will try them.
In addition, I have been doing lots of stretches (all different kinds, foot...calf...hamstring) and I took a long cylinder shaped water bottle, filled it up and froze it and rolled my foot back and forth over it - seemed to help with the inflammation.
Overall, my foot is 75% better and I am SO happy!!
These tips, ideas and product suggestions have all come from the people on this forum.
Thank you to all who take the time and effort to write posts with great ideas that are so helpful to us who are experiencing problems or don't know what we are doing!! HAH!boots socks DONE.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Glad to hear you're improving! Another thing that helped me, when I had a bout of it some years ago, was to stop walking barefoot around the house. I do a lot of barefoot training (martial arts) and that works well, but frequently standing barefoot on hard tiles for an hour cooking something complicated turned out to be a bad thing.

@HeidiL Also had to stop walking barefoot due to collapsing arches and foot pain. I am loving oofos brand flip flops (they also make slides but they didn't fit me as well) that I wear as soon as I take off my boots on training hikes and instead of walking around barefoot. Excellent arch support and seems to relieve everything that hurts.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Love that you are loving the Hokas. Leaving with mine next week; fingers crossed.

As for walking barefoot, a big no no if suffering from PF. Birkies as slippers or house shoes are great. Just saw new EVA models in a store window in new funky colours! Perfect for Camino wear.

Good luck with the Hokas and don't forget to stretch.

Good to hear you're on the improve and will be able to set off in two weeks. Just keep stretching!!

Some have inquired as to how my plantar fasciitis (which kicked up recently) is doing with less than two weeks to go for the start of my camino, so thought I would do an update in case this can help anyone else who may be facing the same situation.
First off, I decided to get new boots...I know, not recommended TWO weeks before take off, and also having already broke in my faithful tried and true all leather 'old school' hiking boots which I was NEVER going to leave without...ahhhh Camino lessons have thus begun. I don't like change - especially when I am "attached" to something, but I have learned to be a bit willing to accept there may be a better way...a better idea...a better solution, so with that being said I have been paying attention to the experience of the women on this awesome forum and several had mentioned HOKA ONE ONE boots. So I bit the bullet and bought a pair. All I can say is -- wow -- it is like walking on a cloud with these boots! (at least for me it is) I really like them :) Took them out for a 9 mile trial hike with full pack and was able to come home, go grocery shopping AND cut the grass - front and back! They are amazing boots. My legs and feet feel very different as opposed to my other boots. I do not know how long they will hold up nor if they are good in soppy, wet, raining sideways conditions but we'll see. I am glad I bought them. It doesn't feel like there will be any spots that may cause a blister but I need some more time in them to check it out further. Here is some info about them:
  • Supple, durable nubuck and suede leather uppers
  • eVent® waterproof, breathable full-bootie membrane keeps feet dry
  • Late-stage Meta-Rocker geometry delivers a smooth ride
  • Technical midfoot geometry is designed to increase underfoot stability on uneven terrain
  • Full-length EVA and RMAT midsoles provide cushioning and stability
  • Vibram® MegaGrip high-traction outsoles have 5mm lugs
I have also bought a pair of foot sleeves but they have not arrived yet, so I can't comment on if they help, but I will try them.
In addition, I have been doing lots of stretches (all different kinds, foot...calf...hamstring) and I took a long cylinder shaped water bottle, filled it up and froze it and rolled my foot back and forth over it - seemed to help with the inflammation.
Overall, my foot is 75% better and I am SO happy!!
These tips, ideas and product suggestions have all come from the people on this forum.
Thank you to all who take the time and effort to write posts with great ideas that are so helpful to us who are experiencing problems or don't know what we are doing!! HAH!View attachment 25662
Angie, I'm just back from an 8km walk in my Hoka Tor Summit boots in the rain and mud and a misstep at the beach in a high tide.

I have now put >600kms in these boots, half with a pack of ~5kgs on fairly harsh and unforgiving ground and they are wearing well.

I am coming back from a navicular foot fracture and they have proved amazing for my rehab. I know that there have been other reviews that found these boots wanting but they are working well for me.

Hope that they continue to do so for you as well. Please report back and let us know how you went.

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
[QUOTE="
ATTACH=full]25662[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

I'm in the early stages of my preparation for the Camino Frances next May. Plantar Fasciitis has been a problem for me in recent years. Custom orthotics have helped a lot (I have very flat feet). I also have a frozen bottle roller as you do.

The plantar fasciitis had started to niggle a bit the last 3-4 weeks and then a couple of days ago my left foot got really sore ( I don't get heel pain instead I get pain in the ball of my foot).

Coincidently I had already arranged a massage with a Massage Therapist for that day to work on my back. I told her about the foot problem. She checked it out and told me I had a very tight soleus muscle - one of the calf muscles - this even though I'd been doing a lot of calf stretches. Anyway the Massage Therapist, the great Kerrie McGregor, is one tough Mamma and she basically smashed into my calf for about ten minutes. Next day that tighness in my fascia is very much on the way to resolving.

So my calves were as stretched as they could be but this didn't get rid of a lot of the tightness in my muscles. Massage is worth considering to get at deeper tightness that remains even in the stretched muscle. Not the incense/whalesong/back rub type of massage therapist. You want the type that really give you a working over. In Australia they tend to be called deep tissue or remedial or sports massages.

The other thing is that you can actually massage the muscles quite effectively yourself using a ball. I have attached a video that is a pretty good example of this approach to release "trigger points" in these muscles:

Hope that helps

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.