• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Platypus vs Camelback?

renegadepilgrim

Veteran Pilgrim and Traveler
Time of past OR future Camino
2010: Camino Frances, 2011: Santo Domingo de la Calzada (Hospitalera), 2012: Camino Portuguese from Porto, 2015: Camino Norte
I have a Camelback bladder already. Been considering the Platypus water bottles for the following reasons:

1) The are more compatible with my SteriPen
2) They roll down to nothing
3) They will fit well in the side pouches on my backpack

The Camelback is:
1) Too difficult to get to in my pack
2) Not as compatible with my SteriPen
3) More bulky

Has anyone had experience with the Platypus water bottles? Please keep in mind that for me, the Camino is just the first part of a 4 1/2 month trip for me. I need to consider the camino AND the rest of my trip.

I'm leaning towards the Platypus, just want to see if others have experience with them. I love my Camelback, just not sure if it's the right fight for this trip, and the rest of the traveling I am doing.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A platypus is nearly indestructable. I brought 10 of them full of wine on a 16 day raft trip through the grand canyon without a leak.

Camelbacks are good for biking where cow dung splatters all over your water bottles. Other than that, they are just extra weight and bulk

I love my Camelback. I find that I'm more inclined to sip water more often when it's so easily available - and that has to be good. Some people just don't drink enough if they can't get to their water easily.
Jacki.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks everyone....leaning towards getting two of the platypus, one for each pocket on my backpack.

Can you show photos (give reference for photos) of Platypus and Camelback you are talking about?

I was sure that Camelback is just a general name for a type of bags for bikers, and that I have it for years but it looks more like Platypus bag... And have just found that my daughter has a big bottle which has a name "Camelback" on it... I have googled some and it did not helped :?

Thanks,
Natalia

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
?are there any comments on the size/ capacity of the water bladder

i will be walking the vdlp in sept/ oct this holy year
and want to make certain i have sufficient water no matter what the conditions and how far between villages

i am thinking of getting a 3lt capacity but only filling it to the literage required for that specific day

my experience of having water in side mesh pockets and walking with 2 walking stix means i dont drink as often as i should
and stopping to take of/ put back on my pack is tiring and a schlepp

so a bladder is not negotiable for me
?or is it

all advice welcome please

take it easy

tamtamplin

I love the Platypus, the same bottle has lasted 2000 km already. No plastic taste. I have it in a cooling pouch with a hook so I hook it over my waiststrap and have it handy, which reduces pack weight on my back. I carry a spare one in case I strike a very hot day, but have not had to use it as yet. The side pocket on the Civetta 32 backpack is exactly the same size as the Platypus when full, so sometimes I put the water in there if I use that pack. On my first camino I had a spanish animal skin thing, but it was hopeless to carry, I bought that because I hated the aluminium bottle I had. It was hard and bulky and I had it hanging off my hip and worried I might fall on it.
Regards, Gitti

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The thing that worries me about a bladder on the Camino is being able to keep it clean enough. I kept a small aluminium bottle in the side pocket on the thigh of my trousers. It was no problem to take it out for frequent drinks. When it was empty it was time to fill it from a fuente or take my rucksack off and fill from a reserve bottle.

Andy

Keeping the Platypus 1 litre bottle/bag clean was no problem, the emptier it got the smaller it became, I swear by it, Gitti

Am I missing something? Why is a camelback difficult to keep clean? To me a camelback is just like a platypus in that it gets smaller as the contents are drunk except it is packed out of the way and yet is accessible at all times.
Jacki.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Platypus is significantly lighter when empty than the Camelbaks. I am not done traveling at the end of the Camino, I will be continuing on an around the world trip. I need something more flexible and lighter than the Camelbak. I just bought two 1L Platypus bladders today from REI. Can't wait to try them out!

Thanks, renegadepilgrim. It is helpful indeed :) I have a bottle by camelback, not bladder and this confused me.

My water bag is 1.5L and it is from Jack Wolfskin brand (extremely popular in Germany, practically not known anywhere else). It is not as light as Platypus but not much heavier and I used it during my hiking on Crete. It definitively was more convenient then bottles but the main question with water bag is that I never know how much water is remaining inside. I was catching myself that I am afraid to drink as much as I want because I was afraid that I would run out of water without noticing it. At the end of hiking I usually still had plenty. How do you check your water supply in bladder?

Natalia

I have an Osprey Aura backpack that has some nice pockets on the side for the water bladders. I am going to put a Liter in each pocket and when I stop for water breaks, I'll be able to monitor my water levels that way.

As for my Camelbak, when hiking, I try to keep an eye on it by judging the weight of my pack. The more water I drink, the lighter my pack seems to get, so I try to keep an eye on it that way. Not very scientific, but it works for me! :)

I guess I will find out if this is going to work or not sometime next week! I leave Monday for France, hitting the Camino on the 17th......

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.