• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plantar fasciitis

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Many in the past and, God willing; more to come
Anybody care to help me pass the time whilst I wait for my regular physio to reply?

I’m only two days into the Camino de Madrid and my PF which has been fine for five years has just kicked in. I’d usually do 30km per day, whistling. I’m doing 20km and there’s a lot of profanity filling the countryside North of Madrid.

I’ve tried stretching, icing (ok cold beer cans), ibuprofen, drinking the (now warm) beer and it’s not working.

Tomorrow to Cercedilla will be fine - 3 x 6km - but the 31k over to Segovia just isn’t going to happen. There is a train and despite my wife’s opinion, I maintain that I’m not stupid.

whilst waiting for wise words, I’ll switch to Rioja and see if that helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ugh. Plantar facitis is a terrible affliction. Sounds like you are doing all of the self-care stuff you should be. Hopefully your doc will have some words of wisdom.

Anybody care to help me pass the time whilst I wait for my regular physio to reply?

I’m only two days into the Camino de Madrid and my PF which has been fine for five years has just kicked in. I’d usually do 30km per day, whistling. I’m doing 20km and there’s a lot of profanity filling the countryside North of Madrid.

I’ve tried stretching, icing (ok cold beer cans), ibuprofen, drinking the (now warm) beer and it’s not working.

Tomorrow to Cercedilla will be fine - 3 x 6km - but the 31k over to Segovia just isn’t going to happen. There is a train and despite my wife’s opinion, I maintain that I’m not stupid.

Skip the warm beer. There are some very nice Spanish brandies that are said to have superior pain-killing properties.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Skip the warm beer. There are some very nice Spanish brandies that are said to have superior pain-killing properties.

I think the rioja’s doing its best.

I downed a couple of ibuprofen without reading the instructions (I’m male, it’s a sign of weakness) only to find that Spanish standard is 400mg vs the UK’s 200. That’s probably contributing as well.

Ditch some weight. Slow down. Put some heel lifts in your boots. You are likely leaning forward as you walk which is presenting an unusual loading on a seriously complicated bunch of bone, tendon & muscle. An, not highly regarded, O.B. tutor, back when I still paid attention to such nonsense, recommended carrying my pack on my front. That changes the loading on all sorts of bits of your anatomy.

Steve Davis was actually an awesome tutor. After I'd made an "uncontrolled descent" on Crib Goch he recommended that I "find another hobby".

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And there's me trying to be practical. Brandy? Orujo! Orujo Blanco, straight, one-hit. Nothing compares ;)
I found that what helped with the PF I suffered from at the beginning of my 2016 Camino was developing knee issues. It seemed the body was only ready to concentrate on pain in a few areas at the same time. I don't recommend this solution for you, though.

I wasn’t going to go there, but to pile misery on misery I had a sudden attack of what Dave Bugg refers to as ‘monkey butt’; better known as ‘chef’s arse’ where I come from. (Females and those of a sensitive disposition might want to go elsewhere for a while) It did take my attention away from my foot for an hour but fortunately I’m carrying some trial sachets of ‘grizzly active’ which worked like a dream. I’d post photos, but Ivar would have to take the site down and bleach the servers.

I’m going to take Tinca’s advice in reverse order. I’m currently on licenced premises, so it’s too good an opportunity to miss.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I found that what helped with the PF I suffered from at the beginning of my 2016 Camino was developing knee issues. It seemed the body was only ready to concentrate on pain in a few areas at the same time. I don't recommend this solution for you, though.
Possibly something in this. My problems rotate ... some pains (I’ve still got a lot) seem to be unnoticeable when there is a new one acting up. In my case , the current one is ‘bulging discs and sciatica’. the plantar fasciitis , heel spurs and other injuries seem content to take a back-seat.

I empathise with you Henry, truly. I wish I could recommend some relief. I ‘kinda’ like Tinca’s advice about the heel elevation. Maybe your wife could sit opposite to you and give you some foot massage ?
Good luck for a slower? Buen camino
Annie

I have no personal experience, only some links and texts from this forum while you are waiting:

posting from davebugg (exercises, etc.):

plantar fasciitis
stretch, cool, rest, Vitamin B 12?

K-tape for an acute case. See videos on web for how to tape for PF.
K tape also has a lot of unverified claims. I’ve found it useless for shin splints and RSI in the forearm, but brilliantly useful for patellar tendinitis and PF. And the cost is low. Keeps me off ibuprofen too.

Get well soon and buen camino!

Possibly something in this. My problems rotate ... some pains (I’ve still got a lot) seem to be unnoticeable when there is a new one acting up. In my case , the current one is ‘bulging discs and sciatica’. the plantar fasciitis , heel spurs and other injuries seem content to take a back-seat.

I empathise with you Henry, truly. I wish I could recommend some relief. I ‘kinda’ like Tinca’s advice about the heel elevation. Maybe your wife could sit opposite to you and give you some foot massage ?
Good luck for a slower? Buen camino
Annie

You have clearly not met my wife - who I love dearly - but whom I generally refer to as ‘Head Office’ or ‘The leader of the opposition’.

I made the somewhat predictable error of buying the aged local gentleman next to me a shot (which seems to be about a quarter of a pint) of Orujo in addition to mine, and he reciprocated - but seemed to be charged substantially less.

it’s only due to the massively improved spellcheck facility that I’m able to communicate this.

I no longer need either a physio or podiatrist.

Does anyone know a decent gastro-intestinal consultant anywhere near Manzanares?

now it really is time for bed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have no personal experience, only some links and texts from this forum while you are waiting:

plantar fasciitis

K tape also has a lot of unverified claims. I’ve found it useless for shin splints and RSI in the forearm, but brilliantly useful for patellar tendinitis and PF. And the cost is low. Keeps me off ibuprofen too.

Thank you. That really is most kind.

@henrythedog, I trust it will be morning by the time you read this. You will have slept well and such distractions as plantar faciitis, and monkey bum are no longer significant challenges. My next advice is that, as the Dawn comes crashing over the horizon with the full Brass-section blare of a Bebop combo in free-fall, that you explain to the nearest camarero "necesito un cafe y un pequeño orujo".

They will understand... ;)

I had PF on my 2nd camino and did all the "stretches" and rolling on round objects but it didn't do anything to help. Then I can across a website that said that stretching and rolling wasn't the best method and they recommended the complete opposite, that is crunching you toes down and pulling the top of the foot down. Here is the link to the you tube video called The instant cure for plantar fasciitis. I thinking stretching is all good in preparation for walking say 6 months and leading up to a long walk but this worked for me when it happened.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sounds like you’ve gotten good advice. I struggling with their stateside, myself. My doc and pt has me doing everything you are doing. Make sure your insoles give your arch plenty of support (my doc recommended the green superfeet).
Geeking out—the pain in the morning (and evening) is scar tissue. The pain goes away as it breaks up over the course of the day. The stretching breaks up the scar tissue.

When all else fails, another shot of orujo.

Voltaren gel is an anti-infamation gel which works wonders on PF. It is available at a pharmacia and I use it for a few things. I discussed it with my doctor and she agreed. It took a few days for the swelling to go down, but it worked great.

Physio here: Low Dye taping :) lots of videos on youtube.

Evidence based and when done correctly completely offloads the PF. It's a short term solution but works well in addition to everything else you're doing. Sorry if this has been previously mentioned, I haven't read any other responses. Also if your skin is sensitive to rigid strapping tape, use a liner tape such as Fixomull Stretch underneath (you just do the same taping pattern with that first then repeat with the rigid tape over the top).
Tara

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@henrythedog, I trust it will be morning by the time you read this. You will have slept well and such distractions as plantar faciitis, and monkey bum are no longer significant challenges. My next advice is that, as the Dawn comes crashing over the horizon with the full Brass-section blare of a Bebop combo in free-fall, that you explain to the nearest camarero "necesito un cafe y un pequeño orujo".

They will understand... ;)

somewhat against the odds I seem to have survived the night. Forgive me for not taking your latest advice on this one occasion.

I did try many of the recommended stretches last night - although my balance wasn’t as good as usual for some strange reason - and I’ll do them again now.

the sensible course of action seems to be to walk slowly today to cercedilla where I can transfer straight to Segovia and have a rest day, stretch, find tape etc. Never had to do that before, but I’ll get over it.

Many thanks to all who took the time to reply.

I had an ongoing double case of plantar fasciitis from ages 17-38. My podiatrist told me that it would never heal until I quit my job. I wore Crocs in all non-work hours, which helped enormously. Then I quit my job, and approximately 6 months later I could walk normally again. I have a particularly keen interest in NOT getting it again.
I have been using these exercises, and they help:

best of luck: it's a PITA.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

[

Ola. I had plantar fascitis too. 3 pieces of advice. 1. Buy physio tape at a farmacia. I got a nice blue. Lasts for several days, waterproof. You wrap it around your arch, back around the back above the heel, and under and around the arch again. A nurse Peregrina showed me how. Lifesaver. Might be a video online about it. 2 you buy heel pads that slightly elevate your heel in your boot. Not thick ones, 1 mm this helps take strain off Achilles. You don’t want it to snap. Which can happen. And then you’d need surgery. 3. you go get 5 mg of steroids ( unless it is contraindicated for other health reasons) at the farmcia. Sometimes they have 4 mg. Don’t take forever, just to get over the worst. This is a low dose, but it worked better than NSAIDs to reduce inflammation for me. Speaking of NSAIDs, Spanish ones are high dose 800 mg so watch out, stomach wise and always take with food.
Last it seems you know the stretches. Be sure to stretch Achilles and calves as well also for me the towel grab with toe stretch helped a lot, as did the bend and straighten knee with foot touching against wall. Hope this helps! Burn Camino!

Well that’s it folks, credencial away for the time being, camino head off and holiday head on.

The 19k to cercedilla today was excruciating, and I’m fairly stoical with pain.

I was just about holding it together until I fell for a set of ‘cafe arrows’ which added another K to the day. I know that’s not much, but when I realised I cried with pain for the first time in my (rather long) adult life.

To cap it all the place was closed.

The only reason the owners of Casona de Navalmedio are not returning to a smoking ruin is that I had no source of ignition on my person. I really did take it rather badly.

I’m off to have another look at Segovia, Valladolid and Medina del Campo. I’m retired, funded and flexible - so it’s not a crisis. The sun is shining, Henry is happily waiting in the kennels. Life could be far worse.

I really appreciate all the advice and research above, which I can now read properly.

I should probably make an exception for the Orujo which, I’m fairly sure, has wiped out my gut flora. I have spoken to a GP friend of mine who says that the product itself is fine, it’s the method of application which is at fault. Apparantly it’s best rubbed on the affected part as a form of massage oil.

I’ll be back in February and pick up where I left off.

David

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Anybody care to help me pass the time whilst I wait for my regular physio to reply.

I don't have answers but I"m so sorry this happened to you.
I fear it myself on my VDLP coming up with this Morton's Neuroma.
I've just decided to go for it, walk short stages, and see what happens.
Best wishes and I hope you heal quickly and can keep walking!

I don't have answers but I"m so sorry this happened to you.
I fear it myself on my VDLP coming up with this Morton's Neuroma.
I've just decided to go for it, walk short stages, and see what happens.
Best wishes and I hope you heal quickly and can keep walking!
The fear of failure is worse than any reality of failing. Life is short - go for it.

I’m lucky, I can come back any time I want - and so I will.

buen camino.

Did anybody else see this AD on the forum post in several places?

Sorry it made me laugh.

All I can say is my wife walked with it and the only time she would complain was when I stopped to take photos etc, that was when it hurt to most, standing still.

Attachments

• Plantar.png
    Plantar.png
    1 MB · Views: 35
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Henrythedog
I’m sorry I’m so late to the party but as this is a recurring issue, I’ll post anyway.
The underlying issue is mechanical and Tinca is right about the weight distribution vis-à-vis your centre of gravity: weight forward puts extra pressure on the arch. You need to lean back a bit.
It’s a biomechanical problem and In the short term you have to take pressure of the tension in the arch. The only way you can accomplish that quickly is with an orthotic that allows you to essentially bear most the weight on the arch itself rather than the heel and forefoot.
This can be accomplished by bespoke orthotics, off the hook (I use dr Scholl) or hand made using folded and carved cardboard under your insole. You will need to feel the unusual sensation of walking on your arches themselves for this to be effective. Beware that the skin there is soft and unless you use tape or Vaseline you will likely develop a blister on the middle of your foot. of your homemade orthotic is too lumpy you may get bruising.
I’m not an podiatrist but a physician and serial sufferer as well as successful treater of Plantar Fasciitis.
By way of a testimonial I started to get the pains about a week into my Camino this year and walked a further 65 days to complete it by adjusting my posture and use of orthotics. When walking the Le Puy Route in 2016 we shared a Chambre d’Hotes with a woman who was taking 3 weeks off for her PF. I gave her one of my orthotics and a week later she passed us on the Chemin.
I hope you get to walk your Camino in the future. Enjoy your holiday.
John

Hi ,
So sorry to hear you have this affliction!!!
Best thing to avoid is any flat and hard shoes and hard flooring. When I soffered from it I also found respite in wearing wedged cushioned shoes
I would also use arnica gel often as it is antiinflammatory...
So definitely cushioned arch support insole
Would improve it. I agree vaseline would also help.
Hope it gets better soon..I know it felt really unnerving and upsetting having to walk when every step was a dose of pain..
My best wish for a quick recovery! Ultreia!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

plantar fasciitis

I tape tape tape your feet 🦶

I have it too... lots of quick to learn exercises on utube...I hope they help..very painful I hope it gets better.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Those several of you who suggested tape may well have the interim answer. It took a little while to get hold of some suitable tape but with the help of YouTube I’ve applied it and I think that I have progress.

I gritted my teeth and with the help of a lift up and down the road section staggered up and down Funfria in driving snow. I also got a taxi pickup to avoid the road walking into Segovia. There a farmacia produced tape.

I’m going to carry on but in the available time will probably only get to Valladolid this time.

Still - life’s good.

These support bandages were a game changer for my PF, learned about them from another pilgrim on this site: www.supportthefoot.com. Same idea as tape, but I think easier to use. Hope you feel better soon!

I used a heelease before my Camino. Also tens machines are good. You could order one from Amazon and get it delivered to a pickup point.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had horrid PF and had to wear braces that kept my feet hyperflexed at night so I could walk in the morning. I was determined to walk the CF anyway.. packed my braces and started in SJPP. I ended up being able to trash my braces about 1/2 way to Santiago and have had no problems since!! I think the long walking up and down mountains/hills stretched my fascia and I actually wear a larger shoe now! The Camino was a miracle for me!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.